Anyone else having trouble receiving Netcode from Commbank to AIS phone number?

I am trying to get a netcode from Commonwealth Bank in Australia to an AIS number. I've been getting this for years.  Just spent 20 minutes onto the bank and they said that it is AIS as Commbank is definitely sending the SMS. The same thing happened around 6-7 years ago. Apparently Commbank changed from Telstra to Optus (or something like that) and they did not allow international SMS's. I have tested my phone from several countries and the SMS's are coming thru. Any idea on what may be the problem?

I have no solution just the problem.

A while ago I changed to a new mobile phone and my German online bank sent an SMS with a code that never arrived. Ended with postal mail to my c/o.

On the other hand there are multiple foreign services (Google, OpenAI, WISE..) that send SMS and I receive without a problem?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have no solution just the problem.

A while ago I changed to a new mobile phone and my German online bank sent an SMS with a code that never arrived. Ended with postal mail to my c/o.

On the other hand there are multiple foreign services (Google, OpenAI, WISE..) that send SMS and I receive without a problem?

Yes. That's the same here with me today.

I haven't changed my Thai telephone number in 18 years

Edited by PythonHouse
added more info

7 minutes ago, PythonHouse said:

I haven't changed my Thai telephone number in 18 years

I also have unchanged number but the banking SW is somehow bound to the mobile phone hardware. That's why I needed a code to enable on the new phone.

Good day, several years ago, I have a very similar problem with CommBank and accessing online banking from outside of Australia. The branch and my Relationship Manager wanted me to use the NetBank App but at that time the SMS message for two factor authentication (2FA) for some reason would only work within Australia (not to an overseas phone number).

We solved the problem by using the CommBank dongle technology and that does work here in Thailand, Philippines, and Canada. Most of the time when I login from overseas, I have to give it a second shot at logging in, and it always works on that second time. 

As the CommBank is trying to phase out the dongle technology, the bad news is that you may have to be physically present in Australia for the CommBank to provide you with a dongle - in my case it took about 10 days for the dongle to come through to a branch in Brisbane and to then to activate it.

Good luck in getting a dongle without being physically present at a branch in Australia. Cheers and best wishes.

44 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I have the same issue with NAB. AIS have said there is no issue and the bank told me to clear my mobile browser cookies from the phone and restart then wait half an hour. It's odd advice because I don't use the mobile browser for internet banking and it has no technical link with the sms system on my phone.

Just tried this. It still doesn't work. Aaaahhhhhhh - I'm getting angry now!

4 minutes ago, RemyDog said:

Good day, several years ago, I have a very similar problem with CommBank and accessing online banking from outside of Australia. The branch and my Relationship Manager wanted me to use the NetBank App but at that time the SMS message for two factor authentication (2FA) for some reason would only work within Australia (not to an overseas phone number).

We solved the problem by using the CommBank dongle technology and that does work here in Thailand, Philippines, and Canada. Most of the time when I login from overseas, I have to give it a second shot at logging in, and it always works on that second time. 

As the CommBank is trying to phase out the dongle technology, the bad news is that you may have to be physically present in Australia for the CommBank to provide you with a dongle - in my case it took about 10 days for the dongle to come through to a branch in Brisbane and to then to activate it.

Good luck in getting a dongle without being physically present at a branch in Australia. Cheers and best wishes.

I got a dongle about 7 years ago when I had the same problem. I did not use the dongle as I found out it was a change of service provider from Commbank that was the problem. Just tried again with all the advice you lovely people have given and I am still not receiving the netcode. Only good aspect is that the baht/AU$ has given me an advantage of 60 satang ha ha ha

59 minutes ago, wombat said:

bring up the combank Facebook page and talk direct to them

I just looked thru their Facebook page, seems there was a system upgrade a few days ago. One person I saw was also having this problem, so I have messaged him to see if it was resolved and what happened.

I've had similar situations in the past.

Most resolved by following the steps below.

ING Australia cannot send SMS internationally !?! So I had to leave them. Westpac are ok for the time being anyway.

Steps I take (Android):

1. Ensure that 'Carrier Services' app is updated

2. Turn off phone

3. Remove SIM, give it a wipe (preferably with alcohol)

4. Replace SIM and reboot

5. Go into Settings, Mobile Networks, Search Available Networks and then select one to Register the SIM (preferably a 4G network but you may have to select 3G if you see the message "Unable to connect to network"

6. Try to receive the OTP again.

Good luck

Edited by QPRFC

1 hour ago, PythonHouse said:

Just tried this. It still doesn't work. Aaaahhhhhhh - I'm getting angry now!

I got an Aussie number and I'm getting SMS messages from at least 20 organisations, including CBA, NAB, Macquarie bank, Citibank, ING, Qantas, ATO, PayPal AU and others without any problems. I'm with Aldi Mobile which I believe uses the Telstra network. I think the only country where my roaming and SMS were not working was Albania. Which one is your Oz provider? You need to check with them.

I used to have a hardware token with Citibank, but had issues all the time, and the batteries are not replaceable - so it would die somewhere and leave me without access. The only token I have now is with Rabobank, they don't use SMS as 2fa and their tokens last 6-7 years.

My experience with NAB. My one time pin comes through my Telstra number, since they have that recorded as my Primary number. My Thai number is a secondary one. In theory if I ring and change the Primary to Secondary and reverse the order the night prior to leaving Au. I should be able to receive the PIN number. In practice it doesn’t work, or at least it did not work. Now I use 2 phones, one with my Au sim and the other with Thai sim with my Au number being the NAB primary number. It works for me that way. Good luck, frustrating I know; everyone in Thailand probably hears my melt-downs,55

Sorry OP I didn't read your posts very well. I thought you have an Aussie SIM which is on roaming via AIS, seems that you have an AIS local Thai number.

No idea why this wouldn't be working, I would never use a setup like this.

I have an AIS local number. I have used this for 18 years here in Thailand.  I don't have an Aussie telephone number. Seems like the system upgrade the other day at Commbank buggered things up, waiting to hear from another person who has the same international netcode problem. I double checked with Commbank today while on the phone that the number is correct - it is. Just driving me crazy!

• Like 1

I had the same problem It started years ago with the NAB they said it was AIS AIS said it's the Nab . in the end it Was the Bank , But they haven't fixed it Yet.

Now I don't do International  transfers from my bank  I use Wise 

Now I Transfer money from Nab to Wise in Australia  No international Transfer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I had the same problem It started years ago with the NAB they said it was AIS AIS said it's the Nab . in the end it Was the Bank , But they haven't fixed it Yet.

Now I don't do International  transfers from my bank  I use Wise 

Now I Transfer money from Nab to Wise in Australia  No international Transfer.

With CBA at least you need to get a SMS confirmation to do a first transfer to an account. If Wise changes their Oz account (they have done it before) my Wise transfers would be stuffed up without an Oz SIM.

12 minutes ago, PythonHouse said:

I have an AIS local number. I have used this for 18 years here in Thailand.  I don't have an Aussie telephone number. Seems like the system upgrade the other day at Commbank buggered things up, waiting to hear from another person who has the same international netcode problem. I double checked with Commbank today while on the phone that the number is correct - it is. Just driving me crazy!

Get an Oz SIM, life would be easier, the Aldi sim can be maintained for as little as $15 per year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

With CBA at least you need to get a SMS confirmation to do a first transfer to an account. If Wise changes their Oz account (they have done it before) my Wise transfers would be stuffed up without an Oz SIM.

With NAB  I didn't have that problem when Wise changed their account, I did get a code send  in my Internet banking and /Or ask to put in my I banking Password to ok the transfer.

good afternoon, im a long CBA customer and been living here in BKK since 2006.

I used to get netcode here from the bank using DTAC flawlessly.

When i got stuck in sydney during the pandemic just before i left the bank suggested me t use the app to receive notifications. since then all the notifications even the one today to change my limit transfer,it came through the com bank app. Since that time i receive NO MORE SMS buu rather netcode notifiactions in the app.

vey easy and always worked

hope this helps

How does NetCode notifications work on CommBank app?

To receive your NetCode you'll need to be connected to the internet and have your notifications turned on your Android or iPhone. If your notifications aren't turned on, your NetCode will appear in My notifications in the CommBank app. These will only appear for the 2 minutes your NetCode is valid.

Can I get NetCode on CommBank app?

A NetCode may be sent via CommBank app instead of SMS if you have installed and registered the CommBank app (on a compatible iOS or Android device) with notifications enabled. View the video below to see how CommBank app NetCode notifications work.
Edited by walailak
???? ​
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RemyDog said:

CBA stopped giving me a dongle 4 years ago when the one I had was out of date. Told me they do not issue them any more.????

Much better than an OTP though.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Get an Oz SIM, life would be easier, the Aldi sim can be maintained for as little as $15 per year.

That is what I have had to do but as Aldi use Telstra how long will it be before they stop global roaming as Telstra did.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

My investigations showed that I do receive an SMS from NAB when I use an Australian sim. Curiously, not while on the phone to them. The SMS comes immediately the call is terminated.

I have a Citi credit card that had no problems receiving an SMS to my True number for 4 years. It was okay when NAB first took over but after many phone calls and non returned emails I still cannot receive an SMS. Their call centre, now in India, said it was True's problem, absolutely refuse to acknowledge that it was them, terrible people.

The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to change to my Aldi SIM number. After 25 years with Citi I will now cancel the card with NAB.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I have the same issue with NAB. AIS have said there is no issue and the bank told me to clear my mobile browser cookies from the phone and restart then wait half an hour. It's odd advice because I don't use the mobile browser for internet banking and it has no technical link with the sms system on my phone.

I got locked out of my NAB account last night, spent a lot of baht today on the phone to them and they told me it's because I logged in and stayed logged in on 2 devices. I accepted that and they unlocked my account but now I can't get into the password change window, it tells me that it is down and try again later!

Yes . I have exactly the same problem. Commbank people said the same thing to me .They said take the phone to an AIS shop and ask them about whether it's been blocked for some reason . I'm waiting for my son to recover from covid so that he can make sure the people at the AIS shop understand the problem 100%  -- my Thai is average . If thay can't help , the Commbank bloke said  - to buy another sim with a different number and see if it works -- if so , put it in each time I try to make a transfer .

2 hours ago, Coota said:

I got locked out of my NAB account last night, spent a lot of baht today on the phone to them and they told me it's because I logged in and stayed logged in on 2 devices. I accepted that and they unlocked my account but now I can't get into the password change window, it tells me that it is down and try again later!

You can call them with Skype credit, use their Australian phone, not 1300, the charges are around 3.2 cents a minute. I spend sometimes up to an hour on call with the banks.

• Like 1