Multi entry non o for the first time?? (Thai child) But how?

Hello

I have a daughter in Thailand and I visit her regularly in Thailand from the UK.

Up until now I’ve usually used a single entry non O, 3 months extendable to 5, although occasionally I’ve used the multi entry 6 month tourist visa, extendable to 9. I’m staying longer each time, but the METV isn’t really the correct visa and with it, I have to leave the country every few months, which can be a pain. 

The best option i think is my applying for a 12 month multi-entry non o based on Thai family (daughter)… and I wondered if anyone could help me with the process. I can have 400k baht in a Thai bank account for 3 months for financial reasons, , or alternatively (and preferred) I can show a similar amount in GBP through UK back accounts, for a similar period.

I have the Thai birth certificate with my name and certified translation, copy of Tabien Baan with my daughter’s name on. 

1) What other documents / details do I need

2) Is it possible to get this year long visa before entering Thailand, for example by applying at the Thai embassy in London or another Thai embassy such as Phnom Penh ?

3) If not, what would be the best way to enter Thailand….a 3 month non o single entry which is somehow “upgraded”, or, say by visa exempt and apply in Thailand? 

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can give. 

You should be able to get a NON-O 90 days in any embassy with the documents you have. They might need something else as well, best to check the requirements they want.

For Savannakhet your docs would be enough: https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

Afterwards you could get the 12 months extension in the local immigration, with the child accompanying you and 400k proof. You might be also asked to provide photos of you and your child and some other stuff the IO will make up on case to case basis.

Best is to go and extend the NON-O with 60 days with the documents you have + accompanying child and ask the IO what he wants to see for the 12 month extension.

You could also fly in with 30 days extension on arrival and change to NON-O inside the country.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, there are (as far as I know) no embassies or consulates near Thailand that will issue you a one-year multiple entry Non O to visit your Thai child. It is easy to get single entry visas. At one time, Penang issued the multiple entry Non O to visit Thai child (with proof of 400k baht equivalent in the bank) but a recent report said they no longer provide them.

You could contact the Thai embassy in the UK to see if you can apply for a multiple entry Non O to visit your Thai child through the e-visa system and (if so) the requirements. It might be possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, sureno said:

The best option i think is my applying for a 12 month multi-entry non o based on Thai family (daughter)…

OP, where would be applying for this visa? 

Years ago was available in Penang.

Not currently available.

Also not available at Vientiane or Savannakhet

Info I got back start of may, 

"Thank you for your email.

Please gather all the required documents before starting your application

1)

You may apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa if you are married to a Thai national, or have a Thai citizen child (with your name as a father on the birth certificate), For a dependent for your spouse/children as you're going to work in Thailand (Non-Immigrant B) as a Non-Immigrant O staying with your family it will be single entry only. (Please do not submit multiple entries)The visa fee is not refundable.

Please see the documents required, please follow the steps below.

Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family residing in Thailand single Maximum stay of 90 days/ 3 months validity) or Multiple (Maximum stay 90 days per entry/validity for 1 year)

A list of documents

1.  Passport or travel document with validity, not less than 6 months, and at least 2 blank pages

2.  Your recent photo (selfie is acceptable)

3.  Marriage certificate / Birth Certificate 

4.  Spouse's Thai ID card/passport

5.  Financial evidence showing savings of not less than £10,000 for multiple entry visa, or £1,000 for single entry, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month 

6.  Proof of residency e.g. council tax bills, driving license

7. Travel history in the last 1 year- please upload a page of your passport with a visa stamp, or a blank page if not travelled in the past year

8. Photo of the applicant holding his/her passport

9. Your flight and accommodation (hotel booking for the first few days will be acceptable) details"

I'm just needing a single entry at the moment, but reckon I would need a Multi again 2026 onwards (like I had before )  

There is a note on the eVISA that to get the Embassy will need a reason why you need to visit Thailand Frequently for a Multi.

I thought the Multi non-O had stopped in Jun 2019, at London, but there was a thread a few weeks ago an a few people had been issued them in recent months. I'll try and find the thread...

edit..

https://aseannow.com/topic/1286952-multiple-entry-non-o-london/

Edited by UKresonant

OP - in your case you have 3 options:

#1 - Applying for the e Non Imm O Visa for reason of dependant child.  The UK Thai Embassy can provide you with either the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant child or the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for dependant child.  The requirements are different so you can opt for the Visa that best meets your needs.

Note that the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa requires you to exit Thaland after 90 days or alternatively apply for a 60-day extension at your local Imm Office for visting your dependant child (but after those 150 days you need to exit Thalland by doing a border-hop and obviously you can immediately return and repeat the above).

#2 - Entering Thailand Visa Exempt (without Visa) or on a 60-day Tourist Visa, and at the end of the Permit to stay for either entry, head to the Savannakhet Consultate (across the Mekhong near Mukdahan) and apply there for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant child. It's a quick process with minimal bureaucracy and you will get the Visa day after application.

#3 - Entering Thailand Visa Exempt (without Visa) or on a 60-day Tourist Visa, and at the end of the Permit to stay for either entry when still having at least 15 days left on your Permit to stay, apply at your local Imm Office for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant child.  Re the financial requirements > that application only requires you ,to provide evidence of 400K on a personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application, after which you are free to use the funds as you please (no seasoning requirements for a dependant Thai child application). 

And then at the end of those 90 days apply for a 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O dependant child Visa.  Funds-wise once again evidence of 400K on your personal thai bank-account at moment of application and once again free to use those funds afterwards as you please without any seasoning requirements.

>> Note that you should enquire at your local Imm Office for their requirements for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant Thai child and subsequent 1-year extension of such Visa, as the LOCAL requirements might be different than the general ones which I have outlined higher.

Cheers and succes!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Info I got back start of may, 

"Thank you for your email.

Please gather all the required documents before starting your application

1)

You may apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa if you are married to a Thai national, or have a Thai citizen child (with your name as a father on the birth certificate), For a dependent for your spouse/children as you're going to work in Thailand (Non-Immigrant B) as a Non-Immigrant O staying with your family it will be single entry only. (Please do not submit multiple entries)The visa fee is not refundable.

Please see the documents required, please follow the steps below.

Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family residing in Thailand single Maximum stay of 90 days/ 3 months validity) or Multiple (Maximum stay 90 days per entry/validity for 1 year)

A list of documents

1.  Passport or travel document with validity, not less than 6 months, and at least 2 blank pages

2.  Your recent photo (selfie is acceptable)

3.  Marriage certificate / Birth Certificate 

4.  Spouse's Thai ID card/passport

5.  Financial evidence showing savings of not less than £10,000 for multiple entry visa, or £1,000 for single entry, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month 

6.  Proof of residency e.g. council tax bills, driving license

7. Travel history in the last 1 year- please upload a page of your passport with a visa stamp, or a blank page if not travelled in the past year

8. Photo of the applicant holding his/her passport

9. Your flight and accommodation (hotel booking for the first few days will be acceptable) details"

I'm just needing a single entry at the moment, but reckon I would need a Multi again 2026 onwards (like I had before )  

There is a note on the eVISA that to get the Embassy will need a reason why you need to visit Thailand Frequently for a Multi.

I thought the Multi non-O had stopped in Jun 2019, at London, but there was a thread a few weeks ago an a few people had been issued them in recent months. I'll try and find the thread...

edit..

https://aseannow.com/topic/1286952-multiple-entry-non-o-london/

Thanks a lot. I’ve had a look and, yes, there is a multiple entry option for family. As you say, it also mentions the need for a reason for multi entry (as opposed to single every) as follows,

if you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis. The difference in fee will not be refunded, if the officer grants a Single Entry Visa instead of the Multiple Entries Visa vou applied for.”

That seems quite a strange note, as it’s pretty obvious what the genuine reason would be…. most if not  everyone would be expected to visit their child and family living in Thailand on a regular basis, several times each year…that would be the reason ? Or is there something  else that I’m not understanding, that would make them just downgrade me to a single entry? 
The reason I don’t  want a single entry is because I do visit several times over several months each year, even though I’m resident in the uk. In that Scenario, rather than a single entry non o, a METV would be better. 

Thanks again 

20 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

OP - in your case you have 3 options:

#1 - Applying for the e Non Imm O Visa for reason of dependant child.  The UK Thai Embassy can provide you with either the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant child or the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for dependant child.  The requirements are different so you can opt for the Visa that best meets your needs.

Note that the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa requires you to exit Thaland after 90 days or alternatively apply for a 60-day extension at your local Imm Office for visting your dependant child (but after those 150 days you need to exit Thalland by doing a border-hop and obviously you can immediately return and repeat the above).

#2 - Entering Thailand Visa Exempt (without Visa) or on a 60-day Tourist Visa, and at the end of the Permit to stay for either entry, head to the Savannakhet Consultate (across the Mekhong near Mukdahan) and apply there for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant child. It's a quick process with minimal bureaucracy and you will get the Visa day after application.

#3 - Entering Thailand Visa Exempt (without Visa) or on a 60-day Tourist Visa, and at the end of the Permit to stay for either entry when still having at least 15 days left on your Permit to stay, apply at your local Imm Office for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant child.  Re the financial requirements > that application only requires you ,to provide evidence of 400K on a personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application, after which you are free to use the funds as you please (no seasoning requirements for a dependant Thai child application). 

And then at the end of those 90 days apply for a 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O dependant child Visa.  Funds-wise once again evidence of 400K on your personal thai bank-account at moment of application and once again free to use those funds afterwards as you please without any seasoning requirements.

>> Note that you should enquire at your local Imm Office for their requirements for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for dependant Thai child and subsequent 1-year extension of such Visa, as the LOCAL requirements might be different than the general ones which I have outlined higher.

Cheers and succes!

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply. I think option 1 on your list sounds the easier, where a multiple entry non o is applied for through the London embassy’s E visa system. 
Do you know what the financial requirements are for that multiple entry option?
I’m not married, I would have the birth certificate and mothers ID card as evidence. 
“….if you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis.”

As I noted in the other post, this is the only thing that is a bit confusing since the rain is pretty obvious. 

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, where would be applying for this visa? 

Years ago was available in Penang.

Not currently available.

Also not available at Vientiane or Savannakhet

Thank you for the info.  

I’m hoping to apply via the E visa system of the London Thai embassy website. 

22 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

You should be able to get a NON-O 90 days in any embassy with the documents you have. They might need something else as well, best to check the requirements they want.

For Savannakhet your docs would be enough: https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

Afterwards you could get the 12 months extension in the local immigration, with the child accompanying you and 400k proof. You might be also asked to provide photos of you and your child and some other stuff the IO will make up on case to case basis.

Best is to go and extend the NON-O with 60 days with the documents you have + accompanying child and ask the IO what he wants to see for the 12 month extension.

You could also fly in with 30 days extension on arrival and change to NON-O inside the country.

Thanks a lot  for the information. I wonder if you know the answers to these questions……If I did this option,

1. Would the 12 month extension be multiple entry, and

2. would the 400k need to be in a Thai account, and for a minimum time period before?

3. And if the multiple entry was given, do I need to leave every 90 days?

23 minutes ago, sureno said:

Thanks a lot  for the information. I wonder if you know the answers to these questions……If I did this option,

2. would the 400k need to be in a Thai account, and for a minimum time period before?

1. The 12 month extension can become similar to a multiple entry visa by purchasing a multiple re-entry permit.
  2. Assuming you have entered Thailand with a single entry Non O visa, the 12-month extension requires that you have 400k baht in a Thai bank for at least two months prior to the application.
  3. With a 12-month extension, there is no need to leave Thailand unless you want to. If you stay over 90 days, you need to submit an address notification.

One issue with the 12-month extension that you need to carefully think about is that the application is taken under consideration, and the approved extension typically only stamped into your passport about 30 days later. Generally, this means being in Thailand for over a month to accommodate both the application and the return for the approved extension. (It is possible, with a re-entry permit, to leave and subsequently return during the under consideration period, but you need to ensure that Immigration knows of your plans in advance.)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sureno said:

1. No. However you simply purchase a multi reentry permit 3800

2. Covered in attached thread along with couple of links  

3. With this annual extension you are not required to leave Thailand you can exit and reenter (with reentry permit) as often as you like. 

Edited by DrJack54

56 minutes ago, sureno said:

Thanks a lot. I’ve had a look and, yes, there is a multiple entry option for family. As you say, it also mentions the need for a reason for multi entry (as opposed to single every) as follows,

if you are applying for Multiple Entries, you need to prove that you have a genuine reason to visit Thailand on a regular basis. The difference in fee will not be refunded, if the officer grants a Single Entry Visa instead of the Multiple Entries Visa vou applied for.”

That seems quite a strange note, as it’s pretty obvious what the genuine reason would be…. most if not  everyone would be expected to visit their child and family living in Thailand on a regular basis, several times each year…that would be the reason ? Or is there something  else that I’m not understanding, that would make them just downgrade me to a single entry? 

Keep in mind that a lot of the wording on the eVisa site is pretty generic for all kinds of visas they offer.

In your particular case, saying something like you work in the UK but wish to see your child as often as possible should be perfectly acceptable. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

2. Assuming you have entered Thailand with a single entry Non O visa, the 12-month extension requires that you have 400k baht in a Thai bank for at least two months prior to the application.

@BritTim - You are as good as always spot-on, but in this case I am not sure if what you wrote is fully correct. 

> When the OP's e Visa application for the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa for dependant Thai child would not be approved, most probably the Embassy would provide him with a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for resason of dependant Thai child. And once he is in Thailand and would then apply for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa (dependant Thai child) at his local Imm Office, he would normally only have to provide evidence of 400.000 THB on his personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application.  This because normally there are no seasoning requirements required when applying for reason of dependant child.  

Note that I deliberately use the word 'normally' as the LOCAL Imm Office might have different requirements than what the the 'general' Immigration rules outline, and hence it would be recommended that he visits his local Imm Office to hear about his options.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:38 PM, sureno said:

The best option i think is my applying for a 12 month multi-entry non o based on Thai family (daughter)… and I wondered if anyone could help me with the process.

As far as I know these are not available.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

@BritTim - You are as good as always spot-on, but in this case I am not sure if what you wrote is fully correct. 

> When the OP's e Visa application for the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa for dependant Thai child would not be approved, most probably the Embassy would provide him with a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for resason of dependant Thai child. And once he is in Thailand and would then apply for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa (dependant Thai child) at his local Imm Office, he would normally only have to provide evidence of 400.000 THB on his personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application.  This because normally there are no seasoning requirements required when applying for reason of dependant child.  

Note that I deliberately use the word 'normally' as the LOCAL Imm Office might have different requirements than what the the 'general' Immigration rules outline, and hence it would be recommended that he visits his local Imm Office to hear about his options.

You are correct. Officially, no funds seasoning is required, but many offices do insist on two month seasoning anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 5:46 PM, BritManToo said:

As far as I know these are not available.

For some time after the roll out of the E-visa in the UK the ME option for Non O visiting family was greyed out and not available. When I did one last Aug I noticed the ME option had become active, and it still is.

Non O ME.JPG

On 5/31/2023 at 4:37 PM, Caldera said:

Keep in mind that a lot of the wording on the eVisa site is pretty generic for all kinds of visas they offer.

In your particular case, saying something like you work in the UK but wish to see your child as often as possible should be perfectly acceptable. 

Indeed.

The bulk of applications to visit family in Thailand will be based on marriage and the preference of the Thai authorities is that you visit on a SE visa and then extend that visa. It is in the DNA of IOs around the world to be suspicious of marital relationships.

Visiting a child wouldn't be seen in the same way.