American transwoman marries Thai woman, fueling hopes for future of same sex marriage (video)

webfact

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

If there are so many different genders these days, how is it that gender reassignment surgery, as far as I am aware, only offers 2 options

It's a silly question. 

You're conflating gender identities with genitals.

If someone is gender fluid it doesn't mean their parts magically change back and forth.

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

"average person" you mean?  95% of the world population that are plain old boring heterosexual?

Honest question.  Why have you jumped to use these new vocab-narratives that were quite literally almost created yesterday?

instead of the terms we've used for 1,000's of years that mean exactly the same thing?

And you cannot say "To be clear on who I'm talking about".

Average person or heterosexual person are crystal clear terms that everyone knows and understand that mean the exact same thing.

Actually, they are MORE clear terms.

A talk show host could go interview the average person on the street what "cisgender" is and I'm pretty sure 99 out of 100 are not going to know what that is.  So it's NOT for clarity.

And if it's not for clarity of an already clear and defined term and definition....why are you insisting on using it?

That language suggests LGBT people are less than. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

"average person" you mean?  95% of the world population that are plain old boring heterosexual?

Honest question.  Why have you jumped to use these new vocab-narratives that were quite literally almost created yesterday?

If you say there are trans-women and then there are normal women, it makes trans people feel bad.

So to make trans people feel more normal, they want to change the identity of non-trans people.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That language suggests LGBT people are less than. 

So in order to prevent trans people (a tiny minority) from feeling like they are not "normal", you want people to use special language that stops non-trans people (a huge majority) from seeming "normal"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

So in order to prevent trans people (a tiny minority) from feeling like they are not "normal", you want people to use special language that stops non-trans people (a huge majority) from seeming "normal"?

It’s not complicated. In most contexts, the words “woman” and “man” are perfectly clear and understandable, just as they’ve always been. And I don’t think there’s any confusion or controversy about adjectives like “straight” and “gay.” In discussions specifically about transgender people, as here, words like “cisgender” are useful because they add some clarity. It all depends on what you’re trying to say.

The word “normal,” however, is a relative word, and its opposite, “not normal,” suggests that you believe there’s something wrong with the person labeled as such. Remember, to a trans person, just as to you or me, living one’s gender identity is the most normal thing in the world. Thus, we are all “normal” when allowed to live as we choose, openly, without fear or ostracism.

All that said, nobody is forcing you to use any particular language at all; you can use whatever words you want.

• Haha 2

Off topic posts as well as a personal attack have been removed. The topic of the OP is not about the language needing to be used to describe oneself. 

Additional posts discussing what names should be used have also been removed. 

The OP is not about anything other than:

American transwoman marries Thai woman, fueling hopes for future of same sex marriage (video)

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

If you say there are trans-women and then there are normal women, it makes trans people feel bad.

So to make trans people feel more normal, they want to change the identity of non-trans people.

No they don't. 

That's paranoia on your part.

2 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

It’s not complicated. In most contexts, the words “woman” and “man” are perfectly clear and understandable, just as they’ve always been. And I don’t think there’s any confusion or controversy about adjectives like “straight” and “gay.” In discussions specifically about transgender people, as here, words like “cisgender” are useful because they add some clarity. It all depends on what you’re trying to say.

The word “normal,” however, is a relative word, and its opposite, “not normal,” suggests that you believe there’s something wrong with the person labeled as such. Remember, to a trans person, just as to you or me, living one’s gender identity is the most normal thing in the world. Thus, we are all “normal” when allowed to live as we choose, openly, without fear or ostracism.

All that said, nobody is forcing you to use any particular language at all; you can use whatever words you want.

Exactly right.

Nobody is forcing.

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What about Eunuchs?

Good point,  to be honest I cannot believe that is a permitted option.   Would any doctor be prepared to do it ?   Considering where we are the answer is probably "yes" if there's enough  money offered 

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cisgender is a well established word.

Heteronormative is fairly self explanatory.. 

'Cisgenger'  - ask most people on street in the west (never mind Thailand) and they'd not be able to answer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

'Cisgenger'  - ask most people on street in the west (never mind Thailand) and they'd not be able to answer...

I'm not aware of any surveys so you're just guessing. 

https://medium.com/intersection/for-those-triggered-by-the-word-cisgender-d80d4b22d0d3

For Those Triggered By The Word ‘Cisgender’

You don’t realize the irony of what you’re saying

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/7/2023 at 5:14 AM, Jingthing said:

If the American lady's passport shows her gender as male then they could legally marry in Thailand a d it would not be a same sex marriage under the law as unfortunately same sex marriage is not yet legal here.

Read! Both are women. And if you read Thaiger story then you see, next year it should be recognized as a marriage and therefore official and registered.

Thailand is a bit slow. And i really wouldnt know why it was forbidden any time.

Some "high placed" figures decided that. Some "morons" to indoctrinate people. 

btw an Eunuch is a profession, has nothing to do with genders or sexes.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:13 AM, KhunLA said:

So not a 'same sex' marriage ... ????

Saying, thinking you're a woman, but having a penis, does not make you a female ...

... IMHO

There is no penis anymore, transgender WOMAN, done, rebuilt.

You are not reading it is a lady boy. Focus.

Incredible so many people cant read and sucking up stupid own ideas out of their thumb. Narrow minded persons. Normal, abnormal, who declares that?

It is  "normal", you are christian or any other religion and then go killing people? Because another christian is telling you to do so? It is one of the 10 commands which many religions believe : you shall not kill ! Laws are made upon that.

Is it normal to make shifting in race? Is it normal to look down on people who work and just have little money but happy. That is normal?

Get the F*** out of here narrow minders.

But ok a new group is found to be put down. So we can start all over again.

A woman who had surgery because she had cancer on her ovaries or her breasts and then they are removed. She has a hard time and doesnt feel like a woman at all, maybe even think she is a monster. The impact is really huge. And then you tell her she is a woman, as comfort. So what is a wo(man)?

So what is the difference then? A man, woman feeling not right in what they are and then change that, to feel at home. They can and feel good.

For the woman who had the surgery there is no other way, she MUST live with it.

If you cant eat your breakfast anymore as you read this article, good maybe you loose some weight.

oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Gender identity and sexual orientation are different things.

She liked women as a man and she still likes women as a trans woman.

It always mystifies me why so many people don't even try to make sense of such things. It's not rocket science.

Yes, I understand perfectly well the difference between gender identity ("cisgender" v transsexual) and sexual orientation (heterosexual v homosexual). This person has gone from a cisgender heterosexual to a transsexual homosexual all in one swoop. I suspect it is a fairly big adjustment for a person to go through. 

The reason so many people (particularly older people) don't try to make sense of such things is that they don't really care. It is not part of their world. They don't run across the concept in their daily lives. They see the world through the lens of gender(male v female) not gender identity. Then they are portrayed as horrible bigots because they don't understand the terminology.

Edited by charmonman
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Yes, I understand perfectly well the difference between gender identity ("cisgender" v transsexual) and sexual orientation (heterosexual v homosexual). This person has gone from a cisgender heterosexual to a transsexual homosexual all in one swoop. I suspect it is a fairly big adjustment for a person to go through. 

The reason so many people (particularly older people) don't try to make sense of such things is that they don't really care. It is not part of their world. They don't run across the concept in their daily lives. They see the world through the lens of gender(male v female) not gender identity. Then they are portrayed as horrible bigots because they don't understand the terminology.

No they aren't.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Incredible so many people cant read and sucking up stupid own ideas out of their thumb. Narrow minded persons. Normal, abnormal, who declares that?

It is  "normal", you are christian or any other religion and then go killing people? Because another christian is telling you to do so? It is one of the 10 commands which many religions believe : you shall not kill ! Laws are made upon that.

Is it normal to make shifting in race? Is it normal to look down on people who work and just have little money but happy. That is normal?

Get the F*** out of here narrow minders.

But ok a new group is found to be put down. So we can start all over again.

You need a well stacked Bong. chill out man. :stoner: