Inguinal hernia doctor recommendations

Vadis

Hello. I am an older American living in Vietnam. I met a guy who suggested that I should contact Ms. Sheril for direction of who to contact for an inguinal hernia (open) surgery in Thailand. That Ms. Sheril would be able to direct me to which hospital and doctor(s) that would be best. Please Ms. Sheril if you can, suggest surgeons that I can contact for this procedure.

Thank you and all the best,

Vadis

I have had an inguinal hernia for ovet 5 years. I have been checked by three doctors. Two of them said do nothing and one said get it done before I get too old. One told me that there are two types of inguinal hernia, one which can cause issues for the testicles and one which will cause no issues. I have the latter so I did nothing.

I do regular physical exercise including weight lifting and never had a problem.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1

In Thailand  recommend this doctor at St Louis hospital in Bangkok  :

DR.NARONGSAK JONGSIRI

https://www.saintlouis.or.th/en/index

Cost will vary depending on whether open or laparoscopic surgery. Laparoscopic is  easier on the patient (smaller incision) but technically more3 complex to perform and more costly. This doctor can do either.  Note that in case of choosing laparoscopic, it sometimes proves necessary to switch mid-surgery to open approach anyhow and you still have to pay the added laparoscopic cost.

Very approximately, will cost about 125k baht for open approach and 200K for laparoscopic, assuming you opt for semi private room , but need to confirm with the hospital.

I believe you could get this done for less in Viet Nam and there are some quite good private international hospitals there. e.g

(Hanoi)   https://www.hfh.com.vn/en/node/30

https://cih.com.vn/en/

(HCHM) https://www.vinmec.com/en/

I suggest you contact these first unless you are planning to come to Thailand anyhow.  No value added to getting something like this done in Thailand vs. VN....just added cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In Thailand  recommend this doctor at St Louis hospital in Bangkok  :

DR.NARONGSAK JONGSIRI

https://www.saintlouis.or.th/en/index

Cost will vary depending on whether open or laparoscopic surgery. Laparoscopic is  easier on the patient (smaller incision) but technically more3 complex to perform and more costly. This doctor can do either.  Note that in case of choosing laparoscopic, it sometimes proves necessary to switch mid-surgery to open approach anyhow and you still have to pay the added laparoscopic cost.

Very approximately, will cost about 125k baht for open approach and 200K for laparoscopic, assuming you opt for semi private room , but need to confirm with the hospital.

I believe you could get this done for less in Viet Nam and there are some quite good private international hospitals there. e.g

(Hanoi)   https://www.hfh.com.vn/en/node/30

https://cih.com.vn/en/

(HCHM) https://www.vinmec.com/en/

I suggest you contact these first unless you are planning to come to Thailand anyhow.  No value added to getting something like this done in Thailand vs. VN....just added cost.

Thank you do very much for your comments. I truly appreciate it. 

Vadis

13 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

This Bangkok hospital offers fixed priced hernia packages but, as always, barring complications.

No hospital will give you any definitive answers until one of their own doctors examines you in person.  

https://www.petcharavejhospital.com/en/Package/package_detail/laparoscopic_surgery_hernia

I understand this and it kinda makes sense bc there could be complications. Thanks for you insight.

Vadis 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:06 PM, ozimoron said:

I have had an inguinal hernia for ovet 5 years. I have been checked by three doctors. Two of them said do nothing and one said get it done before I get too old. One told me that there are two types of inguinal hernia, one which can cause issues for the testicles and one which will cause no issues. I have the latter so I did nothing.

I do regular physical exercise including weight lifting and never had a problem.

What diagnostic method is best to know if my hernia is or will Impact my testicles?? Ultra sound or other??

Thanks nonetheless 

Vadis

6 minutes ago, Vadis said:

What diagnostic method is best to know if my hernia is or will Impact my testicles?? Ultra sound or other??

Thanks nonetheless 

Vadis

No idea. The doctor took one glance at it and determined that it was the less dangerous type. No tests. Another doctor sent me for an ultrasound but it was unremarkable. To me it seems like a fairly large tear, about 2 or 3 inches long but has not progressed. A doctor did say it would be problem if it ever emerged suficiently to cause strangulation but not otherwise.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No idea. The doctor took one glance at it and determined that it was the less dangerous type. No tests. Another doctor sent me for an ultrasound but it was unremarkable. To me it seems like a fairly large tear, about 2 or 3 inches long but has not progressed. A doctor did say it would be problem if it ever emerged suficiently to cause strangulation but not otherwise.

Avoiding the risk of strangulation is the main reason for repairing a hernia. Not being large enough to descend jnto the scrotum is not a reason to forego or delay surgery unless the patient is an unusual surgical risk due to other medical conditions.

Surgery will be more difficult and risks greater if deferred until complications set in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Avoiding the risk of strangulation is the main reason for repairing a hernia. Not being large enough to descend jnto the scrotum is not a reason to forego or delay surgery unless the patient is an unusual surgical risk due to other medical conditions.

Surgery will be more difficult and risks greater if deferred until complications set in.

So, in general do you think it's better to get it done that not? 2 GP's were quote adamant that I should just leave it while one said I should do it.

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So, in general do you think it's better to get it done that not? 2 GP's were quote adamant that I should just leave it while one said I should do it.

Do you have any high risk factors for surgery?

How old are you?

Normal international guidance is to surgically correct all inguinal hernias unless there is a reason not to i.e. unusual surgical risk

Who/where were these GPs?

Just now, Sheryl said:

Do you have any high risk factors for surgery?

How old are you?

Normal international guidance is to surgically correct all inguinal hernias unless there is a reason not to i.e. unusual surgical risk

Who/where were these GPs?

No

Two were Australian GP's in Darwin and one in Adelaide.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No

I can't explain this to you then.

Australia Medicare Benefits allow for repair of inguinal hernia and there is no qualifier such as "symptomatic".

At your age the abdominal wall will further weaken   with time and surgery will become riskier as well. If I were you I'd get it repaired.  Not on an emergency basis, but within say the coming year or so.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I can't explain this to you then.

Australia Medicare Benefits allow for repair of inguinal hernia and there is no qualifier such as "symptomatic".

At your age the abdominal wall will further weaken   with time and surgery will become riskier as well. If I were you I'd get it repaired.  Not on an emergency basis, but within say the coming year or so.

This quote is in line with my thinking. I'm 67 now and the abdominal wall may indeed become weaker over time. Sometimes the hernia seems to be pulling down on my stomach area. The only way to prevent the hernia from causing pain in my stomach area is the either hold the hernia in or by taking fiber the night b4. For some reason the fiber keeps the hernia from pulling or causing pain under my navel. So I am actively seeking this repair.  I just hope the surgeon is cautious not to injure the urinary or other tracts in this area.. sheesh!

I'm going to begin by having a few tests done. I did have 1 ultrasound done and the tech asked me if it hurt when I urinated. I said sometimes.. apparently the tear is facing the urinary tract..

Then the issue of mesh or possibly of a non mesh solution reoccurring.  

Lots to parse and I'm thankful for all who have added their comments to help me see this issue from several sides.. I'm truly grateful.. 

i have hernia at the goin small bump, doctor said its not urgent to laparoscopic surgery, but sooner or later i still need that surgery.

i have a question regarding hernia, every time you lay down the bump disappear presume it went back in, when you go on surgery, you will lay down to have the operation, how would the doctor know where it is to pull it back and stitch/mesh it up.

8 minutes ago, vinci said:

i have hernia at the goin small bump, doctor said its not urgent to laparoscopic surgery, but sooner or later i still need that surgery.

i have a question regarding hernia, every time you lay down the bump disappear presume it went back in, when you go on surgery, you will lay down to have the operation, how would the doctor know where it is to pull it back and stitch/mesh it up.

Very good question. See next.

12 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No

Do they think it actually is a hernia,  but they advise against operation? 

That would be difficult to understand. 

The result of surgery of an inguinal hernia is quite often unsatisfactory (meaning the patient had pain before the operation and he still has pain after operation). Nevertheless, unless there are some special risk factors for surgery operative treatment is the standard recommendation.

Or do they think it isn't a hernia after all? Many surgeons whose income depends on the numbers of operations operate on non-existing inguinal hernias. 

The diagnosis can only made clinically,  NOT  by ultrasound or some kind of fancy MRI (fMRI). Ultrasound can be helpful to exclude swollen lymph nodes or a persistent ductus vaginalis,  but it cannot prove the diagnosis of hernia. 

Find a surgeon who has no financial interest in your surgery (e.g. a surgeon working in a government hospital as a civil servant) and ask him for a diagnosis. 

• Like 1

Make sure you get a good one with references. I have a good friend who had this type of surgery when he was in his early 20's and they cut a nerve and 40 years later he says there is still a lot of numbness down there.

7 hours ago, vinci said:

A hernia occurs because of a weak spot in the abdominal wall.

This spot is directly visualized during surgery.

They do not operate on the "bump" ( which is actually a segment of intestine). They eliminate the space that the intestine is slipping through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Talk about coincidences, I am having an inguinal hernia operated on today. In Australia, laparoscopic.

Once all is said and done is it possible to please provide the total price for all that you encountered in the repair of ur hernia? Different country, I know. Just curious. 

And was a mesh installed as a part of the repaid?

Some ssay mesh in best to avoid reoccurance. Others say the mess causes irritatation. Any thoughts on mesh vs. no mesh?

Thank you,

Vadis

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A hernia occurs because of a weak spot in the abdominal wall.

This spot is directly visualized during surgery.

They do not operate on the "bump" ( which is actually a segment of intestine). They eliminate the space that the intestine is slipping through.

I've heard that hernias can reoccur at the same site of at the other side. Is there any specific thanks that can be done to strengthen the interior abdominal walls. I'd imagine this inner abdominal wall weakness is the crux of the hernia issue. 

Have any heard of ways to prevent hernias or their reoccurring? Perhaps certain exercises or vitamins or foods to support the inner abdominal walls??

Thanks,

Vadis

2 hours ago, Vadis said:

I've heard that hernias can reoccur at the same site of at the other side. Is there any specific thanks that can be done to strengthen the interior abdominal walls. I'd imagine this inner abdominal wall weakness is the crux of the hernia issue. 

Have any heard of ways to prevent hernias or their reoccurring? Perhaps certain exercises or vitamins or foods to support the inner abdominal walls??

Thanks,

Vadis

I had an inguinal hernia repaired in 1985.  Thirty years later ruptured again.  The doctor (in the US) explained that they had opened me up and stitched it back then, but that now (meaning 2017) it was done with a piece of mesh and no so much of the surface skin is slashed.  There have been discussions involving the mesh on the forum before, at least one poster told of complications.  The surgeon did tell me that if something went off after this mesh placement, it would be a Big Deal to fix it.

Excuse me for straying from the OP's question, but I am currently pending a decision on this:  my doctor is telling me I need a colonoscopy, I haven't had one in six years, and not since that 2nd hernia repair.  Every so often I'll get an ache in the spot in my abdomen, usually has to do with slight constipation or indigestion.  I suspect there may be something tenuous with this 2nd repair, and I'm concerned that the colonoscopy probe might do some damage.  I've been researching this, and have been told it shouldn't be a problem.  The idea is to avoid the consequences of cancer, but I'm concerned the detection process could offer result in something just as bad, and immediate.  Anyone?

Sorry for the distraction, does this warrant its own thread?

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

I had an inguinal hernia repaired in 1985.  Thirty years later ruptured again.  The doctor (in the US) explained that they had opened me up and stitched it back then, but that now (meaning 2017) it was done with a piece of mesh and no so much of the surface skin is slashed.  There have been discussions involving the mesh on the forum before, at least one poster told of complications.  The surgeon did tell me that if something went off after this mesh placement, it would be a Big Deal to fix it.

Excuse me for straying from the OP's question, but I am currently pending a decision on this:  my doctor is telling me I need a colonoscopy, I haven't had one in six years, and not since that 2nd hernia repair.  Every so often I'll get an ache in the spot in my abdomen, usually has to do with slight constipation or indigestion.  I suspect there may be something tenuous with this 2nd repair, and I'm concerned that the colonoscopy probe might do some damage.  I've been researching this, and have been told it shouldn't be a problem.  The idea is to avoid the consequences of cancer, but I'm concerned the detection process could offer result in something just as bad, and immediate.  Anyone?

Sorry for the distraction, does this warrant its own thread?

Colonoscopy will have no effect on the hernia repair at all. Any other questions on colonoscopy please  open a separate thread. 

It is common to get slight aches from time to time  at the site of any old injury or surgery and does not mean there is anything "tenuous" about the repair. 

• Thanks 1