Chinese gang caught selling overpriced amulets to tourists in famous Thai temple

webfact

47 minutes ago, ezzra said:

And where was the abbot and the other temple's management people in all of this? next they will say that they didn't had a clue of the scam going on right under their noses right?

Where's the scam?

Amulets are amulets.

Tourist no like price, tourist no pay price.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Thumbs Up 2

The simple retort for prospective buyers to use is

"but they don't work - they aren't lucky"

"how do you know that?"

" well you've got all these trays full of them...............

......& you're getting no money off me"

Joking aside, its not anything new. Way before covid in the crest of the flag following wave of Chinese tours they were being bussed into a Wat local to me. First to Wai an outside effigy  and then into the main temple hall were a great "U" of tables awaited with Chinese sellers of amulets salivating in anticipation. I had a quick perusal myself (between busses) and whilst no expert I know enough after all these years on the ground here to know rampant scamster pricing when its on show.

Edited by Regyai
  • Thumbs Up 1

I understand the other charges but selling for inflated prices I don't.  Were they the only sellers at that temple?  What prices were the others selling them for?  

Were the other vendors complaining, "They won't buy from us we sell them too cheap".

Edited by rwill

14 hours ago, rwill said:

I understand the other charges but selling for inflated prices I don't.  Were they the only sellers at that temple?  What prices were the others selling them for?  

Were the other vendors complaining, "They won't buy from us we sell them too cheap".

When these temples go commercial it is an ugly thing. It had happened to the one near me and coachloads of Chinese tourists were coming and going all day. That of course brought hawkers and beggars and you could not get into the 7-11 nearby. It also caused traffic issues getting in and out at the main highway. Thankfully I believe a change of Abbot and it stopped. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

19 hours ago, Regyai said:

The simple retort for prospective buyers to use is

"but they don't work - they aren't lucky"

"how do you know that?"

" well you've got all these trays full of them

Plus the really lucky ones are 2nd hand so their previous owners are dead.  

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Plus the really lucky ones are 2nd hand so their previous owners are dead.  

I think amulets bestowing immortality would be pushing credibility a bit too far in any event.