How much could be saved?

Getting an apple to eat today I was wondering, how much money do you think could be saved by eliminating the sticker and protective wrap on nearly every piece of fruit these days?

I would guess the savings could be passed down to the consumer (but probably kept by the greedy companies) and it would be 5-15%.

What's your thoughts?

.......and to add, I wonder how environmentally safe those stickers and little protective sweaters are?

image.jpeg.8ca6f67dde45a7e769d85c3b82f4ed4d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If the apples did not have the little "sweaters " on , you would be on here

complaining why is it everytime I buy apples they are bruised ..........

Regards Worgeordie

Really? Then why is it all the eggs I buy are not broken? Hmmmmm.......

And just so you know I find bruises on apples that have the sleeves on them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Your 5-15% is more than likely five to ten times too high. 

Well researching I find the average cost for a sticker and sleeve combined is about $0.01 to $0.015 (USD). So my wild a$$ guess was way off.

But then one would have to ask, are they put on manually or with automated equipment?

If manually, how many pieces can the average employee do and what is the average wage?

If done with automated equipment then how much was that capital expense as well as the required space and repairs/maintenance?

Whatever the added costs, is it necessary?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is up with all the nonsense topics being posted on AN as of late? Are some members being paid or incentivized to post as many topics as possible to increase activity, or what's going on?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Myran said:

What is up with all the nonsense topics being posted on AN as of late? Are some members being paid or incentivized to post as many topics as possible to increase activity, or what's going on?

IMO it's a mix of relevance deprivation syndrome. and people with too much time on their hands, or nothing better to do.

I do have to marvel at OP's which are 15 - 20 paragraphs, expressed either coherently or incoherently.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

But then one would have to ask, are they put on manually or with automated equipment?

If manually, how many pieces can the average employee do and what is the average wage?

If done with automated equipment then how much was that capital expense as well as the required space and repairs/maintenance?

Whatever the added costs, is it necessary?

Apples intrigue you? Not enough money in that. I suggest you go after the Petrol sellers. PTT, and Shell would be interesting to check out. You do seem to have the time and will. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Really? Then why is it all the eggs I buy are not broken? Hmmmmm.......

And just so you know I find bruises on apples that have the sleeves on them.

Because they are packed in egg crates and have been for a century.  

EGG (CRATE) Big

• Like 1