China attacks Biden over his 'absurd and irresponsible' portrayal of Xi Jinping

Social Media

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Quite so, what Biden said might well be true, but its not Diplomatic, doesn't Biden understand Euphemisms?

Everyone knows the Chinese are difficult to deal with. But you don't abuse them then expect to deal with them. A novice error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Everyone knows the Chinese are difficult to deal with. But you don't abuse them then expect to deal with them. A novice error.

That ship had sailed, that's the point. Was Blinken not meant to raise the question of the balloons or aid to Russia or something? In your rush to dump on Biden you'd have America kowtow to Xi.

There's a time for soft diplomacy and a time for hard diplomacy. The Chips Act was an example of hard diplomacy and Xi is peeved about that. It was a fantastic example fo doing the right thing and protecting America's interests, markedly in contrast to boosting inflation by putting a tariff on Chinese goods.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Social Media said:

Mao Ning, a spokesperson for the foreign ministry, stated that President Biden's remarks "go totally against facts, seriously violate diplomatic protocol, and severely infringe on China's political dignity

, however, I have to admit, he has a point..."

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

Biden had to make this statement, because the Blinken visit to China was such a disaster. Blinken was humiliated and the US made to look like a beggar searching for scraps. The reaction, especially in the region, was to reduce American influence. So this is Biden trying to regain some degree of leverage. In that regard, I think he did the right thing, although I think the craven attitude towards China over the past few months has done permanent damage that cannot be repaired until the US steps up and draws a line in the sand.

You sure about that?

I think this article from the Wall Street Journal shows how much Xi had to swallow his pride in the wake of strong American actions against Chinese expansionism:

China Accepts the New Indo-Pacific Reality

"While Mr. Xi’s decision to re-engage with the U.S. doesn’t mean he is abandoning his long-term goal of reasserting Chinese primacy in the region and beyond, it is significant. Mr. Blinken hasn’t backed away from such Biden administration policies as imposing controls over tech exports and outbound investment or strengthening defense ties with countries in China’s front yard. Mr. Xi’s meeting with Mr. Blinken indicates that the Communist Party is reluctantly accepting the new status quo rather than freezing relations and confronting the U.S. at every turn to force the Biden administration to change course.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-accepts-the-new-indo-pacific-reality-blinken-xi-jinping-defense-spending-a9a9065d?mod=Searchresults_pos2&page=1

bypass pay wall: https://archive.ph/2yyC7

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think I can say without fear of contradiction all other democratic nations would take Biden over Trump every time, stumbles notwithstanding.

I prefer not to have either one as president.  I'll take Biden again though, as got the largest COLAs and better exchange rate with him mumbling along.

He is embarrassing though ... but he's not my family, so don't care.  The USA is embarrassing, so any leader of the past, during my lifetime has been the perfect representative of the rest of the govt.  Feel sorry for the Yanks still living there.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Blinken was rebuffed by Xi and this is payback. Great to see a president with the guts and the courage of his convictions stand up for his country for a change.

Not sure what rag you read that on, but the fact that Pres. Xi even met with Blinken is progress.

Seems to be open, or was ... now may be a question mark ????

CNN reporting (China news), reads positive to me:

“The world needs an overall stable Sino-US relationship, and whether China and the United States can get along has a bearing on the future and destiny of mankind,” Xi told Blinken, according to a Chinese readout of the meeting.

China respects the interests of the United States and will not challenge or replace the United States. Similarly, the United States must also respect China and not harm China’s legitimate rights and interests,” Xi added. The readout said that Xi told Blinken that the world needs stable China-US relations and that the future of humanity hinges on both getting along."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/18/china/blinken-china-visit-wang-yi-meeting-intl-hnk/index.html

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure what rag you read that on, but the fact that Pres. Xi even met with Blinken is progress.

Seems to be open, or was ... now may be a question mark ????

CNN reporting (China news), reads positive to me:

“The world needs an overall stable Sino-US relationship, and whether China and the United States can get along has a bearing on the future and destiny of mankind,” Xi told Blinken, according to a Chinese readout of the meeting.

China respects the interests of the United States and will not challenge or replace the United States. Similarly, the United States must also respect China and not harm China’s legitimate rights and interests,” Xi added. The readout said that Xi told Blinken that the world needs stable China-US relations and that the future of humanity hinges on both getting along."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/18/china/blinken-china-visit-wang-yi-meeting-intl-hnk/index.html

The statement from Xi should be taken with more than one grain of salt.

"and not harm China's legitimate rights and interests".

Xi and the CCP consider they have a legitimate right to Taiwan.

If China is not seeking to challenge or replace the United States, why is it building the world's biggest navy?

Answer: The US could choke Chinese imports by closing the Malacca Strait. Without said imports, China starves.

Taking Xi's words at face value would be the same mistake Neville Chamberlain made.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

There's plenty of countries willing to trade with the USA too. Eat any lobster tail on the West Coast of America, the odds are pretty good it came from Tasmania.

What rail and sky system? AFAIK, commodities such as oil, coal and grain do not fly. Where's the rail connecting China to India or the Middle East?

Plenty of Trump apologists on various threads, first time I have seen a China apologist.

Obviously you despise America, and don't live there. I am wondering if you would be any more comfortable living under Xi's rule.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Plenty of Trump apologists on various threads, first time I have seen a China apologist.

Obviously you despise America, and don't live there. I am wondering if you would be any more comfortable living under Xi's rule.

Not a CH apologist, just don't see them as the evil force of the world, they're portrayed as in western news.  How many wars they started the last 60 year or invaded & occupied countries this century.  

Nothing against the USA, people of, but yea, have issue with the govt.

Not big on CH food, and they do have a pollution problem.  Don't think they have a retirement visa for yanks, though mute subject due to food & pollution.  Out of metro area, and cost of living would be one of the cheapest.  Considering most things I have are imported from or made in CH.  Bought at silly price out of CH.

I don't own anything from the Americas, UK or EU worth mentioning.  My razor (Remington) is about all I can think of. Not even sure where that's made.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

how anyone can defend this comic President is amusing, will you be voting for him again? worth it just for the laughs

How can anyone defend a serial liar for a president is way beyond my comprehension. He is still whining about the election being stolen, and seems to be incapable of telling the truth about anything.

As an expat Brit I don't have a vote in the UK any more.

I don't have a vote in the USA, but if I did I would vote for anyone, with the exception of a member of the GOP.

Even Blind Freddies dog could have a done a better job than EX president Trump.

However as this is a discussion forum I can comment as I wish.

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Then why are you blaming it on Biden's 3 year administration?

As for good representatives of the USA, Biden shored up the damage that his predecessor inflicted on the UN and stood beside Ukraine as opposed to his treasonous predecessor. Biden will have a legacy of being one of the most effective presidents the US has ever had. His predecessor was a laughing stock on the world stage and will be the only modern president not to have a library..

But his predecessor might have a prison named after him?

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Was he correct? Is Xi not a dictator?

you misunderstood me, I was taken liberty with the spokesperson's statement making it sound as if he continued speaking with my addition.

(ok, it's a bit convoluted...)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Corn Pop was a tough dude. Tell me more grampa. He really showed the leader of China who's boss. Hope he was wearing his aviators when he said it, always helps to increase his toughness. That's a joke son.

Best without the aviators. Joe is weally weally scary when he squints those eyes.

Assuming he doesn’t fall over of course.

The idea that this was some kind of tough guy move is indeed laughable. It was simply another slip of the tongue. A lapse of memory. A senior moment. It’s just bad luck for the US that his mistakes are so costly. It’s sad to see them go out like this. They down bad.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Why stop at 60 years? There is also Korea and Tibet. And Xinjiang is much more of a conquest than a Chinese territory. The Qin conquered it in the 18th century. That's a century later than when the East India Company under Royal Patronage became a proxy for British expansion and conquest in India in the 17th century. Yet nobody thinks Britain still retains the rights to India. Uighurs are a subject and conquered people who should have the right to self determination. 

Just in my life time, prior to that, pick one, I don't care, or can't believe history anymore, if current events in my life time are quite the stretch of the truth.

Those thoughts I've expressed numerous times, and would be will off topic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

They have invaded and occupied island in the South China Sea. In fact, they pretty much claim that the South China Sea belongs to them and have antagonized, Vietnam, The Philippines, Indonesia, Japan, and Malaysia with their claims. They launched an attack on Indian territory not too long ago.

And why did you rule out invasions from the previous century? Was that to avoid the issue of Tibet?

answered above

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just in my life time, prior to that, pick one, I don't care, or can't believe history anymore, if current events in my life time are quite the stretch of the truth.

Those thoughts I've expressed numerous times, and would be will off topic.

In your world, WW2 may not have happened. Interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

How can anyone defend a serial liar for a president is way beyond my comprehension.

That is pretty much the every day Democrat responses to Biden critics - well, the alternative is even worse - hardly a glowing recommendation of the president when you cannot defend him but go on the offence of the opposition.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In your world, WW2 may not have happened. Interesting.

You should have said moon landing .. I'm 50/50 on that.  I'm waiting for some other countries photos of the junk that was supposedly left up their by the USA.

My life time to repeat, 2 big ones, millions killed or displaced:

... WMD

... Gulf of Tonkin

Neither from CH nor RU.

On topic .. as always ????

Now will there be another involving CH or RU, and who to believe if and when.  MSM is tough to swallow any more .. IMHO

Too few people control it, and too much money involved.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

That is pretty much the every day Democrat responses to Biden critics - well, the alternative is even worse - hardly a glowing recommendation of the president when you cannot defend him but go on the offence of the opposition.

You paraphrased, "How can anyone defend a serial liar for a president is way beyond my comprehension."

I had to back up to see what president he was referring to, as immediately, I thought it could be any of them.

Lets start w/LBJ

'I will not send more American soldiers to Vietnam'

'I am not a crook'

'Pardon me'

'Iran/Contra - I don't recall' - that actually might be true

'Read my lips, no new taxes'

'I did not have sexual relations with that woman'

'WMD'

'Like your Dr, you can keep your Dr'

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

But once again it is true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1