madmac1

On 6/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, topt said:

See above

"used bookshops"

cantebury tales is a guesthouse/restaurant that has book exchange last i recall
haven't been there in years, stayed there a few times
i was referring to the bookshops that used to be around pattaya

On 6/10/2023 at 10:58 AM, JimTripper said:

Wish there were used bookshops around. Have not found one in Pattaya so far. I don’t think people like reading here much.

There is Canterbury tales, but I doubt if he buys books, does trades though.. 

2 hours ago, patman30 said:

"used bookshops"

cantebury tales is a guesthouse/restaurant that has book exchange last i recall
haven't been there in years, stayed there a few times
i was referring to the bookshops that used to be around pattaya

There is no guesthouse element to the business anymore in the new location, bookshop only with a nice little enclosed basic cafe service set-up with tables and chairs . It's a large container now as opposed to a permanent building structure. 

As mentioned I think the best the OP could likely hope for from Canterbury is a bit of exchange credit in return for his own books.

Personally during COVID I donated a couple of big container boxes of my mainly SE Asia travel books that were gathering dust in my condo to the Thai owned used bookshop/cafe on Chayapreuk just up from the traffic light turn far end of Jomtien Beach Road. Felt like they needed all the help they could get at the time, the lady was genuinely grateful for some additional stock.

Edited by kinyara

2 minutes ago, kinyara said:

There is no guesthouse element to the business anymore in the new location, bookshop only with a nice little enclosed basic cafe service set-up with tables and chairs . It's a large container now as opposed to a permanent building structure. 

not been there in years so don't know of new place
all i know is 2020 i bought 10k books from a guy that cleared out the 3 or 4 solely bookshops in pattaya and jomtien that had closed

Wish there were used bookshops around. Have not found one in Pattaya so far. I don’t think people like reading here much.

Having lived here for many years, I could see the bookshops vanishing at a rate of knots. Figured that it was because most people were now probably using electronic book readers. They're only cheap online, so I bought and learn't to use one. Now I have more books than I could ever read in a lifetime. One of the best things I ever did. Also saves me a trip into town every couple of weeks.

Before anyone has a go, just trying to be helpful here, not on a commission from Kindle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Check out 'Canterbury Tales' that I've seen on the internet.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Having lived here for many years, I could see the bookshops vanishing at a rate of knots. Figured that it was because most people were now probably using electronic book readers. They're only cheap online, so I bought and learn't to use one. Now I have more books than I could ever read in a lifetime. One of the best things I ever did. Also saves me a trip into town every couple of weeks.

Before anyone has a go, just trying to be helpful here, not on a commission from Kindle.

I agree and when travelling the Kindle is indispensable.  My last trip I took 90 books...in my bumbag!

Didn't read many but a wide choice of reading matter was always there if I wanted it.

And, if you do it right, many of them are free (same as music and video) - even if you pay for them, Amazon and Bookbub offer you regular very cheap selections.

There's so little money in books nowadays, especially second hand, unless they have some collectors value...rare, out of print, hard to find...or of some specialized topic like nature guides, birds, butterflies. Haven't found a shop in Thailand, not just Pattaya, that buys books...but rather will give credit towards future purchases. 

On 6/10/2023 at 2:11 PM, patman30 said:

They all closed down, 2020 i bought a lot of used books, about 10k
5 baht a pop, from guy who cleared out the bookshops that closed
he had tonnes he had no space for
i used them for soundproofing a room
but just sold that house, books n all

May I ask how you use books to sound proof a room?

As for the Ops question,try Canterbury Tales, I know they moved though 

Edited by georgegeorgia