House passes the bill to suspend the nation's debt limit through January 1, 2025

Social Media

The House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to pass a bill to suspend the nation’s debt limit through January 1, 2025, as lawmakers race to prevent a catastrophic default.

The bill will next need to be passed by the Senate before it can be sent to President Joe Biden to be signed into law. In the Senate, any one lawmaker can delay a swift vote and it is not yet clear when a final vote will take place.

The timeframe to pass the bill through Congress is extremely tight and there is little room for error, putting enormous pressure on leadership in both parties.

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He will go bananas now that the bill suspend the debt limit well pass the 2024 election. Waiting for his vitriol attack of Kevin McCarthy on Truth Central. 

Oh there’s a tantrum a brewing!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, you made a comment about Biden destroying the economy. Just wanted to compare that to another economy that some claim is doing fine.

As for deficts, yours is a typical amnesiac comment. What happened in 2020 that led to these large budget deficits?

The contrast is illuminating indeed! A Q1 growth rate which is 11 times higher than UK is considered as low in Biden's USA, while 0.1% is considered as a remarkable achievement in Brexited UK.. That says it all!

"In the first quarter of 2023 US real GDP expanded at an annualised rate of 1.1%, according to the initial estimate from the Bureau of Economic Analysis—down significantly from 2.6% growth in the fourth quarter of 2022."

https://www.eiu.com/n/us-gdp-growth-slows-sharply-in-the-first-quarter/

Edited by candide
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I wasn't aware the thread was about the UK or GDP. I thought it was about debt growing under Biden.

So back on topic we go...

https://nypost.com/2023/02/23/when-it-comes-to-debt-joe-biden-is-the-six-trillion-dollar-man/

image.png.c24142abe5352b6b06e0748ee231b345.png

The US debt ratio on GDP is not very good, as it is around twice the debt/GDP ratio of Germany, but is at the same level as UK. Moreover, Biden's USA is still trusted by financial markets as it is rated AAA, (while UK is rated AA-). Practically, it means USA is paying lower interest rates for its debt than most other countries.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

He will go bananas now that the bill suspend the debt limit well pass the 2024 election. Waiting for his vitriol attack of Kevin McCarthy on Truth Central. 

Go to Trump. Do not pass go but do collect $200, whatever the story. Off topic and pathetic.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, candide said:

The US debt ratio on GDP is not very good, as it is around twice the debt/GDP ratio of Germany, but is at the same level as UK. Moreover, Biden's USA is still trusted by financial markets as it is rated AAA, (while UK is rated AA-). Practically, it means USA is paying lower interest rates for its debt than most other countries.

Not fair.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The republicans lost this battle big time. They got trashed last time they tried it and didn't have the wherewithal to try again. No debt ceiling until after the election? They may as well have just abolished the debt ceiling altogether for all the difference it makes now. There's no positive spin you can put on this. Your weak tea shows that you realize this as well.

In my opinion the so called debt ceiling is in direct opposition to the US 14th amendment, anyway. It served the purpose in, what, 1913?, and probably should  be rescinded.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Wrong. The subject is about resolution of the debt crisis. The actual debt has decreased under Biden by some 1.3 trillion in his first year.

No links? Tut tut.

Actually I am correct. Debt has not decreased. I have links.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273294/public-debt-of-the-united-states-by-month/

He took office in Jan 21 which I've highlighted with the blue dot below. So no, it hasn't decreased.

image.png.f3329f227a2865b23ebb66808121720b.png

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Wrong. The subject is about resolution of the debt crisis. The actual debt has decreased under Biden by some 1.3 trillion in his first year.

I think you may be confusing the deficit (yearly shortfall in revenue) and the debt (the accumulated shortfalls over time). Biden lowered the deficit largely because COVID spending programs ran out- not much of an accomplishment. Still, the govt is spending 30% more than in pre-pandemic days. 

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I wasn't aware the thread was about the UK or GDP. I thought it was about debt growing under Biden.

So back on topic we go...

https://nypost.com/2023/02/23/when-it-comes-to-debt-joe-biden-is-the-six-trillion-dollar-man/

image.png.c24142abe5352b6b06e0748ee231b345.png

so they were all lies when the left keep saying here that he's "paying down the deficit" then? You don't increase debt when you pay it off.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

so they were all lies when the left keep saying here that he's "paying down the deficit" then? You don't increase debt when you pay it off.

When was this collective "left" saying Biden is paying down the deficit? In fact "paying down the deficit" makes no sense since the deficit is a yearly phenomenon. Biden has claimed that his policies have made the growth of the national debt less, but it's a dubiious claim. On the other hand, Biden did succeed in getting passed a minimum corporate tax of 15% which takes effect in 2023.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I think you may be confusing the deficit (yearly shortfall in revenue) and the debt (the accumulated shortfalls over time). Biden lowered the deficit largely because COVID spending programs ran out- not much of an accomplishment. Still, the govt is spending 30% more than in pre-pandemic days. 

As has been pointed out to you previously, cumulative inflation from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1,, 2023 amounted to 16%. That puts quite a dent in your claim of a 30% increase in spending.

• Thumbs Up 1