Brexit blamed for rising food prices by a majority of voters, poll shows

onthedarkside

25 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't. I clearly said that the UK has higher inflation rates than the EU peers and the evidence I have presented states that brexit is the cause.

Show me where the central bank target rate for inflation worldwide has been anything other than 2% for the past 100 years.

Brexit is only a small part and this has pretty much been absorbed over the past 2-3 years. The UK has one of the most comeptittive retail markets in the world which has helped to keep costs down (pre Putin)

Other than a few blips, Inflation has been pretty steady at 2% for the past 1000 years but we are of course in one of those blips.

Inflation is pretty much down to Putin and his cronies who have caused global instability.

If anyone is expecting prices to come down post-war then they are in for shock. I rarely have a supplier offer a voluntary price decrease but then that's my job to challenge them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Brexit is only a small part and this has pretty much been absorbed over the past 2-3 years. The UK has one of the most comeptittive retail markets in the world which has helped to keep costs down (pre Putin)

Other than a few blips, Inflation has been pretty steady at 2% for the past 1000 years but we are of course in one of those blips.

Inflation is pretty much down to Putin and his cronies who have caused global instability.

If anyone is expecting prices to come down post-war then they are in for shock. I rarely have a supplier offer a voluntary price decrease but then that's my job to challenge them

I'm not arguing that Putin caused the high inflation. This debate is about why the UK is at the top of the list for its peer countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me help you with your filing:

”Brexit blamed for rising food prices by a majority of voters, poll shows”

That would be a majority of the 1,529 adults in Britain online

BMG Research interviewed a representative sample of 1,529 adults in Britain online between 30 and 31 May 2023. Data are weighted. BMG are members of the British Polling Council and abide by their rules.

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That would be a majority of the 1,529 adults in Britain online

BMG Research interviewed a representative sample of 1,529 adults in Britain online between 30 and 31 May 2023. Data are weighted. BMG are members of the British Polling Council and abide by their rules.

So you chose to tell us how you don’t understand statistical sampling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you chose to tell us how you don’t understand statistical sampling.

I was pointing out the fact that the poll was only available to people online I recall you posting recently

"Millions are digitally excluded, and exclusion is highest amongst the old, the disabled and people on low incomes"

So none of those people would have had the opportunity to take part so we will never know their views on the subject

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, onthedarkside said:

Nearly two thirds of voters believe Brexit has contributed to runaway inflation and soaring food prices

And 2/3rd of voters are right. The key word used is "contributed," not "caused."  

Food price rises are linked to increased energy prices. Refrigeration, electricity, transport and business overheads. Fertilizer costs have increased by 200% compared to the start of 2022.

The UK also has difficulty in recruiting workers for harvest and there is some increased export overheads

Inflation has a multitude of "Contributing factors". Brexit is one but not the main one. 

This is a pointless article. It tells you nothing. 

Then majority of voters are convenient idiots. It hasn’t helped but current inflation is more the war in Ukraine and post-Covid woes. Brexit hasn’t all of a sudden just happened! ????

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I was pointing out the fact that the poll was only available to people online I recall you posting recently

"Millions are digitally excluded, and exclusion is highest amongst the old, the disabled and people on low incomes"

So none of those people would have had the opportunity to take part so we will never know their views on the subject

Yes, millions are digital lily excluded, especially within the groups I mentioned, but not all. 

1529 is a very good sample size to accurately gauge the opinions of a population the size of the UK’s.

https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/calculating-sample-size/

11 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

And 2/3rd of voters are right. The key word used is "contributed," not "caused."  

Food price rises are linked to increased energy prices. Refrigeration, electricity, transport and business overheads. Fertilizer costs have increased by 200% compared to the start of 2022.

The UK also has difficulty in recruiting workers for harvest and there is some increased export overheads

Inflation has a multitude of "Contributing factors". Brexit is one but not the main one. 

This is a pointless article. It tells you nothing. 

It’s hardly pointless, it’s another example of the public’s views on the negative impacts they are experiencing from Brexit.

Which is why Brexiteers are throwing up so much whataboutary.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Then majority of voters are convenient idiots. It hasn’t helped but current inflation is more the war in Ukraine and post-Covid woes. Brexit hasn’t all of a sudden just happened! ????

Right, it's been a slide since several months after brexit was implemented.