Stolen iphone got sold to electronic shop, what now?

abaganov2

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yeah, right, what's it got to do with them?

Apple might be interested in suppliers of "used parts". They don't want that any such parts are available for independent repair shops. So maybe they would help to prosecute that shop.

It's just an idea. One phone call to find out. Worst case they say (a polite version of): we don't care. 

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would you pay any attention to a Westerner standing outside a mall or shop telling people not to use it ???....

I’d just think the fool has a screw loose and just ignore him.

It takes a certain type of nut to make a public nuisance of themselves over such matters. 

thats why the ladies dig me......crazy like a fox.....:)

Id do it just to sweat the owner.....its not like id be some homeless drunkie....thats for the evening!

the lunatics over on twitter seem to love that kind of thing and thais love FB --going viral for selling stolen phones is not what id want to be looking at online about my shop ...

id stand there quietly with a sign..silent protest......if the cops show up i explain the FACTS

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How to get sued or physically hurt in Thailand 101, by Sticky Rice Balls

Pretty bad advice. The best is always to find a non-confrontational way to resolve things. And if things turn bad then don't put yourself into the line of fire. Especially not because of a phone.

Danger is my middle name!   lol

Ok scenario--MY phone gets stolen and i protest silently outside shop on pubic street with a sign saying this shop has my stolen phone and wont return it--etc

Im calm and quiet on public street with a sign.....so if the shop owner attacks me that sounds like assault..cops show up and i explain my problem and show PROOF hes in possession of my phone

Slackjawed thais recording it post in on FB...owner is now a violent man who sells stolen phones

I get my own posting on thaiger and written about..or make my debut on Locked up abroad ????

the OP asked what he should do..varied answers..I posted my opinion of how i would get it back after FIRST trying to see if he would be willing to return it....im willing to push back on thieves..

I dont even know where the shop is located or who the owner is...these factors come into play..

I mean have we even gotten an update on the phone issue....???

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would you pay any attention to a Westerner standing outside a mall or shop telling people not to use it ???....

I’d just think the fool has a screw loose and just ignore him.

It takes a certain type of nut to make a public nuisance of themselves over such matters. 

depends on the phone and its contents i suppose......

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a valid point - I don't think proof of ID is required by law to sell expensive items (tech)... but really, it should be....

But, as you alluded to... I don't quite think the shop owners are ‘in on the heist’ but they are surely aware they are handling stolen property and just don’t care as the risks of getting caught and consequences are minimal.

if the owner discovers he has stolen property and wont return it to owner or police he is an accomplice....in my view

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Defemation laws are really arcane.  So many stories of people getting sued even for telling the truth. 

"American faces prison in Thailand over bad hotel review"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/29/american-wesley-barnes-faces-prison-thailand-bad-hotel-review#:~:text=Defamation is a criminal offence,baht (£4%2C915) fine.

my reviews are still up and have been for years....

so a thai court would jail a person for telling the truth?  and yet lies seem the daily norm....

then why do any thai hotels even hold a standard?  if someone posts facts about horrible service they paid for then any and all customers would be jailed, is what you are implying?

I agree if someone posted LIES about my hotel...but how are facts defamation, which i posted

truth needs no support and my reviews are up as a warning to others about scams and lies

On 6/7/2023 at 4:41 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

if the owner discovers he has stolen property and wont return it to owner or police he is an accomplice....in my view

The owner would have to prove it ? (IF the phone has been wiped).

How many of us even know what an IEMI number is, let alone make a separate record of it ?

Of course, if the phone has not been wiped, all the owner has to do is unlock it and confirm that its his and say thank you and walk off with it. 

IF the shop wants to complain at that phase, by all means, have the shop call the police. 

Suggest to the owner that he recovers his money from the Thief, of course he took the details (and ID) of the person he was buying from, right !!!... IF not, he knew he was buying stolen goods and thats just his risk. 

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The owner would have to prove it ? (IF the phone has been wiped).

How many of us even know what an IEMI number is, let alone make a separate record of it ?

Of course, if the phone has not been wiped, all the owner has to do is unlock it and confirm that its his and say thank you and walk off with it. 

IF the shop wants to complain at that phase, by all means, have the shop call the police. 

Suggest to the owner that he recovers his money from the Thief, of course he took the details (and ID) of the person he was buying from, right !!!... IF not, he knew he was buying stolen goods and thats just his risk. 

agreed...my android has the "find my device" app and just before i came back to LOS some kid tried to steal my phone at work...first time using the app and was impressed on location tracking and ability to erase or lock it..and i was allowed to leave a message--saying I called the cops...

I did get the phone back as i used his friend to turn on him who i found and had him on video....

When i got my phone back it was even trickier to prove it was me and not the thief......so not sure how MY phone could be wiped as it basically became a "BRICK".....so if you do discover your phone swiped u gotta be quick to lock it before they can wipe it clean..i suppose erasing the dev ice may delete any proof it was yours.....my protest scenario was if all other attempts failed..

On 6/5/2023 at 11:37 PM, Colabamumbai said:

He knowingly bought srolen property, have him give the phone or busted. 

Completely agree.  As long as people continue doing some of the other suggestions that have been made here, this crime will go on. 

OP: If you don't want to involve the police, go the shop and see what happens. If they refuse to hand over the phone, get a photo of it (preferably with the shop owner) then you might have to involve the police. If they refuse to do anything, you might have to take it higher.

My house was broken into a couple of years back and despite providing photos to the police (from CCTV), nobody has been caught.  For reasons I won't go into here, I'm pretty sure the burglar is known to the police yet they've not done anything - most likely through laziness. 

I have decided that when I next return to Thailand, I am going to take the matter further and ask the police to show me exactly what invetsigations they've made which may well lead to a complaint.

Yes, I know I'm opening up a bag of worms and I'm not going to make myself too popular. However, I will be doing this with the help of my lawyer who is advising me which way to go about it.

Crime will never be stopped but it can be reduced if people (especially the police) actually do something when it happens. 

In this case, the shop owner may not be so ready to buy a stolen phone if he has to give you your money back.  If you take away the market, thieves are much less likely to steal.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Last but not least, don't play the hero! Thailand has a lot of organized crime. Don't try to fight the mafia because of a phone! You can only loose. And losing your phone is the smallest of the risks. 

Mafia? Small time local phone theft?

On 6/6/2023 at 5:05 PM, MrJ2U said:

Defemation laws are really arcane.  So many stories of people getting sued even for telling the truth. 

That applies in totally different circumstances and the (crazy) rule is 'the truth is no defence'. Basically in Thailand, I could be sued for calling someone a paedophile - even if they'd been convicted of the offence previously.

I very much doubt a Thai court would allow any defamation case made by the guilty parties in this case.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

How long do you live in Thailand?

What is your experience with the Thai police?

Are they keen to serve and protect individual people?

What you describe might work in a country where the police cares. Thailand is not such a country.

If the owner of the phone likes to continue to use an expensive Apple phone, then he has two options: Buy an old one or buy a new one. In this case his old phone will be the cheapest alternative - if it is still in the shop.

I experienced the same thing with a stolen phone. It could be located and, accompanied by a police officer, I picked up the device from the "finder" again free of charge!
Don't tell Thai bashing fairy tales here!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:20 PM, CharlieH said:

You can talk to the shop and reach an agreement or go to the Police, make a formal report and ask them to accompany you to recover your property.

thought  RECEIVING STOLEN GOODS IS offence !!!!!