Whose responsibility is the power cable between meter room and condo in a large condo building?

AsiaCheese

The meter in the common meter room on the floor is working (PEA says), there is power on the breaker next to it (the building tech says), but no power from the mains cable at the fuse box. The management office ladies say "your problem" - isn't the cable (some 80 meters in the roof of the corridor) part of the common area?

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would agree ^^^, it's common area, condo issue!

Is there another breaker/fuse in the line, possibly in a utilities room on your floor?

No breaker in between; it's around 80 meters of uninterrupted cable from the common electric meter/main breaker room to where it first reappears at the in-condo breaker box.

I can't see anything common about the cable. If it's a cable only going to your room, (nobody else is using it.) which it should be then it's your cable and your responsibility after the meter. Just because it's location is in common area doesn't automatically make it common to all rooms. Same with water pipes. After meter , it's all user/owner pays. You could argue that common area walls have moved and that caused the damage to the cable, but that's a stretch and not likely to be proven.  Btw old breakers in my room where not opening at higher currents. While you are at it replace all xx year old breakers. I installed safety breakers too in room.

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Confused 2

The use of the word common is hard to twist. A cable that only one person uses or one room uses is not common. There however is the ability for by laws in your condo rules and regulations. Unless there is something over riding the common definition specifically for electrical cables running along the hallway then your only chance is a compassionate manager. As it is in most places, what happens and is decided on one day and with who can vary dramatically.

Probably be nice and ask for a compromise. Pay half each maybe would be a good outcome for a home owner.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Leaving aside the common/owned part for now, you obviously want to get your juice back on ASAP.

I would ask the condo juristic if they have a recommended sparks who can come and investigate the issue and provide a quote to fix it.

Based on said quote you can decide if it's a "just get it fixed" job or a "let's talk about this issue" job.

Cables don't often just fail; it could have been damaged by other works (that contractor is responsible) or badly installed in the first place.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Leaving aside the common/owned part for now, you obviously want to get your juice back on ASAP.

I would ask the condo juristic if they have a recommended sparks who can come and investigate the issue and provide a quote to fix it.

Based on said quote you can decide if it's a "just get it fixed" job or a "let's talk about this issue" job.

Cables don't often just fail; it could have been damaged by other works (that contractor is responsible) or badly installed in the first place.

Good advice. Best to know the exact fault completely. Could be a silly situation whereby a dirty contact on a breaker or reading the wrong breaker number  trolled the previous electrician. Or a miriad of other things. We are all not perfect. Be with the chap who investigates and make sure nobody is using guess work to diagnose and confirms results.

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We had to replace the water mains in our condo, it is agreed that the main pipes to the meter comes out of the common fund, (the meter was the condo's not the water company) and anything behind the meter to the room belongs to each room's owner, as long as the work is being done any owner that wanted to can replace their pipes when the work is being done, any that didn't agree can keep their old pipe run but if they wanted to replace it a later date, they'd have to pay for the removal and fixing back of the ceiling at their own cost

granted, the run was only from each floor,

I don't see why if only 1 guy' power cable need replacing and the whole condo should be responsible for it