Man falls 4,000 feet to his death from Grand Canyon Skywalk

Social Media

A man fell to his death from a 4,000-feet-high popular tourist spot in the Grand Canyon Skywalk, officials in Arizona said.

The unidentified 33-year-old male was seen on the Skywalk at the Grand Canyon West before he was caught going over the edge and plummeting into the canyon below on 5 June around 9am, officials from the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue said in a Facebook Post.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s a fall lasting around 1 minute 15 seconds.

Long enough to ponder the impact.

You sure? Perhaps the body recognizes what is about to occur and goes into immediate shut-down mode.

22 minutes ago, Tug said:

Was he a jumper or just some random idiotselfie seeker?anyway a definite Darwin Award winner!and yup plenty of time to contemplate the sudden stop at the end!

Isn't the Darwin award for stupid people? 

Comments like this about what is most like;y a mentally ill person it way out of order. 

Anyone can become mentally sick, even you.

• Like 1

I wonder if he was participating in "the last picture show", where someone does something spectacularly idiotic, to get a selfie? Alot of that happening these days. After all, people must know you were there, and why just take a photo of a gorgeous nature scene, unless you are in it?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, dingdongrb said:
17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You sure? Perhaps the body recognizes what is about to occur and goes into immediate shut-down mode.

I'm not so sure.... its a 90 second free fall from 18,000 feet to chute deployment altitude, which is approximately 5000 ft....   So thats about 90 seconds for 13,000 ft of free fall. 

.... So roughly 27 seconds of 'ponderane' as it has been described...  I very much doubt the 'body goes into 'shut down' mode in anticipation of imminent death, however, some people may pass out due to a fear response (as shown on some video rides etc).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I wonder if he was participating in "the last picture show", where someone does something spectacularly idiotic, to get a selfie? Alot of that happening these days. After all, people must know you were there, and why just take a photo of a gorgeous nature scene, unless you are in it?

I agree. Nothing more frustrating than a beautiful picture of some natural scene, with some idiot's big fat head taking up the bottom half with a stupid grin on his face.  

Exceptions made for elegant bikini shots with ladies (in full figure) stretched out somewhere in the shot....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I've seen a documentary once about people who jumped of things trying to commit suicide who survived. Everyone of them absolutely wanted to die beforehand and the split second they jumped off, they've changed their mind. What a horror trip that must be! 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure.... its a 90 second free fall from 18,000 feet to chute deployment altitude, which is approximately 5000 ft....   So thats about 90 seconds for 13,000 ft of free fall. 

.... So roughly 27 seconds of 'ponderane' as it has been described...  I very much doubt the 'body goes into 'shut down' mode in anticipation of imminent death, however, some people may pass out due to a fear response (as shown on some video rides etc).

I think I used the wrong choice of words and you were more correct with saying 'pass out'. That is more of what I was thinking, pass out as not having any awareness as to when the impact was to occur.

I know that the body just wouldn't completely shutdown and lose all signs of life. Wrong choice of words on my part.

Like most cut'n'paste articles in this forum, this is incorrect.  

Height above sea level = 4,770 ft, but the viewing platform is only ~1,160 ft (350 m) to the river below, and a vertical drop or direct fall is ~500 to 800 ft (150 50 240 m). 

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Skywalk#:~:text=It opened as a tourist,the Grand Canyon National Park.&text=USGS topographic maps indicate the,1%2C160 ft (350 m).

On 6/19/2023 at 3:35 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s a fall lasting around 1 minute 15 seconds

ONly if he was falling from the Moon with one-sixth of Earths gravity. s=1/2at[squared]  distance is 1200 metres, acceleration is 10 m/s/s so approx sixteen seconds. Still time to have second thoughts there.

• Like 1