How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

10 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

two wrongs dont make a right, do they?

discrimination is discrimination and can happen to anyone regardless of the color of their skin! 

Nowhere in what you wrote shows any discrimination so you may want to review your thoughts.

It seems more like your focused on negative actions to the point that anything that happens you automatically associate it to discrimnation against you.

Focus on your own actions and don't worry about what others do as they may be reacting for different reasons than your imagining. 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

this is NOT a thai bashing thread, so please dont treat it as such. I am looking for advice on how to deal with these feelings

You are the problem and keep looking for it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, proton said:

No chip at all, just not a starry eyed Thaicentric worshiper. I mentioned a few examples from years ago, I did not claim the were everyday events. If you have lived here years and claim you have never been treated differently due to race, or never been cheated you have not been paying attention.

sometimes the truth hurts and people just cant seem to accept that this kind of thing goes on in the country they reside. 

Edited by bogs smith
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

There you go, the racist white (not deserved) superiority kicks in. 

are they above us in the world pecking order??

arent thais constantly sizing people up in terms of age, rank, social status etc??

i thought that was a (rather ugly) facet of thai culture?

Edited by bogs smith
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

A lot of the problems for Thais with westerners began during the Vietnam war when Americans here would try to pick up women wherever they went. There was an assumption that Thais would do anything for money. Of course, Thais resented this. 

My wife was in Krabi many years ago and an old American man accompanied by his old Thai origin wife were getting out of a tourist boat. There were two local fishermen watching the 80 year olds clamber out and she overheard them say, "Look at her she's so old but can still sell herself." 

After that my wife won't hold hands in Thailand except to cross the street because she feels people will stare at her thinking she's on the game. 

Another point would be the size of westerners. Scrunching up next to a large westerner on a bus can feel uncomfortable.

As others have said, smiling at people is one way of making them feel better.

Moving seats or tables away from you is perhaps their way of giving you space. Personal space for friends and relatives is very small but for strangers it is further away.

Lastly, make an attempt to learn basic Thai is helpful. Then when someone gives you space you can smile and say "thanks"  or "no need to move." Again, it depends on how big you are. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

are they above us in the world pecking order??

arent thais constantly sizing people up in terms of age, rank, status etc??

i thought that was a (rather ugly) facet of thai culture?

Who is us? Americans? They just had a black president. Pretty much second in everything is China. These who show most rich often as tourists are Arabs, but also there are well off Japanese.

I don't feel like I belong to the ruler race of the planet....or if I do they cheated me...as it needed 2 generation to work ourself out of being complete poor to something like middle class only.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bogs smith said:

so personal appearance takes precedance over basic human decency? 

are people really that shallow here??

yes if someone looks very weird I also move away before I get in troubles. Not because someone wears a short trouser in a restaurant, but if it is extreme.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I've never care one way or the other.

If people that left school at age 12, can't earn 10kbht/month, are bossed around and slapped by their 'higher classes' and kneel to dodgy monks every day want to think themselves in some way superior to me, let them!

good point.

• Thanks 1

I understand your feelings but I have just learned to ignore it over the past eight years. I expect to be relocating to Cambodia as soon as my Thai GF dumps me.  It’s coming, because the entire Thai culture is looking for a better deal.  This is not the place to live if you are looking for sincerity and true love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I understand your feelings but I have just learned to ignore it over the past eight years. I expect to be relocating to Cambodia as soon as my Thai GF dumps me.  It’s coming, because the entire Thai culture is looking for a better deal.  This is not the place to live if you are looking for sincerity and true love.

how i wish i was in your shoes, sir. 

best of luck to you. cambodia sounds great to me. the camobians i have met in thailand have all been really genuine and down to earth. 

hope it all works out for you there 

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

i dont know how this kind of thing affects you but it actually hurts me. then the hurt quickly turns to anger and I have a strong urge to reprimand the culprit, but i never do. 

Yes, you do have a problem with the locals. Note I said that YOU have a problem and NOT the locals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

First . I am 66 years old and I did not want to spend what little life I have left reading  this long op dietribe .

So from what little I have read i would say.

It's not that you think that Thais are so bad, but that you  think that you are sooo much better. Simply an attempt to, than rather invest in making yourself better, trying to make everyone else seem worst. 

This attitude manifests in subtle ways in everything you say and do , and regardless what you think  Thais are not stupid. . They can sense your attitude, and behave accordingly.

People don't like people that dont like them. That is true for them, is true for you and it's true for me. 

Change you attitude, and change your perspective ,Climb a hill and you will see the forest from the trees. 

Chock dee

You listening @proton?

35 minutes ago, Purdey said:

A lot of the problems for Thais with westerners began during the Vietnam war when Americans here would try to pick up women wherever they went. There was an assumption that Thais would do anything for money. Of course, Thais resented this. 

My wife was in Krabi many years ago and an old American man accompanied by his old Thai origin wife were getting out of a tourist boat. There were two local fishermen watching the 80 year olds clamber out and she overheard them say, "Look at her she's so old but can still sell herself." 

After that my wife won't hold hands in Thailand except to cross the street because she feels people will stare at her thinking she's on the game. 

Another point would be the size of westerners. Scrunching up next to a large westerner on a bus can feel uncomfortable.

As others have said, smiling at people is one way of making them feel better.

Moving seats or tables away from you is perhaps their way of giving you space. Personal space for friends and relatives is very small but for strangers it is further away.

Lastly, make an attempt to learn basic Thai is helpful. Then when someone gives you space you can smile and say "thanks"  or "no need to move." Again, it depends on how big you are. 

Your wife wont hold your hand in public because people might think she's on the game, maybe it's more that you look like a sex tourist, do you walk around in those cargo shorts and singlets? ????

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You listening @proton?

You read on here, not listen and there are always the in denial Thai excusers here who pretend there is nothing bad with the society or behaviour, yet you only have to drive down the road to see that's not the case. Probably some will post, well iv'e been here 35 years and never seen any accident or bad driving, Thais are some of the best drivers in the world, it must be you!

• Like 1