Stolen iphone got sold to electronic shop, what now?

abaganov2

On 6/7/2023 at 4:41 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

if the owner discovers he has stolen property and wont return it to owner or police he is an accomplice....in my view

The owner would have to prove it ? (IF the phone has been wiped).

How many of us even know what an IEMI number is, let alone make a separate record of it ?

Of course, if the phone has not been wiped, all the owner has to do is unlock it and confirm that its his and say thank you and walk off with it. 

IF the shop wants to complain at that phase, by all means, have the shop call the police. 

Suggest to the owner that he recovers his money from the Thief, of course he took the details (and ID) of the person he was buying from, right !!!... IF not, he knew he was buying stolen goods and thats just his risk. 

On 6/5/2023 at 11:37 PM, Colabamumbai said:

He knowingly bought srolen property, have him give the phone or busted. 

Completely agree.  As long as people continue doing some of the other suggestions that have been made here, this crime will go on. 

OP: If you don't want to involve the police, go the shop and see what happens. If they refuse to hand over the phone, get a photo of it (preferably with the shop owner) then you might have to involve the police. If they refuse to do anything, you might have to take it higher.

My house was broken into a couple of years back and despite providing photos to the police (from CCTV), nobody has been caught.  For reasons I won't go into here, I'm pretty sure the burglar is known to the police yet they've not done anything - most likely through laziness. 

I have decided that when I next return to Thailand, I am going to take the matter further and ask the police to show me exactly what invetsigations they've made which may well lead to a complaint.

Yes, I know I'm opening up a bag of worms and I'm not going to make myself too popular. However, I will be doing this with the help of my lawyer who is advising me which way to go about it.

Crime will never be stopped but it can be reduced if people (especially the police) actually do something when it happens. 

In this case, the shop owner may not be so ready to buy a stolen phone if he has to give you your money back.  If you take away the market, thieves are much less likely to steal.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Last but not least, don't play the hero! Thailand has a lot of organized crime. Don't try to fight the mafia because of a phone! You can only loose. And losing your phone is the smallest of the risks. 

Mafia? Small time local phone theft?

On 6/6/2023 at 5:05 PM, MrJ2U said:

Defemation laws are really arcane.  So many stories of people getting sued even for telling the truth. 

That applies in totally different circumstances and the (crazy) rule is 'the truth is no defence'. Basically in Thailand, I could be sued for calling someone a paedophile - even if they'd been convicted of the offence previously.

I very much doubt a Thai court would allow any defamation case made by the guilty parties in this case.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

How long do you live in Thailand?

What is your experience with the Thai police?

Are they keen to serve and protect individual people?

What you describe might work in a country where the police cares. Thailand is not such a country.

If the owner of the phone likes to continue to use an expensive Apple phone, then he has two options: Buy an old one or buy a new one. In this case his old phone will be the cheapest alternative - if it is still in the shop.

I experienced the same thing with a stolen phone. It could be located and, accompanied by a police officer, I picked up the device from the "finder" again free of charge!
Don't tell Thai bashing fairy tales here!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:20 PM, CharlieH said:

You can talk to the shop and reach an agreement or go to the Police, make a formal report and ask them to accompany you to recover your property.

thought  RECEIVING STOLEN GOODS IS offence !!!!!