Foreigners Rounded Up In Surat Thani Crackdown

webfact

Bout time they rounded up all the Brits on Samui and other islands who are working in dive schools gyms etc with dodgy visas or work permits or ones they bought from the police.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Bout time they rounded up all the Brits on Samui and other islands who are working in dive schools gyms etc with dodgy visas or work permits or ones they bought from the police.

What evidence do you have they bought from the police, Most of the guys I used to know here in Phuket the one you are referring to were legit, But only Brit's arrested? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 days etc bit excessive if they

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Good guys in ... bad guys out .... 

Are you 4real quoting that garbage...visa over-stay of a few days does to sift international criminals from others.

Major crimimals probably sitting on Elite Visas running their operations from LoS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Suratthani is a big province it would be helpful to know the actual area or island that they were apprehended on . I would t be surprised if there were a large number of Russians on overstay due to the conflict that is taking place looks like the crypto currency guy will be getting free bed and breakfast for a while as the saying goes do the crime do the time !

Chaweng beach and lake in the background.

On the hill side close to Chaweng Noi.

15 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

What evidence do you have they bought from the police, Most of the guys I used to know here in Phuket the one you are referring to were legit, But only Brit's arrested? 

like I'm going to be sealioned by you on this thread???? Why do you ask? Are you one of them?

All you need is the immigration number and they will check it out.

Unfortunately a lot of the officials checking it out are the ones complicit in the first place - it needs a "new broom sweeps clean" person in Surat or outside t sort it.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

And Italians and ....................................................

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

I think you have taken this slightly out of context (as has the OP). 

A number of people are fleeing a war or being constripted into a war that they see no point in fighting, as I assume these are Russian?  I would like to ask you what would you do in that situation?

Return and fight (and likely die),

Return and face charges of distertion and a lengthy prison sentence or

Stay put and try to ride it out with limited funds, even if that means breaking a few rules.

I would be interested in your response. 

Follow the rules like everyone else has to do. Very simple.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And Italians and ....................................................

Brits have the majority - as they set up each other - there is a tradtion of scuba and gym people in UK that leads one to the other. And then English language speakers - e.g .Oz,S.A etc follow closely on.

Many are young backpackers or army and they often move on quite quickly a year or so because they can't get another tourist visa.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, moe666 said:

Why are the rules a problem, I have been here 13 years and no problem with the rules. There are always people who will break the rules, they just cannot be bothered.

Especially the Russians, who have it very easy, as they can do overland entries as often as they like...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

13 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Spot on observation. Cambodia is chomping at the bit to receive those who lack the million-plus dollars to stay in the Kingdom.  Someday soon, the Thais will have Thailand all to themselves.

I wouldn't go to Scambodia if they paid me. The Phillipines is a far better option than that Southern Chinese province with it's ex Khmer Rouge dictator. 

12 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Only stupid Jaunta is the problem past 10 years , making visas ridiculously hard, l chose live Philippines coz this bs red tape CCP Criminal Organisation owned  Thailand via Millatary lived in Thailand many year was so easy to get or renew visas multiple re-entry Since 2014 Country gone Backwards Don't want you money Go where you're welcomed Only people suffer here are Thais  , Yes agree l with fraud +++criminals no payments of bills etc, happens ???? wide CCP is biggest criminal organisation in the world They are more than welcome in Thailand & good proportion of Asia Corrupt politicians ????????????????????

Corruption and red tape are worse in the Philippines... plus it's a much more dangerous country to live in for foreigners. I lived there for 5 years, and I'm now in my 18th year in Thailand. Life is a lot more relaxing and peaceful here. Some people just seem to have problems wherever they live. You need to work with the system, not against it. I came here to retire, not get worked up about the politics. That's really not my business at all.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Follow the rules like everyone else has to do. Very simple.

Lol..you do know this is Thailand..."follow the rules." Just like Prayut and Sonthi before did. Okay then. Very simple. 

I guess you, as a young Russian male, would follow the rules and go to war then when conscripted. You are either braver or more stupid than me ..but either way you will probably end up in a hospital if you are lucky or in a zinc lined coffin if less lucky Very simple. 

16 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Is it really cost effective to have an island wide sweep to nab a few idiots who don't bother with the rules.

Even if it is not cost effective, I think the pressure should be there. Otherwise,Thailand will be run over by overstayers from India.

17 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Only stupid Jaunta is the problem past 10 years , making visas ridiculously hard, l chose live Philippines coz this bs red tape CCP Criminal Organisation owned  Thailand via Millatary lived in Thailand many year was so easy to get or renew visas multiple re-entry Since 2014 Country gone Backwards Don't want you money Go where you're welcomed Only people suffer here are Thais  , Yes agree l with fraud +++criminals no payments of bills etc, happens ???? wide CCP is biggest criminal organisation in the world They are more than welcome in Thailand & good proportion of Asia Corrupt politicians ????????????????????

Nice word salad

19 hours ago, fdimike said:

The rules are not particularly difficult to follow as far as I'm concerned.  I've been living in Udon Thani for about 15 years and other than the fiasco when the US embassy stopped providing income letters for immigration everything has been relatively smoothe.

That was Thailand's fault, ALL the Embassies got tired of their petty BS paperwork for confirming something clearly obvious by other means  taking up valuable resources, and just said "enough!" in a diplomatic way. 

The annual extension circus and 90 day non-sense here is the one thing I really hate with a passion.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jonclark said:

Lol..you do know this is Thailand..."follow the rules." Just like Prayut and Sonthi before did. Okay then. Very simple. 

I guess you, as a young Russian male, would follow the rules and go to war then when conscripted. You are either braver or more stupid than me ..but either way you will probably end up in a hospital if you are lucky or in a zinc lined coffin if less lucky Very simple. 

I served and I follow the rules. Simple. 18 years and no problems. Easy. You?

23 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Spot on observation. Cambodia is chomping at the bit to receive those who lack the million-plus dollars to stay in the Kingdom.  Someday soon, the Thais will have Thailand all to themselves.

Which is just what some anti foreigner, Thailand is for the Thais, want.

5 hours ago, chalawaan said:

That was Thailand's fault, ALL the Embassies got tired of their petty BS paperwork for confirming something clearly obvious by other means  taking up valuable resources, and just said "enough!" in a diplomatic way. 

The annual extension circus and 90 day non-sense here is the one thing I really hate with a passion.  

A prize-winning post, stating the obvious. I am always amazed when I happen upon an IO worker who can read plain English. The requirements are obviously “make work” projects to justify their large work force and the bank requirements are a gift to the poorly-run banks in the country. The Embassies should have just guaranteed confirmation.  They can’t be held responsible because they have diplomatic immunity.

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I served and I follow the rules. Simple. 18 years and no problems. Easy. You?

23 years here with visas. taxes, property and eventually PR- that's longer than you!! Does that make me more right than you? 

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Which is just what some anti foreigner, Thailand is for the Thais, want.

Honetsly most Thais are not anti-foreigner - the vast majority really don't care. Those that are anti-forigner are just better or more passionate about beating their xenophobic drums. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:56 AM, Mad mick said:

Never had a problem with visa in Thailand for 20 years, but if you are Thai and want to visit UK or USA etc

Did not the Philippines have a problem with young retired Chinese on crooked visas not long ago....