Stolen iphone got sold to electronic shop, what now?

abaganov2

19 hours ago, BenStark said:

Wrong guess, it will most likely cost you money to get the police interested, and then you probably still have to pay the shop owner.

My advice is, if the phone is worth much more than that, pay him and be done with it.

Other option is to get as much recorded evidence where the shop owner admits he has your phone, then go to the police

This they maybe do only with dumbheads. Normal people been not asked for money. ????

Edited by snowgard
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with this. Which police officer will use his time to go to the shop with or without you just because he wants to help you? 

Another way, which could maybe work, is call Apple. They might be interested to know which shops are buying stolen phone(s). And maybe they will help you.

And then there is of course the possibility that tomorrow there is no phone in that shop anymore. Must have been a misunderstanding. That's my guess.

Last but not least, don't play the hero! Thailand has a lot of organized crime. Don't try to fight the mafia because of a phone! You can only loose. And losing your phone is the smallest of the risks. 

What a stupid comment. Do you ever reported here something to the police? I think not. Otherwise you had experienced that they can work very well and drive with you to the shop.
Specialy in Pattaya. And if you really meet a unwilling police officer, just call to a newspaper and you will be surprised how fast the case is closed.

And Apple can't do something other as maybe lock the phone.

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, snowgard said:

they can work very well

I am sure they can - if they have some motivation.

But then, they are also great in doing nothing. That is often documented in the news.

It's all a question of motivation. Now tell us, why would they be motivated to solve this Apple phone crime with high motivation here and now? 

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure they can - if they have some motivation.

But then, they are also great in doing nothing. That is often documented in the news.

It's all a question of motivation. Now tell us, why would they be motivated to solve this Apple phone crime with high motivation here and now? 

Because it's their job & if they don't done it right they end up in Yala or a village at the burmese border. 

• Haha 1

suggestions:

talk to the shop owner and prove that the phone is yours. this is easy if they still not hacked it because you can use the pin code to open it. You said you called them already so it means they are aware of the situation which means they shouldnt hack it. Tell him you want it back. Most likely he will ask that 2500 baht back. If hes really a nice person he will give it to you for free.

here you have options. you can try to bargain with him some middle way payment or pay him fully or tell him you will go to the police and do the report. I would chose second one. Go to the shop with a very polite and friendly face. keep saying thank you thank you.. Just offer them 1500 baht as a thank they found your phone. They also know its illegal to buy stolen item. 

now.. if they hack the phone it means it will be 70% gone. it wont be easy for you to prove its your unless you have the receive of the product. Because in the documents of the product has the phone codes. so you can prove again. If you dont have them.. i would say its almost impossible after hack.

well.. last hope option is go to the police and make a report and tell them you know where it is. Go with the cops prove the phone is yours (use your pin to open or documentation). There are few options there with the police for you. if you want justice, report the shop as well. because again its illegal to buy a stolen item. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How long do you live in Thailand?

What is your experience with the Thai police?

Are they keen to serve and protect individual people?

What you describe might work in a country where the police cares. Thailand is not such a country.

If the owner of the phone likes to continue to use an expensive Apple phone, then he has two options: Buy an old one or buy a new one. In this case his old phone will be the cheapest alternative - if it is still in the shop.

15 years in Thailand so I am not clueless. Speak the language fluently. Have made official complaints to the police twice. Once was theft. The other was for threats made against my ex

wife. Both times the police were proactive. Never event a hint of

not doing anything or asking for money. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

....and dont these shops require an ID to buy used phones or are they in on the "heist".....

Its a valid point - I don't think proof of ID is required by law to sell expensive items (tech)... but really, it should be....

But, as you alluded to... I don't quite think the shop owners are ‘in on the heist’ but they are surely aware they are handling stolen property and just don’t care as the risks of getting caught and consequences are minimal.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A question to the expert iPhone users: What can a shop do with a bricked iPhone?

iPhones are not usually bricked, but if (as is almost certain) it is locked to the Apple ID the only value is for scrap as only the AppleID holder can unlock it, this applies to all current iPhones and for several generations before, I don’t recall exactly when this was first introduced but do recall that the incidence of iPhones being stolen dramatically dropped 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

It may be possible now to unbrick an iPhone, but I think its technically pretty hard, and the phone is severely hobbled - like you need to re-jailbreak it to reboot the phone - so most people wouldnt buy into this.

An AppleID locked phone can not be unlocked. You can buy hundreds of AppleID locked motherboards usually for well under $5 each in Shenzhen, you can be sure that if they could be unlocked they would be in iPhones and there would be a thriving trade in stolen iPhones, there is no such trade.

The only people who can get useful data from some iPhones are those who can spend tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands on the job. It is not economically viable.

15 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

He knowingly bought srolen property, have him give the phone or busted. 

How can you categorically state that he knew that it was stolen before the OP told him?  He said that he bought a locked phone, not a stolen phone.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

The guys buying stolen property.   Obviously he couldn't break into it to factory reset it. He's freaking criminal. 

"The guys buying stolen property".

Is he?  All you know is that he bought one locked phone that has since turned out to be stolen, you don't know anything about his previous business practices.

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No idea why he doesn’t just go to the shop, what’s he scared of ?

Where did he say that he was scared and wouldn't be going to the shop?  His OP stated that the owner of the shop had arranged to meet him the next morning when the shop was open.

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How can you categorically state that he knew that it was stolen before the OP told him?  He said that he bought a locked phone, not a stolen phone.

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The guys buying stolen property".

Is he?  All you know is that he bought one locked phone that has since turned out to be stolen, you don't know anything about his previous business practices.

These are Perfect examples of Liverpool Lou... being, erm... so very 'Liverpool Lou'...

Your responses are so obtuse you're deserving of your own adjective... 

IF someone in the 'phone industry' is purchasing an iPhone that is locked - they know its stolen, unless they area utterly gullible fools.

I very much doubt they are as obtuse in arguing.... "but the seller didn't say the phone was stolen, so there is no proof"  !!!! 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where did he say that he was scared and wouldn't be going to the shop?  His OP stated that the owner of the shop had arranged to meet him the next morning when the shop was open.

Why is he asking for advice then ?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As the thread started yesterday... (Monday evening) the next day is (was) today... 

Thus, the Op 'should' have his phone back by now... or a story about how he couldn't get his phone back. 

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

its not defamation if its true.

Defemation laws are really arcane.  So many stories of people getting sued even for telling the truth. 

"American faces prison in Thailand over bad hotel review"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/29/american-wesley-barnes-faces-prison-thailand-bad-hotel-review#:~:text=Defamation is a criminal offence,baht (£4%2C915) fine.

• Like 1