Moving aircon compressor slightly due to vibrating

Would it be feasible to self-raise my aircon compressor 25mm and insert vibrating damping mounts, Lazada sells them for next to nothing https://www.lazada.co.th/products/legend-4pcs-anti-vibration-rubber-mount-damper-shock-pad-cushion-for-air-conditioning-i2693091177-s9710379593.html

Compressor is 9000BTU, mounted on a shelf, its about 1.7m high, and accessible,  it's only a few months old so it is unlikely dirt imo, there is significant vibration / loud humming noise when the fan is on full into my bedroom that's on the other side of the wall. Whilst not visible, I can actually feel the vibration on the shelf if I hold it, so that's my starting point.

I am worried about causing a leak but I only need 3cm clearance, will these pipes tolerate it? 

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 21.09.54.png

Edited by farang9392
  • Like 1

Rubber grommets will help the vibration, but the humming is coming from the compressor, and I presume an inverter type aircon, and this probably cannot be fixed. Many inverter units, of various manufacturers make a humming noise.

As for the rubber grommets. Don't buy them too big in height, then cut them, so they will open up and slide in around the bolt. Just loosen the bolts/nuts enough to accommodate this.  Should help.

Also might try putting 2-3 braces between the unit and the house wall, so the unit cannot move, which might also help stop the vibration.

Good luck..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Mitsubishi inverter.

How would the braces work? Do you mean slot in a third brace in addition to the one on the left and right? I think that would mean moving the unit significantly as in bringing it full down and refilling?

On the grommets, do you think I have the maneuverability to do this without a professional and without removing and refilling the r32? The ones on lazada are 25mm, will that height be a good starting point?

Sometimes rubber mounts can make matters worse if they allow movement that becomes a harmonic vibration.  The thicker the rubber, the greater the chance of this happening.  I used to install machinery and often found a rubber washer or 2 was better at absorbing minor vibration.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

Sometimes rubber mounts can make matters worse if they allow movement that becomes a harmonic vibration.  The thicker the rubber, the greater the chance of this happening.  I used to install machinery and often found a rubber washer or 2 was better at absorbing minor vibration.

As I said just a rubber grommet not too high/thick. but rubber washers is also basically the same....so either way a good starting point.

From your picture, the unit is just sitting on the frame, as is normal. What I meant was fixed braces (of some type) on the upper portion of the unit and the house wall, which would keep the unit stable.   

As for you doing the work yourself, that's your call, and if you think its beyond your capabilities then get the guys that installed it to come and do it for you.

Looks like they did a good job, but not professional if they left out the rubber mounts on the frame. They should fix it for free. 

Rubber isolation pads should have come standard with the unit.  Guess your installers left 'em in the box.

Compressor unit is heavy.  You won't be able to do this yourself.  Hire any local AC guy to install rubber grommets.  Shouldn't cost much.

If they have to remove the unit, unlikely, they won't have to refill with gas.  Gas can be sucked back into the compressor for relocation.  The pipes are flexible.

4 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Rubber isolation pads should have come standard with the unit. 

Not the type the op is referring to.

8 hours ago, farang9392 said:

I am worried about causing a leak but I only need 3cm clearance, will these pipes tolerate it? 

Probably not given the layout of the pipes you show above. 

I use them on any wall mount install we do and they work really well.

Best get the air con fellas in to do it for you.

They are relatively cheap in Thailand and well worth it if you consider the cost if you dislodge a sealed flare joint.

8 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Rubber grommets will help the vibration, but the humming is coming from the compressor, and I presume an inverter type aircon, and this probably cannot be fixed. Many inverter units, of various manufacturers make a humming noise.

As for the rubber grommets. Don't buy them too big in height, then cut them, so they will open up and slide in around the bolt. Just loosen the bolts/nuts enough to accommodate this.  Should help.

Also might try putting 2-3 braces between the unit and the house wall, so the unit cannot move, which might also help stop the vibration.

Good luck..

Sorry but I would not recommend braces unless they also incorporate rubber isolating dampers. Just install new rubber dampers at the base and check the fan for dirt build up, it may be causing the vibration due to out of balance. Clean it. Solid dampers to the wall will simply transfer any vibration to the wall.

9 hours ago, farang9392 said:

Compressor is 9000BTU, mounted on a shelf, its about 1.7m high, and accessible,  it's only a few months old so it is unlikely dirt imo, there is significant vibration / loud humming noise when the fan is on full into my bedroom that's on the other side of the wall. Whilst not visible, I can actually feel the vibration on the shelf if I hold it, so that's my starting point.

Do the raise with rubber mounts, that should get rid of any vibration felt, as for the humming that's from within the unit and is a different matter.

I have two units mounted on brackets, one has no rubber and the other has a bit of rubber mat under each bolt position. I would get a bit of rubber mat ,cut it to size, loosen all four bolts then remove one bolt at a time and slip the mat under and refit the bolt. Tighten all bolts at the end.

20230523_093030.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

We called the aircon people and they said no need, they only put on around 5% of inverters nowadays and thats only when a customer requests. No mention of vibration effects.  Seems this just made their own guidelines up here and rolled with it.

We told them everyone has them in the area - all surrounding rooms - then came the fear story - they expand and shrink in hot weather so after a year the back will be higher than the front on south facing aircons so they will become unstable, so you'll need to replace after 1 year - you still need?

We reminded them that they did the aircon next door and that has, and same brand inverter, they replied they stop putting them in the last year due to the above. Forever saving face, amazing persistence. I am okay with servicing it every year as part of cleaning and pressure check if they need replacing, maybe add a few hundred baht per service if that gives me a quiet vibration minimal aircon, it sounds as weak as I dont put oil in the bike because after six months it will be dirty and need replacing anyway.

Then okay okay, next time we're in the area we'll install, but in the meantime they are sending 2 to me so I can fix this week as next time in Thai is nondeterministic - if I cant do it ill have to wait till they are in the area or pay someone else. Best I can do with these people. Some progress anyway.

Apparently the ones they are sending are one per bracket - so two per aircon - rather than 1 per bolt (or 4 per aircon)

Edited by farang9392

45 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

then came the fear story - they expand and shrink in hot weather so after a year the back will be higher than the front on south facing aircons so they will become unstable, so you'll need to replace after 1 year - you still need?

I have 6 aircons on wall mounts, 4 inverters and 2 conventional, and they all have rubber feets for the past 12 years,.

Never had to replace one

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, farang9392 said:

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

We called the aircon people and they said no need, they only put on around 5% of inverters nowadays and thats only when a customer requests. No mention of vibration effects.  Seems this just made their own guidelines up here and rolled with it.

We told them everyone has them in the area - all surrounding rooms - then came the fear story - they expand and shrink in hot weather so after a year the back will be higher than the front on south facing aircons so they will become unstable, so you'll need to replace after 1 year - you still need?

We reminded them that they did the aircon next door and that has, and same brand inverter, they replied they stop putting them in the last year due to the above. Forever saving face, amazing persistence. I am okay with servicing it every year as part of cleaning and pressure check if they need replacing, maybe add a few hundred baht per service if that gives me a quiet vibration minimal aircon, it sounds as weak as I dont put oil in the bike because after six months it will be dirty and need replacing anyway.

Then okay okay, next time we're in the area we'll install, but in the meantime they are sending 2 to me so I can fix this week as next time in Thai is nondeterministic - if I cant do it ill have to wait till they are in the area or pay someone else. Best I can do with these people. Some progress anyway.

Apparently the ones they are sending are one per bracket - so two per aircon - rather than 1 per bolt (or 4 per aircon)

Yes Thai aircon fitters always know better than the manufactures. :giggle:

if the rubbers don't fix it. put the aircon on the floor of your balcony.

I did this 10 years ago. all problems gone away.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1