first iphone... 12 or 13?

1FinickyOne

I need an iphone to sync w/my new car... I don't use for much more than line and I want to put a bunch of music on it as well - maybe 3,000 songs...

what do I need? 

the money is not a big issue for me but don't need to overpay either... 

I have been told iphone 14 is too big for the car to charge... the car has a nice little shelf under the dash that charges iphones wirelessly

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

IPhone 14 (not the Pro Max or plus) and the 13 and 12 are the same size 6,1”

https://www.apple.com/th/iphone/compare/?modelList=iphone-14,iphone-12,iphone-13

i would go for the iPhone 14 (not pro max or plus) with 128 or 256GiB storage. 

Thanks, but iphone 14 will not work w/the new car as noted above? The link does not seem to be working... 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks, but iphone 14 will not work w/the new car as noted above? The link does not seem to be working... 

link not working, its just a link to the apple site

Does this work?

https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/browse/home_th_en

you mean charging via wireless, you can always use a USB cable to charge it

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, MJCM said:

link not working, its just a link to the apple site

Does this work?

https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/browse/home_th_en

you mean charging via wireless, you can always use a USB cable to charge it

yes, there is a wireless charge that only works with Apple... thanks for the link. I was in an Apple store and walked out discouraged after the child salesman had never heard of itunes... I am ready to go back.. and to subscribe to Spotify... 

OP: If you only want an iPhone for basic functionality get an iphone12 with, say 256 Gb of memory to endure sufficient storage for downloaded music. Apple IOS updates are supported. FYI I have an iPhoneSE with 256 memory which currently support approx 5,600 downloaded tracks from iTunes, I have an old car so run the music from iPhone plugged into the radio.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, there is a wireless charge that only works with Apple... thanks for the link. I was in an Apple store and walked out discouraged after the child salesman had never heard of itunes... I am ready to go back.. and to subscribe to Spotify... 

With iPhone easy to run iTunes.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I was in an Apple store and walked out discouraged after the child salesman had never heard of itunes... I am ready to go back.. and to subscribe to Spotify... 

yes iTunes is for them something from the past, they all use streaming sites.

all my music is in iTunes (10k plus songs all legit) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes, there is a wireless charge that only works with Apple... thanks for the link.

What car is it?

This 'only working with iPhone' sounds a bit strange - maybe its Magsafe compatible?

If you just need an iPhone that has wireless charging just for car media and using Carplay, then an iPhone 8 with 256gb would do the job.

If you are gonna use as your regular phone then obviously a 12 or 13 will be better.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

the information you have received is almost certainly incorrect, I can virtually guarantee that if the earlier phone will work that the iPhone 14 will also work, it is just possible that it will not fast charge but that is actually a good thing.

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

iTunes has been deprecated on Mac OS from Catalina, it is available on older versions of the OS and with windows computers. There are now a number of apps that provide the functions formerly available in iTunes, they are apple Music, Apple TV, Podcasts, and the App Store for app updates. So it is not surprising that the salesman wasn’t familiar with it.

For CarPlay I prefer YouTube Music though other apps that work are Music, Spotify (free or paid), VLC, Gold, myTuner Radio, and RadioTunes.

it is incredibly unlikely that the wireless charger will only work with an iPhone.

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I think I mentioned that only an iPhone works with my car... 

that demonstrates that he doesn’t know what he is talking about as if apple CarPlay is available then so is android auto 

https://toyotaaudioandconnectedservicessupport.com/toyota/bluetooth-compatability/15/2236

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I think I mentioned that only an iPhone works with my car... 

I think you have no idea what you're talking about in regards to:
Wireless charging

iPhones
Carplay / Android Auto
iTunes
Music streaming

Yet you only give snippets of information, and replied answers get snipey replies

Ridiculous ????

One thing you may not have considered; depending on age of car (again, you didnt think to mention this....) it may not have wireless carplay?? so the phone will need to be plugged in anyway.

look at this android phone getting charged in a 2015 Camry..... ????

23 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

One thing you may not have considered; depending on age of car (again, you didnt think to mention this....)

Does his post not suggest that it is a 2023 model, that doesn’t address the fact that Toyota is so far behind other makers that they have only recently allowed CarPlay and Android Auto.

23 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I need an iphone to sync w/my new car...

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Does his post not suggest that it is a 2023 model, that doesn’t address the fact that Toyota is so far behind other makers that they have only recently allowed CarPlay and Android Auto.

New to him doesnt have to mean a brand new car.  

1 hour ago, Sigma6 said:

New to him doesnt have to mean a brand new car.  

It certainly doesn’t and he will not actually reveal all the needed information, however Toyota was late to the market only starting to introduce CarPlay and AA in 2019 & 2020 I can’t find when wireless CarPlay was introduced in the Camry but doubt it was early.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

I think you have no idea what you're talking about

absolutely correct but I am not talking, I am asking - that is why i am looking for answers... I was told by the salesman that an iphone 14 does not work... maybe he meant to say that it works but charges slowly... which would be fine for me.. I don't know much about cars or phones... I just want to enjoy music in my car... 

I used to use an ipod and was quite happy with that... 

I can and will contact the salesman... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I can and will contact the salesman... 

Given the info he's told you so far, the best thing you can do is completely forget anything that sales man has told you.... 

Then to allow us to help you by answering the following: 

- What Make, Model and Age of Car ?

- Does the Car have AppleCarPlay ?

- Does the Car have AndroidAuto ? (if it has apple car play then thats a likely yes). 

- What is YOUR preference of Phone ?

Am I correct in assuming: 

- You want to stream Spotify through AppleCarPlay to your car speakers?

- You want your Phone to 'remain charged' while streaming AppleCarPlay ?

- Your car has a 'Wireless charging'  (i.e. no need for charging cables) ?

Questions: 

- Will the Apple Car Play work without a wired connection (i.e. through Bluetooth) ?? (some won't).

- Same question for Android Auto.

Assumptions: 

- Your Salesman told you that you couldn't charge an iPhone 14 - which one ?

iPhone14 / iPhone14 Pro / iPhone14 Pro Max  - the iPhone 12, 13 and 14 are all the same sizes.

Any new car with 'wireless charging in mind' will surely accommodate the most popular phones on the market. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given the info he's told you so far, the best thing you can do is completely forget anything that sales man has told you.... 

Then to allow us to help you by answering the following: 

- What Make, Model and Age of Car ?

- Does the Car have AppleCarPlay ?

- Does the Car have AndroidAuto ? (if it has apple car play then thats a likely yes). 

- What is YOUR preference of Phone ?

Questions: 

- Will the Apple Car Play work without a wired connection (i.e. through Bluetooth) ?? (some won't).

- Same question for Android Auto.

Assumptions: 

- Your Salesman told you that you couldn't charge an iPhone 14 - which one ?

iPhone14 / iPhone14 Pro / iPhone14 Pro Max  - the iPhone 12, 13 and 14 are all the same sizes.

Any new car with 'wireless charging in mind' will surely accommodate the most popular phones on the market. 

The salesman has been terrific... he did mention in passing abt the iphone 14 not being ideal... something abt the battery being too big???

I will ask him to clarify...

in the past [the last 10 years probably] I have used an ipod w/a connection to the car... the ipod has since died and I have been told is unfixable.

What Make, Model and Age of Car ?   The car is a new Toyota Camry.

- Does the Car have AppleCarPlay ? I first heard of Applecarplay 2 days ago - 

- Does the Car have AndroidAuto ? (if it has apple car play then thats a likely yes). no idea.

- What is YOUR preference of Phone ? I have been using a very cheap Samsung for many years. I am not really a phone person... I assume I will need to spring for a new iphone which is fine by me..

There is bluetooth I think so probably...

I will ask why he said that abt 14? He did not say which one? He is a young guy and I think pretty tech savvy - very nice young man... 

Sure, that all sounds nice... all my music is in itunes but I have been enjoying messing w/free Spotify on my home desktop Mac computer, making playlists... I will subscribe tonight...

I have ben told that itunes is sort of dated. The kid at Studio 7 did not know what itunes was...

It is not that I don't like tech but I just use what I need... but then the words and definitions have passed me by... there don't tend to be manuals these days and when I get instructions on youtube or wherever, there are things that I never heard of... sure, now I know what a dongle is, but the first time... no idea.. Same as 'apple car play' 

Thanks for taking the time and I have learned at least a few things from your answer. 

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The salesman has been terrific... he did mention in passing abt the iphone 14 not being ideal... something abt the battery being too big???

I will ask him to clarify...

He is a salesman. That doesn’t mean that he has no technical knowledge but there are many salesmen whose job is to be nice and they are experts at that. But they are not technical experts in the details of their products. It is quite common for someone who has done enough research to know more than they do. 
I can virtually guarantee that the wireless charger will maintain the battery level if not increase it by much. If you want to charge your phone (Apple or android are both compatible) then you may need to use a USB cable.

in the past [the last 10 years probably] I have used an ipod w/a connection to the car... the ipod has since died and I have been told is unfixable.

It is unlikely to not be fixable though it may cost too much to bother.

I have been using a very cheap Samsung for many years. I am not really a phone person... I assume I will need to spring for a new iphone which is fine by me..

You may need a newer model, specially because Android phone’s support lifespan is half that of the iPhones. Also in general Apple CarPlay is better and easier to use than Android Auto. (NOTE I don’t care about the Android Auto experts and long term users, you will stay with the system you know, but for the new user CarPlay is the better option)

I will ask why he said that abt 14? He did not say which one? He is a young guy and I think pretty tech savvy - very nice young man... 

Nice young man is not equal to tech savvy, though it can be

Sure, that all sounds nice... all my music is in itunes

You don’t say which computer you are using. My guess is windows.

I have ben told that itunes is sort of dated. The kid at Studio 7 did not know what itunes was...

For Apple computers it is, not for windows. However iTunes is the front end and there are 3 apps that have superseded it as the front end, however all your music is still available using the Music app.

It is not that I don't like tech but I just use what I need... but then the words and definitions have passed me by...

A very reasonable approach 

The problem is that apple takes the approach that they will change the way things work and you have few choices but to learn the new way. This is so much so that while I do tech support for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod users I have had to call Apple tech support a few times recently 

• Thanks 1

You will (should) be fine with any new phone and either / or a Wired (USB) or BlueTooth connection to your Car.... and then play your Spotify to either Apple Car Play or the Andriod version. 

The charging issue.... that may be a valid concern and it depends on the 'size' of the pad and where the charging coil is 'located' in the care in specific relation (position) to how you place down the phone, all of which are slightly varying 'size'.... 

Apple use something called MagSafe for this reason - the 'charing coil' magnetically locks in to place with the iPhone so that it is positioned perfectly to charge. Without this 'magnetic lock' (magnetic positioning) the phone may not be positioned correctly and may not charge.

As with charging any phone in any car there is always an alternative which is simply to charge through the USB Port (or a 12 volt power outlet with a USB charger / adapter). 

Ultimately, whatever phone you have will connect via BlueTooth to any modern car (caveat - unless there is some software block I'm unaware of). 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You will (should) be fine with any new phone and either / or a Wired (USB) or BlueTooth connection to your Car.... and then play your Spotify to either Apple Car Play or the Andriod version. 

The charging issue.... that may be a valid concern and it depends on the 'size' of the pad and where the charging coil is 'located' in the care in specific relation (position) to how you place down the phone, all of which are slightly varying 'size'.... 

Apple use something called MagSafe for this reason - the 'charing coil' magnetically locks in to place with the iPhone so that it is positioned perfectly to charge. Without this 'magnetic lock' (magnetic positioning) the phone may not be positioned correctly and may not charge.

As with charging any phone in any car there is always an alternative which is simply to charge through the USB Port (or a 12 volt power outlet with a USB charger / adapter). 

Ultimately, whatever phone you have will connect via BlueTooth to any modern car (caveat - unless there is some software block I'm unaware of). 

Thanks, I weathered 3 hours in Big C where I bought the iPhone as they were having a sale... my Thai is good conversationally but technically, I barely have a grasp in English. After leaving, I discovered I had no idea how to do anything on the phone including contact my niece who was waiting to have lunch w/me. But, my niece has an iPhone and helps out too. 

The car salesman was terrific and helped out further setting up the phone including facial recognition though I never needed to lock a phone before, so more can feel like less. But, I drove out listening to Spotify and feel like I am on my way. It sounded great too. I imagine there will be further questions but I brought the salesman a pizza in appreciation... he is happily helpful. 

It was surely challenging and I mostly had no idea what was going on, but life in general has been quite challenging lately as others are suffering horrible health issues. So many are going through tough times w/no cure in sight, so, iPhones and cars must be kept in perspective. 

Thanks again. You have been helpful. 

• Thumbs Up 1