Has Immigration lost their mind? Retirement Visa Extension requires a 1 year rental contract?

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am curious. That is the only way you can remain willing to change your mind about things.

Some are saying that allowing local officials to make up their own rules (such as one-year retirement rentals) is conducive to preventing criminal elements from entering Thailand. I fail to see how it helps, but maybe I am missing something.

I don't think anyone said that. 

What's the last thing you changed your mind about? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think if every official in Europe was allowed to make up their own rules there would be massive protests, and not just from refugees. Once officials are no longer subject to the rule of law, they will justify almost anything in the name of "fighting crime". Personally, I do not think the answer to complex issues is to abolish due process.

I complete agree on that due process argument. But it is also common in Europe that there is a law, like the person need to have an adequate place to stay and the bureaucracy than make regulations on that base. Like having a rental contract of a certain length. Unfortunately the same thing happens in Europe.
In Austria Vienna is very very different on the immigration than the surrounding area. The same laws, but very different interpretation. I had to marry 100 km away in Vienna because they told me it is virtually impossible to get my wives documents accepted where I live. (same law).
I can understand the thinking that for a 1 year visa you need a 1 year contract to be sure the person has a place...but it does not make sense on person that is well off and not poor. Just make a doggy 1 year contract that can be canceled after 3 month....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What's the last thing you changed your mind about? 

Off topic, but briefly: my views on how to address transgender rights have changed greatly over the last month. My views on abortion (a subject I feel very uncomfortable about) has changed several times just over the last couple of years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Plern said:

I'm surprised the op thinks this is a thing. Most (all) of us produce one year leases. Why would op think that he should be given a one year extension based on a three month contract? 

Do they ? when I first changed from ED to retirement I had, from memory, about 2 months left on my lease. My landlord said don't worry about new lease, leave whenever you want, or stay as long as you want. So no 12 month leases since, and never a problem with Immigration come extension time.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Now you are sounding very naive.

Immigration officers do not bother with ASEAN NOW.

Various immigration offices NOT officers are discussed every day.

Look at the replies so far are stating "name the office".

It's the only way to obtain informed replies.

Even better if from a poster using same office.

BTW: the immigration officer asking for one year lease is ridiculous.

On the other hand naming the office does little good. The point is that you can get a rogue request anywhere no matter what office is used. It’s not limited to a particular office.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Off topic, but briefly: my views on how to address transgender rights have changed greatly over the last month. My views on abortion (a subject I feel very uncomfortable about) has changed several times just over the last couple of years.

What a coincidence, my opinion has changed greatly on both of those topics as well, abortion about ten years ago and my option on transgender rights about a year ago. 

Getting back on topic, who are saying that allowing local officials to make up their own rules (such as one-year retirement rentals) is conducive to preventing criminal elements from entering Thailand?

SAMUT PRAKARN office by any chance?

my personal hell hole...

I have no rental but a permission to live in the house of my ex till kids are 20, which is middle of next year...   and I have to attend in april...

and I am pretty sure the EVIL WITCH  will ask for a 1 year lease

that I will not be able to provide

so if there is someone on this forum that believes your story, IT IS ME, believe it...

so is evil witch counter x,y,z at Samut Prakarn name calling unless she identify with being the evil witch ?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

51 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Why not just agree with the landlord a rolling 3-month contract but ask him to produce a 1 year to show to immigration?

That works great if your landlord is a complete marshmellow and just does whatever you ask of them ????????‍♂️

• Like 1

If this were a thing I would not be able to stay here. I have lived in houses owned by my wife and son, no rental agreement and no lease. My extension is granted due  to having a TM30 and signed copies of house book and owners ID as proof of where I live.

What would they do if you had a one year rental that ran out 3 months after your extension date?

Someone has misinterpreted something.

• Like 1

Hi guys & FYI,

This 1 year period rental contract or agreement required by Imm.  officer did happened to me in Phayao Immigration Office.

Been living in the same monthly rental apartment for several years on OA extensions of stay and with my 800K FD, normal personal and landlord's supporting documents. No such of 1 mth/3mth/1yr rental contract needed. Just housemaster's docs. 

Till when I intentionally lapsed my OA extension to apply a new O visa (without the mandatory insurance US100K or 3M BAHT coverage) via 30 days arrival visa exempt> 90 days> 1 year new O Visa and subsequent extension of stay later.

Attending officer asked for 1 year rental contract/agreement papers and argued how can it staying at the same lodging place for years WITHOUT a yearly contract?

Cut story short, I went back home and drafted a brief & simple yearly contract, indicating either parties can give amper notice to move out or continue staying without having to prepare the same document every year. 

Explained my situation to my landlady, obtained all her housemaster's documents and sign on it. (photocopy few more pages of this same contract can be used yearly during extension application). Hope this will helps.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

Advice is not impossible. 

Two easy questions:  1 year rental contract requirement "normal"?  Is there an appeals process?

Please don't take my comment the wrong way.  I appreciate the "indirect" advice I've been given and will act accordingly.

Thanks, sincerely...

There is NOTHING in the police rules that states you need a 1 year lease to do an extension, BUT you do have to provide proof of address at mant IO's, and to the best of my knowledge there is no appeals process.

I always have to show my lease contract but I am on a 30 year land lease, and copy house book, so I have no direct knowledge of rental contracts required.

However if you have a contract for 3 months, why don't you do a visa extension for three months, move back to where you got your last 1 year extension and get a new 1 year extension there. Problem solved?

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

Any advice/insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.  My visa extension deadline is rapidly approaching...

I can't understand all the fuss you're making over this. Just explain your situation to a landlord and ask for a 1-month notice to leave condition in a one-year contract. If you're taking out 3-month contracts, you're paying more rent anyway, so most landlords wouldn't mind.

19 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

When I asked why I was able to extend my retirement visa in Hua Hin based on a 3 month rental contract, but not at my current province, I was smiled at and told that if I do not like their rules, I was free to pursue my retirement visa extension elsewhere.

Immigration offices can have their own rules that are beyond discussion – follow or move – where I live the immigration office is considered among the most strict in the nation with various rules.

The immigration officer is correct: If you don't like their rules, stay in some other province...:whistling:

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

AFAIK, Korat immigration has always been asking to provide proof a place of residence with my Retirement Visa extension.
I was required to have a valid 1 year rental contract, with a copy of the ID-Card of the landlord.
Even a few months ago at my visa extension.
Every immigration office has different rules.

What Documents Do I Need When Applying for a Thailand Visa Extension?

• If you have family relations to a Thai national:
    • Proof of family relationship such as a Marriage or Birth Certificate
    • Map showing the location of the household (and maybe even pictures)
    • Proof of the required financial means
    • Rental contract
    • The ID of the Thai national
    • You may also have to submit family pictures
    •  
  • If you want to retire in Thailand:
    • Proof of the required financial means/deposit in the Thai bank
    • Proof of monthly income
    • Proof of residence

I forgot to mention that the yearly Rental Contract (standard sheets availalble everywhere) need to be stamped with TAX STAMPS.
NO Tax Stamps = NOT accepted.

Luckely, the Tax Stamps are available at the Copy Shop  next to Immigration .....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I forgot to mention that the yearly Rental Contract (standard sheets availalble everywhere) need to be stamped with TAX STAMPS.
NO Tax Stamps = NOT accepted.

Luckely, the Tax Stamps are available at the Copy Shop  next to Immigration .....

what are the tax stamps for ?

18 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

I am not aware of the things you tell me I "should already know" because I do not, (unlike you, apparently) spend my free time reading visa forums.

As the OP, I set the topic.  The majority of the posts have been about retaliation from immigration officers, not direct answers to my questions.  So, yes, this thread has gotten off topic.

most people who come to such a forum with an issue
would usually search to see if others have had the same or similar experience before they start a new topic asking others who spend their time reading the forum to provide YOU with advice for free.

do as the immigration officer says
or you don't get the stamp
Now you know.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I just had a look at the list of requirements for a retirement extension for Songkhla item 7 is:

"House rental contract (attach a copy of ID card and house registration of house owner)"

Though it doesn't say how long that rental contract should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Nonsense, I got 4 houses in 3 different provinces. Why should I be nailed down? 

Okay, I'll take the troll bait. Because immigration demands it? My hunch is you don't base your O extension on the THREE provinces but one domicile. But please enlighten us...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Do they ? when I first changed from ED to retirement I had, from memory, about 2 months left on my lease. My landlord said don't worry about new lease, leave whenever you want, or stay as long as you want. So no 12 month leases since, and never a problem with Immigration come extension time.

Yes, few will rock up with a full lease of 12 months so obviously there's going to be some forgiveness. They will assume you are continuing the lease and if not ... they'll catch up with you on 90 day + next extension. It's too complicated to be perfect. Try doing it with less than 30 days on the lease champ.

Edited by Plern

6 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

How are you supposed to sync your one year lease with your one year extension?  

How much of the one year lease do you need for it to qualify? 

Would a one year lease with three months left on it be ok?  or would it need to have a minimum of six months validity remaining? 

How do they know you are going to renew the lease? 

This is utterly daft.

They don't. See my post above.

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I don't have a rental contract to include but take gf with me as I am living with her.  Usually because I have been here so long they don't ask.  PT imm

Lucky man. Obviously not Bangkok or anywhere farang swim in large swamps.

This is just luck ...

• Confused 1