Has Immigration lost their mind? Retirement Visa Extension requires a 1 year rental contract?

15 hours ago, Plern said:

Sorry, no.

Most of us are smart enough not to own property

You think most members at Aseanow are tourists here in Thailand??? You do not know that you can own a yellow housebook while living in your wifes house???

• Confused 1

On 6/8/2023 at 8:23 PM, Jingthing said:

I'm sure some immigration people do read this forum. This was discussed here many years ago.  Likely policy maker types at a higher level to get a feel for what the great unwashed f-rangettis are thinking and doing. Yes, stuff they read here can be used against us.

As far as your personal concern at a provincial office, not likely a problem. 

Monitored for reasons other than immigration, you can take that to the bank. 

Our "visa status" and presence in Thailand is a back back back burner issue for any government of the day. 

In any case, immigration services should be removed from the RTP, they are rubbish at keeping track of us anyway, as the recent Phuket debacle proved. 

On 6/8/2023 at 10:49 PM, DrJack54 said:

There is no such thing as a retirement visa. 

Please tell the immigration offices, embassy, etc to remove  "Retirement" from their signs, links, etc to avoid confusion. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 6/8/2023 at 10:45 PM, NotReallyHere said:

There is no early cancellation provision in my rental agreement.  I am told an early cancellation provision in rental contracts is not common in Thailand.

Talk to your landlord to accept that you only want 3 month contract at a time, but immigration want a year contract for you to renew your extension.

I don't think he will decline your request to insert a clause in the contract that states that either party can give xyz days, weeks notice for the occupant to move out and the contract becomes null and void, on that day.

Albert Einstein GIFs | Tenor

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, amexpat said:

Please tell the immigration offices, embassy, etc to remove  "Retirement" from their signs, links, etc to avoid confusion. 

I'm not confused.

In the visa forums "Retirement Visa" conveys nothing.

Could be a Non O-A

Or Non O based on retirement

Could mean Extensions to either of those 2 visas.

Or ME non O retirement.

All different.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Plern said:

Why is the B always done in Bangkok.?

*B is basically the next leg up the visa ladder after tourist btw.

"Why is the B always done in Bangkok.?"

Because i work there.

"*B is basically the next leg up the visa ladder after tourist btw."

You have no clue at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not confused.

In the visa forums "Retirement Visa" conveys nothing.

Could be a Non O-A

Or Non O based on retirement

Could mean Extensions to either of those 2 visas.

Or ME non O retirement.

All different.

So there is no such thing as a Retirement Visa except in its several forms. 

I guess I was confused. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/8/2023 at 7:48 PM, RAZZELL said:

Get a retirement extension in Pattaya and use an agent.

Problem solved.

I'm literally 'married to Thailand' as someone who have been married to a Thai women for 15 years who doesn't want to move to America. 
However - if I was a on a retirement visa?  I would have been gone a decade ago and moved to Mexico or The PI or perhaps certain places in South America or even Europe.  I would not be here unless I was married.

Thailand is one of the most unfriendly, foreigner hating countries in the world.  And yet?  Ya'll keep coming, and then complain when the obvious racial discrimination rears its' ugly, nationalistic head.

Hey retired people.  Why are you still here.  This country hates you unless your net value is in the millions. 
My question OP is:  Why are you still here?

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

So there is no such thing as a Retirement Visa except in its several forms. 

I guess I was confused. 

Stop.

I have explained the term "retirement visa" means and conveys zero information for replies in forum.

You are just being ...

If someone requires information often the main thing is current status in Thailand.

Be that extensions or visa or whatever.

"Retirement Visa" means nothing

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Stop.

I have explained the term "retirement visa" means and conveys zero information for replies in forum.

You are just being ...

If someone requires information often the main thing is current status in Thailand.

Be that extensions or visa or whatever.

"Retirement Visa" means nothing

You are quite right. More specific info is required in order to be helpful to someone with their retirement visa. 

I was responding to the smug pedantic few who claim there is no "retirement visa". There are several such visas. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, amexpat said:

They actually stamp "Retirement" in the passport if the extensions are based on retirement.

Edited by watchcat
  • Confused 2