Netflix’s password sharing restriction has come to Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

If you’ve been sharing your Netflix password, expect an email in your inbox sometime soon informing you that it will cost you extra now that Thailand is one of the countries implementing restrictions. 

The streaming giant has talked about cracking down on password sharing for a while now, a common practice with its subscribers, which is probably why a lot of people have criticised the move. However, Netflix has started to slowly roll out the restriction, beginning in the West while other regions followed afterwards. 

It was only a matter of time before it eventually reached Thailand’s shores, and that time has now come. Netflix made a blog post announcing that subscribers in Thailand will now either have to give up sharing their password with anyone not living with them or pay an extra fee to keep doing so.

By ERIC E. SURBANO

[Hero image: Thibault Penin/Unsplash]

Full story: https://www.lifestyleasia.com/bk/entertainment/streaming/netflix-password-sharing-thailand/

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright Lifestyle Asia 2023-05-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've got a subscription for a certain number of devices concurrently using Netflix. If they'll make a fuss because myself and members of my household are traveling frequently, thus obviously using Netflix in different locations on occasion, I'll simply cancel the subscription. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I got an email from them this morning. We'll approach it like many here, by ignoring it. If Netflix continue we'll just cancel our subscription. The only reason we've kept using it is for the Korean series that are sometimes decent. The western material just annoys us now on there. 

Wife loves the Korean dramas, romances, and comedies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

A VPN only masks your actual location. A password is still required to use each subscription, regardless of where in the world you are.

Actually using a VPN will show a different IP address, so a different location. Which would then be considered password sharing. Besides that Netflix has been screening for VPN use as well the last few years. Not always successful on their side though. 

• Like 2

I spend half of the year in USA and other half in Thailand. I asked Netflix how to handle this and they told me I need to cancel service in USA and get new service when I come to Thailand. I believe I can still keep preferences and history. As expected service in Thailand is less expensive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Well worth the subscription cost to me for the subtitles alone. 

PS Also a fan of the Korean series, for good British series I use my Android box, but very rarely (can’t think of once) can I get Thai subtitles  

I agree the subtitles are useful to help hear the dialogue as the mumbling is infuriating at times. 

My wife arranges the Netflix deal, but a lot of the western programs are available through my android box with subtitles. Sharing a subscription meant we were happy to support Netflix. If we can no longer share, the 400+ a month isn't worth it to us based on our usage. Like us, our friends don't get home til 8/9pm every evening, weekends excluded. 

• Like 1

The article stated, "Downloads are also limited to just one phone or tablet. ".   My assumption is that the downloads, if allowed, can also be done using a computer, and the author of the article left that device out.

Can anyone advise if my assumption is correct?   I do not have netflix but have considered getting it in Thailand if I have any extended stays of 3 months or longer.      

10 hours ago, Krabi King said:

Actually using a VPN will show a different IP address, so a different location. Which would then be considered password sharing. Besides that Netflix has been screening for VPN use as well the last few years. Not always successful on their side though. 

not successful at all, i often watch netflix from other territories

• Like 1

https://about.netflix.com/th/news/update-on-sharing-may-th

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/bk/entertainment/streaming/netflix-password-sharing-thailand/#:~:text=Netflix made a blog post,fee to keep doing so.

Extra Member is 99 THB/month.

4 hours ago, radiochaser said:

My assumption is that the downloads, if allowed, can also be done using a computer, and the author of the article left that device out.

Can anyone advise if my assumption is correct?   

Yes. You have to DL and run their app in Windows on your PC.

Pricing (Thai Baht)
Mobile: 99 THB / month

Basic: 169 THB / month

Standard: 349 THB / month (extra member slots* can be added for 99 THB each / month)

Premium: 419 THB / month (extra member slots* can be added for 99 THB each / month)

NOTE: *Extra members have their own account and password, but their membership is paid for by the person who invited them to share their Netflix account. Your plan determines how many extra member slots you can add.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thanks 2

On 5/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, bamnutsak said:

https://about.netflix.com/th/news/update-on-sharing-may-th

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/bk/entertainment/streaming/netflix-password-sharing-thailand/#:~:text=Netflix made a blog post,fee to keep doing so.

Extra Member is 99 THB/month.

Yes. You have to DL and run their app in Windows on your PC.

Pricing (Thai Baht)
Mobile: 99 THB / month

Basic: 169 THB / month

Standard: 349 THB / month (extra member slots* can be added for 99 THB each / month)

Premium: 419 THB / month (extra member slots* can be added for 99 THB each / month)

NOTE: *Extra members have their own account and password, but their membership is paid for by the person who invited them to share their Netflix account. Your plan determines how many extra member slots you can add.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926

Thank you. 

Netflix has introduced measures to address password sharing in Thailand. This move aims to ensure that only authorized users have access to Netflix accounts, preventing unauthorized sharing of login credentials among multiple individuals.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the full story as it was my mate's GF who was having the problem but it seems that my Netflix subscription (Premium 419b) has stopped working for them (they're in Bangkok I'm in Pattaya) so he's purchased his own subscription. 

Will check with the GF's mate who's also using it in Bangkok to see if it's still working for her.

Anybody else find that the block on password sharing is starting to take effect?

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Anybody else find that the block on password sharing is starting to take effect?

As of today, no changes for us. But I'm fully expecting to, and am prepared to, have to pay +99 baht/mo.

There are some hacks, but it's probably not worth the effort.

• Like 1