VA blasted for replacing American flag with pride flag at veteran cemetery, state GOP demands its removal

Social Media

Republican state leaders are demanding the American flag be reinstated at a veterans cemetery, where some Mississippi residents noticed on Memorial Day it had been replaced with a rainbow LGBTQ flag for June pride month.

American flags flying over the Biloxi National Cemetery and VA Medical Center were replaced with rainbow LGBTQ flags after Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough authorized the flying of such flags above VA facilities.

The decision was dubbed a "political stunt" by Republicans in the state Senate who are calling for its removal out of respect for "service members, veterans and their families."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Goes without saying it should be struck down and replaced with American flag. The Pride folks are their own worst enemy.

Yep, not doing themselves any favours.  It is really a mixed message, "we want to be accepted" and "F you normies!"

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There was this wonderful time of don't ask don't tell.

And then a few very loud people decided it has to be center in our faces all the time.

I miss the good old times.

That was wonderful was it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Does that mean we should fly the flags of the world, because I'm sure some fallen soldiers were born outside the USA. We need more flag poles.

Obviously not.

It's Pride month.

It was a nice gesture.

That's it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Goes without saying it should be struck down and replaced with American flag. The Pride folks are their own worst enemy.

There was still an American flag there. No problem except for anti gay demagoguery.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Does that mean we should fly the flags of the world, because I'm sure some fallen soldiers were born outside the USA. We need more flag poles.

Would you be offended if the sacrifice of fallen Veterans who were born outside the US were recognized by world flags flown at the cemetery where they are interned?

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

They fought for the USA, they were Americans.

They fought in the US military, they might not have been fighting ‘for America’.

But let’s take your claim at face value.

I wonder which American Freedoms they were fighting for, all of them, or just the ones you agree with for yourself?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The veterans interred there all fought under the American flag. It is the ultimate 'inclusive' one to fly. They did not fight and die under the pride flag. 

And a number of those who died were gay, but that was against the law, against military rule and were grounds for dishonorable discharge.  The percentage of self-reporting gays is actually higher in the military than the civilian population.  But, hey, those people who gave not only their lives, but their identity apparently do not have the right to be honored.   Take the time to think about that.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5538666/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Credo said:

And a number of those who died were gay, but that was against the law, against military rule and were grounds for dishonorable discharge.  The percentage of self-reporting gays is actually higher in the military than the civilian population.  But, hey, those people who gave not only their lives, but their identity apparently do not have the right to be honored.   Take the time to think about that.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5538666/

Their identity was American, and soldier, and hero.  How they chose to spend their free time was, and is, irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, n00dle said:

no.

it was sexually politicisiing the sacrifices of peope and families who served the country. 

The service was important not the soldier's preferred gender or sexual orientation.  

It is a hollow, cyncal gesture.  

The GOP outrage is the politicized hollow cyclical gesture.

For generations non heterosexual service men and women had to hide their sexuality or face court martial and dishonorable discharge.

Veteran cemeteries hold the remains of men and women who died fighting for America and the freedom of America while hiding their sexuality in order to be allowed to serve.

Honor these people.

7 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Some Vets. are old like me but we know there is only one flag for us and that is the American flag

Thank you for your service, Sir.

Flying the Pride flag for one month alongside the American flag at a veteran's center doesn't diminish the American flag.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you for your service, Sir.

Flying the Pride flag for one month alongside the American flag at a veteran's center doesn't diminish the American flag.

Is the Pride month official?

If so, I agree. There were gay/lesbian soldiers who died fighting for our freedom. 

Not sure about the BTQ. 

I feel sorry for the normal gay community, they have had a long struggle to be accepted but are being hurt by the BTQ brigade. 

Being gay obviously does not affect the ability to be a good soldier, look at the Sacred Band of Thebes.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is the Pride month official?

If so, I agree. There were gay/lesbian soldiers who died fighting for our freedom. 

Not sure about the BTQ. 

I feel sorry for the normal gay community, they have had a long struggle to be accepted but are being hurt by the BTQ brigade. 

Being gay obviously does not affect the ability to be a good soldier, look at the Sacred Band of Thebes.

It's official.

It's recognized by many U.S. embassies.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually it does because it draws attention away from the actual flag. The Pride flag is not inclusive. It is a political statement.  Ask some veterans if they feel "included" by it. 

One month.

They'll get over it.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

The veterans interred there all fought under the American flag. It is the ultimate 'inclusive' one to fly. They did not fight and die under the pride flag. 

My flag stars represents all the states and the stripes represent the original 13 colonies!

The  millions of military personnel fought for that symbol to endure!

To have the usa flag being seconded by a symbol that divides people into sexual orientation is insulting !imop

• Like 2