Tourism promotion: TCT urges government to market Thailand as prime retiree destination

webfact

4 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Why on earth would any Western retiree want to put up with the immigration hassle and the awful pollution. 

I agree with the post above. I hope retiree's have the sense to research it first. 

It depends on where your IO is and where the pollution is. Immigration is NOT the same all across Thailand.

I don't have any hassle with the IO at Kamphaeng Phet. In fact they are very farang friendly. When I damaged my elbow last year, I was unable to sign my name and the Lady IO sorted that out for me.

Because I have a problem walking, when I go for my 90 reports I get bumped up the queue and nobody complains.

Also here in rural KPP there is not so much pollution either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

More intelligent and wiser old hands have never felt the need to play the game with the non-O types * very life restrictive. There are a couple of alternative avenues for foreign residents to take advantage, as they've been in place forever. Know quite a few of these selective types that aren't harnessed with the dreaded retirement, marriage, family or business long term visas. 

What a subtle way to talk about overstayers ????

They need to start by ensuring retirees are treated, as they deserve to be, in a polite, respectful, helpful and friendly manner at their immigration office. At the moment at some offices it is a degrading experience and I personally know some who choose other visas rather than have to deal with them and endure this. I wish there was some customer feedback mechanism to expose them for what these Immigration Officers for what they are.

Just now, SunsetT said:

They need to start by ensuring retirees are treated, as they deserve to be, in a polite, respectful, helpful and friendly manner at their immigration office. At the moment at some offices it is a degrading experience and I personally know some who choose other visas rather than have to deal with them and endure this. I wish there was some customer feedback mechanism to expose them for what these Immigration Officers for what they are.

How would "they" go about ensuring that? 

What have you been subjected to that you felt was degrading? 

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

It depends on where your IO is and where the pollution is. Immigration is NOT the same all across Thailand.

I don't have any hassle with the IO at Kamphaeng Phet. In fact they are very farang friendly. When I damaged my elbow last year, I was unable to sign my name and the Lady IO sorted that out for me.

Because I have a problem walking, when I go for my 90 reports I get bumped up the queue and nobody complains.

What a mess, unreal.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Why on earth would any Western retiree want to put up with the immigration hassle and the awful pollution. 

I agree with the post above. I hope retiree's have the sense to research it first. 

For the same reason I see many posts from first time retirees in this forum and there may be more not posting in the forum. ALso looking at pattaya where drunk would be bride seekers are bar hopping in search of a bride, I don't see any lack of retirement visa applicants in Thailand. Also, retirees are not going to find their future brides bar hopping in any other countries, I assume. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I don't think so by reading the type of posts I see in this forum, like the differences between visa and permission to stay date. They choose other types of visa but did not leave the country due to their degrading experience. That speaks a volume. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

First and foremost they need to understand what retired people in other countries have to live on.

Which of course they won't, in true Thai style they'll come out assuming all retirees are multi millionaire's and market accordingly as we've seen in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

The littler known and non-descript provinces make for the best living situations.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Thailand should also offer some perks for retirees and other expats to relocate there.  Just as some other countries do. Being retired and  after living in Bangkok for a period of time. I saw really not much of an incentive to live in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Thailand should also offer some perks for retirees and other expats to relocate there.  Just as some other countries do. Being retired and  after living in Bangkok for a period of time. I saw really not much of an incentive to live in Thailand. 

It used to be the blue skies and warm weather and very cheap cost of living.

14 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Most of us still have options beyond going "home" there is The Philippines.

Thailand IMO is far more developed, but it's not impossible to be happy there. 

The biggest problem for me here is Immigration. 

Yes brother, you said it's easy for you.

But WHY do we need to deal with it at all? 

We are retired, most of us cause no problems, we are not a significant source of national income at all, but we still contribute significantly in our small hometown economy. We maybe spend at least 4x the average Thai working family minimum. 

I would be happy to still pay 2K a year for my extension, but just make it online! 

Scrap all this BS of signed copies in blue ink!

Photographs, stupid stamps wasting space, this is immigration procedure from my childhood in the west in the middle of LAST CENTURY let it all be in the SYSTEM!

And just let us live in peace.  

The best solution would be to get a one time retirement visa and done!

But if they must hassle us then make it all digital. 

Rant over. 

That to me is a prime feature of Costa Rica’s retirement visa. Financial requirement is only $1,000/ month. If you collect US SS the proof can be gotten at the Embassy .You do have to buy in to the national health care, but the cost is based on your declared retirement income and most everything is free under that program.

I understand the beaurocratic BS can be as Byzantine as here,  but heck it is most everywhere now. Going on three years to get my wife a green card for US, with agency help.

My suggestions for improved retirement recruiting would be less emphasis on “ big spenders”, as there are any more attractive destinations for those with means. Retirees may not be a huge national resource, but are the “ rice and Nam prik” for many locals.

Permit retirees to buy into the national health scheme at a reasonable rate.

After a period, say five years, allow permanent resident status.

Just a few meandering thoughts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

But Bangkok is NOT the whole of Thailand. There are many other places to live, depending on what you want to do with your life.