Are you actually hungry ? Habit or need ?

The Cobra

23 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

There is a whole movement out there called fruitarians and eating 10 banana a day plus another 10 pieces of other fruits. Most are super slim and look healthy. There is difference between suger and fruit suger. Great way to heal stomach issues and cleans 

Sugar is sugar.  Granted, fruit sugar, especially if not just juice, gives a bunch more fiber & nutrients than table sugar, but in excess, a fruit diet, that's got to be too much sugar at the end the day.

Heal you stomach issues .... don't know about you, but when I OD on fruit sugar, it upsets my stomach with all the acid it produces.

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

This claim

"Great way to heal stomach issues and cleans". I'm not denying the nutritional value of fruit but a fruitarian diet is highly dangerous.

Just google it isn't acceptable round these parts.

The moon is made of cheese, just google it.

So rather than Google 2 words fruit cleanse you post twice around 100 words. 

Google this..... Anger issues and let me know if helps you 5555 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

I'm not angry. I just can't find anything credible that says a fruitarian diet is healthy. Apparently, neither can you.

Edited by ozimoron

27 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

A fruit cleanse is fine, but anyone on a fruit diet, their body would have adjusted to the higher intake of fruit, and a cleanse probably wouldn't work that well.

So you talking a cleanse & fast, or a lifestyle diet.   Can't agree with the latter, as not a balanced diet IMHO

Your body needs protein & fats.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 3:00 AM, scubascuba3 said:

People are overweight because of poor knowledge and poor self discipline, but people do eat out of habit and for entertainment 

And being bored! 

Eat one big meal, and one smaller meal inside 5 hours window. Eat less carbs, and more protein and vegetables. Works combined with weight training combined  with padling and rowing. Less walking and hiking unfortunate because of the nature of living in Thailand. To hot and not many places I find locally for more often routine.

Clean food, fish, beef, lamb, raindeer (sorry santa) moose, dear, and try to stay out of most farmed animals when can avoid it. Hard in Thailand thow.

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

To a fruit case!

Why do people follow unproven fad diets. 

Just eat naturally within reason!

It's only a cleanse, not an eating lifestyle.  Probably better than induced by other, pharmaceutics methods.

Tourist subject themselves to 'cleanses' all the time, unknowingly.  'OMG this fruit, lets get a bunch more' .... then wonder why they're stuck on the toilet the next day and scared to fart.

Agree, a balance diet makes so much more sense, than OD'ing on one 1 food group. Not sure your body was designed for that.  Know mine isn't.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, but people can't just do that, poor self control means they eat too much and too much junk food

You'd think looking in the mirror or seeing those group photos would be enough motivation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

https://draxe.com/nutrition/fruitarian-diet/

Have you ever read about the Steve Jobs diet? Well, it sounds like it changed quite frequently, but for some time he was following a fruitarian diet. Preparing to play Mr. Jobs back in 2013, actor Ashton Kutcher got really into the movie role and even followed a fruitarian diet himself. How did that go? Not very well at all. Kutcher ended up in the hospital just two days before he was supposed to begin shooting the movie. 

Dangers of Fruitarian Diet

- Lack of Protein

- Lack of Healthy Fats

- Nutrient Deficiencies

- Problems with Insulin levels, pancreatic and kidney issues

Wrong. Jobs had cancer and then switched to pure fruit and by that time it spread to his pancreas and game over 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Wrong. Jobs had cancer and then switched to pure fruit and by that time it spread to his pancreas and game over 

the link mentions that ashton kutcher was hospitalized after being on the fruitarian diet.

it doesn't make claims about Jobs' health issues.

but Jobs (-probably-) had a bunch of hippie friends out there in california giving him bad health advice. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

https://draxe.com/nutrition/fruitarian-diet/

Have you ever read about the Steve Jobs diet? Well, it sounds like it changed quite frequently, but for some time he was following a fruitarian diet. Preparing to play Mr. Jobs back in 2013, actor Ashton Kutcher got really into the movie role and even followed a fruitarian diet himself. How did that go? Not very well at all. Kutcher ended up in the hospital just two days before he was supposed to begin shooting the movie. 

Dangers of Fruitarian Diet

- Lack of Protein

- Lack of Healthy Fats

- Nutrient Deficiencies

- Problems with Insulin levels, pancreatic and kidney issues

Terrible diet. Super low in protein, high in sugar.

32 minutes ago, bignok said:

Terrible diet. Super low in protein, high in sugar.

The "sugar" in fruit is tricky though.

That's one issue in the diet world that there is a lot of debate about.

How much fruit should we be eating?

The carnivore and keto folks absolutely avoid all fruit because ... carbs. 

Some doctors think the sugar in fruit is so bad that all fruit should be avoided.

Other doctors may tell you to stop eating fruit if you are pre-diabetic.

Nobody seems to know for sure how much fruit we should be eating, in any at all. 

As far as I can tell, the scientific research hasn't been able to figure it out and doctors are just guessing. 

Edited by save the frogs

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

Some doctors think the sugar in fruit is so bad that all fruit should be avoided.

Nobody seems to know for sure how much fruit we should be eating, in any at all. 

As far as I can tell, the scientific research hasn't been able to figure it out and doctors are just guessing. 

2 pieces a day is what they used to say. An apple a day keeps the dr away.

Apart from vit c why eat fruit? Potassium? Better sources see below

Vit c

https://www.weekand.com/healthy-living/article/stawberries-vitamin-c-oranges-18022738.php

Potassium

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/290053/8-foods-with-more-potassium-than-a-banana/

The recommendation is still 2 or 3 serves of fruit per day, including for diabetics.

The American Diabetes Association reports that any fruit is fine for a person with diabetes, so long as that person is not allergic to that type of fruit.

In fact, studies such as one from 2017Trusted Source have found that a higher fruit intake is significantly associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/311220#fruits-to-limit

Edited by ozimoron

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A fruit cleanse is fine, but anyone on a fruit diet, their body would have adjusted to the higher intake of fruit, and a cleanse probably wouldn't work that well.

So you talking a cleanse & fast, or a lifestyle diet.   Can't agree with the latter, as not a balanced diet IMHO

Your body needs protein & fats.

Most fruitarians will eat nuts and seeds, and fruits like avocados, along with some vegetables. There you have plenty of healthy fats and protein. You don't need to eat protein, just amino acids. The body will produce all the proteins it needs from the 9 essential amino acids.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Most fruitarians will eat nuts and seeds, and fruits like avocados, along with some vegetables. There you have plenty of healthy fats and protein.

I avo contains 3 grams of protein. You'd need to eat a truck load of fruit and vegetables every day to get 100 grams of protein, which is still a low level for seniors.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, BritManToo said:

I lost all appetite 6-12 months back.

I have to force myself to eat 3x a day or I lose weight very quickly.

I frequently forget to eat as I'm never hungry.

Just like me I am never hungry at all I eat some fruit in the morning when I take my medication no lunch at all just a small meal at night (sometimes) but not losing weight at all I guess my enemy is the few reds at night when I watch TV. I can easily go without food for a few days.

Edited by still kicking

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I avo contains 3 grams of protein. You'd need to eat a truck load of fruit and vegetables every day to get 100 grams of protein, which is still a low level for seniors.

There's amino acids in all fruits and nuts. You'll be eating a truck load of fruit, nuts and vegetables on a "fruit" diet. It will be far healthier than most diets if the type of fruit and nuts are balanced. Really the avocados don't contain protein, but the essential amino acids that are used by animals to build protein. You don't need as much protein as you were lead to believe. I've known fruitarians and they were very healthy.

Edited by JensenZ

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

There's amino acids in all fruits and nuts. You'll be eating a truck load of fruit, nuts and vegetables on a "fruit" diet. It will be far healthier than most diets if the type of fruit and nuts are balanced. Really the avocados don't contain protein, but the essential amino acids that are used by animals to build protein. You don't need as much protein as you were lead to believe. I've known fruitarians and they were very healthy.

I'm led to believe and have posted inks in support of the following.

1. Older people need significantly more protein than younger people to avoid sarcopenia.

2. The minimum recommendation is 1 gram per kg of body weight and up to 2 grams for seniors.

For a 70 Kg person like me, that's well over 100 grams of protein per day. There is no possible way to achieve that on a fruits and nuts diet.

I'm in complete agreement with the other nutrients and I do eat a variety of fruits and nuts, including avocados and pumpkin seeds most days. Just not for the protein which is minimal.

Edited by ozimoron

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

NHS say 5 pieces of fruit a day, i have that and more usually, plus veg, slim athletic and bloods good, sugar is the false enemy, junk food is far worse

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

NHS say 5 pieces of fruit a day, i have that and more usually, plus veg, slim athletic and bloods good, sugar is the false enemy, junk food is far worse

No it doesn't. It says 5 pieces of fruit AND vegetables every day.

Not only do you not provide links but you misquote your sources.

Edited by ozimoron

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The food 'pyramid' seems to change with every new study.  Along with every year's new study of some food, that was good, is now bad, or now good, after being bad.

Uncommon common sense would dictate eating a balanced diet, and in moderation of all the stuff they imply is bad.  The obvious, processed, trans fats, excess sugar, excess salt if already having high BP.  Think all agree no alcohol is better than a wee bit, so ease up on that, or simply stop.

Family history, genetics of possible food related issues; diabetes or heart disease, as two easy ones to know about.

You need carbs, simple & complex, protein & fats.  They all compliment each other with the absorption of nutrients they all supply.  Naturally, there are better versions of each.  

If you don't burn off the excess intake of any, then all should know, that will be a problem as you age.

Diets simply don't work, why people gain weight when dieting stopped.  Eating lifestyles work, with some moderate cheating, works for me anyway.

All diets recommend exercise, big surprise, and why most people lose weight, and may not be from the diet.  Lose more weight of course, if exercising a bit of will power with your eating habits.  If wanting to lose weight, simply, burn more than you take in.  Nobody disagrees with that.

Some hints; 

... stop watching fast food commercials

... learn how to cook

... tea spoon of sugar in your coffee isn't going to give you diabetes.  A liter a day of corn syrup soda pop probably will.

... any oil instead of palm oil, and I think all agree, Olive is excellent (we only use olive & peanut)

... good dark chocolate vs that Snickers bar

... roasted veggies instead of tempura

... ease up whole milk & other dairies/cheese (mozzarella & parmesan ????)

They should all be common sense by now.  If you don't do a balance diet, (I lack proper intake of fruits & veggies) take a multivitamin.   Kirkland (tested) has what the label states it does, our preference.

LEARN HOW TO COOK, it's fun, (failures of funny) easy (YT), taste better and healthier, as you control the ingredients.  Don't want sugar in your bread, don't add it, it's not needed to make.

Eating healthy is easy, stop overthinking & complicating it.  Enjoy your treats in moderation.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Amazing how many people struggle with eating fruit and vegetables, especially those keto meat eater lot.

Maybe bigstar pegged it, low carbs finished him off, no link for that 

On 6/17/2023 at 6:15 PM, ozimoron said:

Any excuse to ignore science. That he's boring isn't a consideration for me.

Link to evidence. All your dietary advice is the exact antithesis of expert dietary advice.

I didn't give any dietary advise, I simply informed folks on this thread what my eating regime is.

By way, whenever you read on this forum about posters who indulge heavily in alcohol, which is a very frequent occurrence, do suggest to them that they should 'listen to the science' and change their habits?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Amazing how many people struggle with eating fruit and vegetables, especially those keto meat eater lot.

Maybe bigstar pegged it, low carbs finished him off, no link for that 

I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. My comments were in relation to a fruitarian diet.

59 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I didn't give any dietary advise, I simply informed folks on this thread what my eating regime is.

By way, whenever you read on this forum about posters who indulge heavily in alcohol, which is a very frequent occurrence, do suggest to them that they should 'listen to the science' and change their habits?

I never suggest to others what to eat. I only post what I believe is a good (or bad diet) and why with links to support my claims. I also drink a little but not much and not frequently.

17 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Good post and about sums it up. I believe its a better diet than SAD That promotes obesity which leads to a whole lot of issues. Hard to find a fat fruitarian 

On 6/17/2023 at 8:00 AM, scubascuba3 said:

People are overweight because of poor knowledge and poor self discipline, but people do eat out of habit and for entertainment 

I would suppose metabolism plays a part. My digestive system in very slow.

I eat breakfast then between around 14:00 - 16:00. I fear the sipping of red wine in the evening and a sedentary retirement may may have something to do with the weight. Retired at 66k, now close to 80k. Exercised 3 times a week before covid, now naught. have been looking for exercise room with pool available but have not come across a place at the price I can afford here in C.M..