Are you actually hungry ? Habit or need ?

The Cobra

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

You clearly read a lot of scientific studies.

And that's highly commendable.

But by debating with folks on here, you are diminishing your efforts.

Most people on here will just plant seeds of doubt about what you've learned.

And most people don't know what they're talking about.

I suggest you continue reading the scientific articles and always bear in mind that there is a lot of conflicting information out there. 

And get off the internet. People will detract you more than anything else. 

Not really. You get to see who has done research and who hasn't.

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Guff again, so these experts recommend eating lots of junk food? such as ice cream, chocolate, pastries, cakes, biscuits, crisps? it's just common sense, what happens when you eat this stuff, guess what, you put weight on

No they don't but you wouldn't know. On your own admission you read nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I only eat breakfast if I am hungry, and it is usually very light. I do eat lunch and dinner, but only if I am hungry, and try to limit the quantities I eat. Not always easy here, since I love Thai food and spicy food, and my woman is an incredible chef.

However, snacking is the real problem for me. I know I could lose alot of weight if I quit snacking. But, it is so much fun!

I'm lucky that my wife doesn't cook, so eating is a job and I only do it well after I'm hungry. I might be hungry for hours before I get around to eating.

19 minutes ago, bignok said:
20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Have you ever given any thought as to the reason why we call the first meal of the day breakfast?

19 minutes ago, bignok said:

Breaks the fast. Can break a fast after 24 or 48 hours though.

It could be interpreted that way, but it's not its normal use and you know it.

Reported Troll post and the replies have been removed. Should you decide to attack another poster again you will be suspended from posting.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

51 minutes ago, bignok said:

Then you should know ice cream, chocolate, chips are much higher carbs than fat.

44 minutes ago, bignok said:

Actually depends on the chocolate being used & the rest of the ingredients.  

"So is dark chocolate actually healthy? Dark chocolate is rich in disease-fighting antioxidants. Studies show it can help reduce blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease. Studies show that dark chocolate — when it is not loaded with sugar and saturated fat — is indeed a heart-healthy chocolate treat and more."

https://www.scripps.org/news_items/5317-is-dark-chocolate-healthy#:~:text=So is dark chocolate actually,healthy chocolate treat and more.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Actually depends on the chocolate being used & the rest of the ingredients.  

"So is dark chocolate actually healthy? Dark chocolate is rich in disease-fighting antioxidants. Studies show it can help reduce blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease. Studies show that dark chocolate — when it is not loaded with sugar and saturated fat — is indeed a heart-healthy chocolate treat and more."

https://www.scripps.org/news_items/5317-is-dark-chocolate-healthy#:~:text=So is dark chocolate actually,healthy chocolate treat and more.

I eat dark chocolate. Better still just eat cacao or cocoa.

36 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It could be interpreted that way, but it's not its normal use and you know it.

Origin of the word is "break the fast". That's what it means.

I don't know what normal means. No such thing as a normal diet.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

I eat dark chocolate. Better still just eat cacao or cocoa.

Eat dark chocolate almost everyday.  It's one of the dog's and mine, sweet treats we can't seem to go without.  Rarely do processed chocolate candies (Snickers/etc) any more.  Go right for the real stuff, so much better, and healthier.

And I know, some say you should never give dogs chocolate, as one friend pointed out, told it would kill them.  Obviously me & my dog's have proved that silly notion wrong.  He used to feed his dog only poached chicken & dog food ... poor thing.

Wife has done the cacao pods before, and damn tasty, but way too much work.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A dietician told me that "if it's white, don't eat it".

So food stuffs like wheat , potatoes and rice, which saved billions of ppl from starvation through the ages is very very bad for us they say. 

What a bunch of nonsense. 

41 minutes ago, bignok said:

Origin of the word is "break the fast". That's what it means.

I don't know what normal means. No such thing as a normal diet.

I think you're waffle-ing.

12 hours ago, save the frogs said:

there is a lot of conflicting information out there. 

There is basically no such thing as truth in a lot of intellectual endeavours. And the subject of diet is perhaps the best example. There is too many variables, its too complex and too many things are random. 

One guru says one thing, and the next guru says the opposite. One trend catches on. Then 5 years later, the next trend is almost the opposite of the previous one

One guru says that fasting makes you gain weight because your body notices less intake so it decides it needs to store energy.  Then the next guru says of course you need to eat less. Because excess calory intake simply means you are gaining weight. 

And then there is water retention. People working out and dieting aren't losing any fat because their body retains too much water. They actually end up losing more weight when they give up and have a big meal. Because the water goes away

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

There is basically no such thing as truth in a lot of intellectual endeavours. And the subject of diet is perhaps the best example. There is too many variables, its too complex and too many things are random. 

People are shoving all kinds of different foods into their bodies.

And illnesses take decades to form.

So maybe researchers have a hard time isolating the effects of specific foods.  

Peter Attia, a well-respected doctor, admitted that there are too many confounding variables which leave doctors perplexed on how to interpret the data. 

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I think you're waffle-ing.

10 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

One guru says one thing, and the next guru says the opposite. One trend catches on. Then 5 years later, the next trend is almost the opposite of the previous one

One guru says that fasting makes you gain weight because your body notices less intake so it decides it needs to store energy.  Then the next guru says of course you need to eat less. Because excess calory intake simply means you are gaining weight. 

And then there is water retention. People working out and dieting aren't losing any fat because their body retains too much water. They actually end up losing more weight when they give up and have a big meal. Because the water goes away

Look at research not gurus.

Edited by bignok

On 6/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, The Cobra said:

Just wondering, when do you eat ? Are you actually hungry or just trained or conditioned to eat at a certain time of day, eating out of habit ?

I would have structured the question differently, "are you eating because of conditioning or because of need?"

Simply put. Since "Habit" has physical components, that cause hunger , then  even when eating by "habit" you are eating because you are hungry. 

Question Chat GPT : does  habit have physical components that induce someone to be hungry

Answer:Yes, habits can have physical components that can induce hunger. For example, if someone is used to snacking at a certain time of day or in a certain situation, such as when watching TV, their body can become accustomed to expecting food during that time. This can cause their body to release hunger hormones and trigger hunger signals even if they are not necessarily hungry. Additionally, if someone regularly eats high-carbohydrate or high-sugar foods, this can lead to a spike in blood sugar levels followed by a crash, which can make them feel hungry even if they have recently eaten.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Have you ever given any thought as to the reason why we call the first meal of the day breakfast?

no.

1 hour ago, Harsh Jones said:

So food stuffs like wheat , potatoes and rice, which saved billions of ppl from starvation through the ages is very very bad for us they say. 

What a bunch of nonsense. 

It depends on the context. The advice was given in the context of reducing weight and insulin resistance. I don't doubt that many people have eaten potatoes and rice for centuries. Mainly, however, the potatoes and rice weren't traditionally white.

Young people can eat anything if they are active but old people should largely avoid those foods.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is interesting reading, but I don't know why my post got so many sad emoji. 

I did make a typo.  I meant to say my main meal was between 7 and 8 pm...not 8pm and 8pm lol. 

I'm very happy with my diet and body.  I weigh 62kg,.. I am 47 years old and weigh the same as I did when I was 21. 

I can wear the same size jeans / clothes as I did back then. 

I'm slim and we'll toned, even have a bit of a six pack, and no tummy buldge.  I also have lots of energy and no health problems. 

When I got my blood test at the hospital all the results were good..no cholesterol problems, no diabetes, and my heart is healthy with low resting heart beat and normal blood pressure. 

For food for an average day would be no breakfast, bowl of beef egg noodles for lunch and then a large portion of 'normal' farang food in the evening.  It's always home cooked and no processed food. I  make my own chips, mushy peas, pizza and bread etc. 

For drinks I drink various teas (no sugar added) or water. Sometimes a sugar free fizzy drink or soda water. 

Now that was an average day.  So, occasionally I will deviate from this. For example, if I'm in a hotel I will have a breakfast there if included in the price. Also I might have a fruit smoothie with yoghurt (but no added sugar) if I go shopping at a mall.

Sometimes I will eat steamed sweet potatoes (I love these) or the occasional couple pieces of fried chicken from the market. 

I do not follow any special diets like the no carbs etc.  

My belief is simply have a variety of food and do not over eat any one kind.  Also avoid highly process stuff, sweetened drinks and anything from 7 / 11 haha. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I eat all fruit in moderation. I've read that the recommended levels are 2 or 3 pieces a day minimum. One of the above websites states that only watermelon and over ripe bananas are high glycemic load. Another unlinked site adds grapes to that list.

A good way to eat fruit is after a protein shake or high protein meal as the protein inhibits insulin spikes. Also, go for a walk immediately after consuming the fruit. And resistance training a couple of times a week.

A dietician told me that "if it's white, don't eat it".

There is a whole movement out there called fruitarians and eating 10 banana a day plus another 10 pieces of other fruits. Most are super slim and look healthy. There is difference between suger and fruit suger. Great way to heal stomach issues and cleans 

• Confused 1

Just now, whereyougo said:

There is a whole movement out there called fruitarians and eating 10 banana a day plus another 10 pieces of other fruits. Most are super slim and look healthy. There is difference between suger and fruit suger. Great way to heal stomach issues and cleans 

Link to this claim please? I'm not referring to the difference between sugar and fructose.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

What claim? Just Google there are thousands of links 

This claim

"Great way to heal stomach issues and cleans". I'm not denying the nutritional value of fruit but a fruitarian diet is highly dangerous.

Just google it isn't acceptable round these parts.

The moon is made of cheese, just google it.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1