How much could be saved?

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Because they are packed in egg crates and have been for a century.  

EGG (CRATE) Big

Then why not use that same concept for fruits such as apples, oranges, and pears instead of individually wrapping them? Most egg cartons are biodegradable. 

Where's the stickers on those eggs?  

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

Then why not use that same concept for fruits such as apples, oranges, and pears instead of individually wrapping them? Most egg cartons are biodegradable. 

Where's the stickers on those eggs?  

Not supporting stickers and when I packed eggs on family farm some 70 years ago there were none.  But the packing does help prevent damage.  As for fruits buyer wants to see is selling point - but on open shelf issue becomes buyer drops.

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not supporting stickers and when I packed eggs on family farm some 70 years ago there were none.  But the packing does help prevent damage.  As for fruits buyer wants to see is selling point - but on open shelf issue becomes buyer drops.

'Not supporting stickers.......'  That's one of the points I'm trying to make, eliminate the useless stickers and keep the product costs down.

50 years ago when I gathered eggs from our family farm we all used baskets. They were then placed in paper bags for prospective buyers.  I don't recall anyone complaining about damaged eggs.

Seatbelts and helmets supposedly saves lives but does everyone use them?

24 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

'Not supporting stickers.......'  That's one of the points I'm trying to make, eliminate the useless stickers and keep the product costs down.

I understand that - can't you accept agreement?  As for cost that sticker is likely only a fraction of a baht all told so really no motivation to remove (unless you have total monopoly and that fraction of a baht adds up to more than a normal producer gains in brand awareness).

52 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

50 years ago when I gathered eggs from our family farm we all used baskets. They were then placed in paper bags for prospective buyers.  I don't recall anyone complaining about damaged eggs.

Seatbelts and helmets supposedly saves lives but does everyone use them?

Did you not watch the video? Imported goods require labelling and people want to know where the produce comes from as some regions are known for bad spraying and lower standards. Apples from NZ/Aus are quality.

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If the apples did not have the little "sweaters " on , you would be on here

complaining why is it everytime I buy apples they are bruised ..........

Regards Worgeordie

except i dont buy apples wrapped in foam and I dont have a problem with briused fruit although i , quite literally, eat an apple a day.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Well researching I find the average cost for a sticker and sleeve combined is about $0.01 to $0.015 (USD). So my wild a$$ guess was way off.

But then one would have to ask, are they put on manually or with automated equipment?

If manually, how many pieces can the average employee do and what is the average wage?

If done with automated equipment then how much was that capital expense as well as the required space and repairs/maintenance?

Whatever the added costs, is it necessary?

I doubt that price they could be even cheaper, I would guess placing the sticker on it costs more than the sticker

22 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Well researching I find the average cost for a sticker and sleeve combined is about $0.01 to $0.015 (USD). So my wild a$$ guess was way off.

But then one would have to ask, are they put on manually or with automated equipment?

If manually, how many pieces can the average employee do and what is the average wage?

If done with automated equipment then how much was that capital expense as well as the required space and repairs/maintenance?

Whatever the added costs, is it necessary?

I have never worked in a retail business, nor read any research on consumer habits. However I can wager a bag of apple stickers that customer perception is the driving force. I do remember my mother explaining to me why supermarkets in the UK had effectively stopped selling apples that were not round and green. Apparently young people's expectation of an apple was it should be both round and green... 

I did work in industrial cleaning so I quite often looked at packaging equipment. A machine to label apples in moderate volumes is not expensive. Neither is the packaging machine that wraps it with bubblewrap or cellophane. I am guessing here, but the cost per apple over a ten-year usable lifespan will be in the 1 to 10 cent range. If that means selling more apples then it is most likely worth it.

3 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

I have never worked in a retail business, nor read any research on consumer habits. However I can wager a bag of apple stickers that customer perception... 

Who wants a straight banana?? 

23 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Getting an apple to eat today I was wondering, how much money do you think could be saved by eliminating the sticker and protective wrap on nearly every piece of fruit these days?

Might be a loss – i.e. price increase for the consumer – as the wrapping protects the apple during transportation. Do you wish buy damaged apples? However, someone has to pay for the damaged apples that cannot be sold, so the good apples will be more expensive...:whistling:

The sticker is there, so you can see it's a brand name quality...????

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Might be a loss – i.e. price increase for the consumer – 

The sticker is there, so you can see it's a brand name quality...????

Well of course everything is costed to the consumer. For my example the sticker and sleeve was already there. I was questioning, if they were removed would that lower the price?

'Brand name quality'....  What is that suppose to mean? I know what is meant by 'brand name' and what is meant by 'quality'.......but I have never heard them used together like that. What is it supposed to mean?

Besides, the sticker I pictured came from one apple within a bag of them. Every single apple had a sticker. Why not just put a single sticker on the bag?

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Did you not watch the video? Imported goods require labelling and people want to know where the produce comes from as some regions are known for bad spraying and lower standards. Apples from NZ/Aus are quality.

Yes, I watched the video. But why couldn't a single label be placed on the bag instead on each individual piece of fruit in the bag?

Besides the label on the apple I took the picture of has no information at all except the company name and the year the company was started ('Since 2002' for this apple). So where's the traceability number or other pertinent information at you're referencing the video about?

.....and to add more, who is to say that the codes on labels are true and valid? i.e. Using no pesticides, organically grown, etc.. Do you think all consumers know those codes or even looks them up before buying fruit?

41 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yes, I watched the video. But why couldn't a single label be placed on the bag instead on each individual piece of fruit in the bag?

Besides the label on the apple I took the picture of has no information at all except the company name and the year the company was started ('Since 2002' for this apple). So where's the traceability number or other pertinent information at you're referencing the video about?

.....and to add more, who is to say that the codes on labels are true and valid? i.e. Using no pesticides, organically grown, etc.. Do you think all consumers know those codes or even looks them up before buying fruit?

Maybe something better to think about

It is not only, in this case, protecting but also selling.

The sticker is indeed to put companies label on it, so you buy more from this company, as you are amazed by the good handling and protection. But you pay.

And then you throw it away, waste.

I never buy an apple in Thailand, there are way more other fruits from Thailand.

I can recommend mangostene, jack fruit, nonai, mango, soursop

You want crunchy try a farang, not ripe mango.

Lots of Thai fruit to explore. 

Chanel makes perfume, they calculated (in tv docu) how much it would cost to produce.

The cost were all done, about 5 euro. Never the less in the shop it will cost you 30, 40 or more euro. That is called profit. And the sticker on bottle and the box shows brand, so you buy again.

LEVI orders jeans from China, then send to USA where they tag it with the red LEVI label. Cost in China 25$/jeans, you buying it at 300$. Called profit. and the red LEVI tag makes people crazy to buy.

Coffee filters are brown, but they bleach it, so people have nice white coffee filters.

If you dont bleach, it saves you a lot of bleach, but they started it once to have it white. So people want white.

Washing powder or liquids are normally white/transparent. They put in color to make it look nice. The color doesnt add anything to washing proces, but waste.

Yes you throw away all package material, called waste, garbage then.

You buy water bottles to drink water, the bottle is waste with stickers on it.

23 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

'Brand name quality'....  What is that suppose to mean? I know what is meant by 'brand name' and what is meant by 'quality'.......but I have never heard them used together like that. What is it supposed to mean?

Besides, the sticker I pictured came from one apple within a bag of them. Every single apple had a sticker. Why not just put a single sticker on the bag?

'Brand name quality'....

–Because a brand name normally reflects quality, that's why many people buy brand name products. A survey showed that mainly people with limited funds boughts brand names, as they couldn't afford to buy something, which didn't have the right quality, throw it away and buy something else instead. Loaded folks can afford that...:whistling:

Every single apple had a sticker.

The packing in a plastic bag might be done by the retailer, the producer and exporter normally sells fruit wholesale in a box.