Barriers to transgender people accessing Thailand’s healthcare system

webfact

38 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

But you know the meaning of CD, DVD. SIM Card, SD-card, computer, streaming, Zoom, Skype and a host of other words that did not exist at the time. Selective ignorance cannot be used to justify bigotry.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, I was referring to, say, questionnaires or official forms. I wouldn't feel like ticking a 'cisgender' box.

I actually had to Google it, for this thread, as I had forgotten what it meant.  Which I also did, quite some time before, reading a news-blip, and had to google to find out what it meant.  In between, since don't use or see often, forgot it's meaning.  Might stick this time, or not.

On 6/26/2023 at 7:04 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Never heard that term before. Anyhow, as a foreigner in Thailand I have it much worse, so, discrimination of Thais by other Thais... (Don't) tell me about it!

Cisgender is probably wokery for something that doesn't actually exist, or an everyday thing that can be described using common English. 

You're right that discrimination exists everywhere though, and that it's an unfortunate fact of life. Woke people who obsess about injustice all day will be telling us that driving licences should be issued to blind people next.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

95% of the time you can see a gay person

Really....I never know that.....but I never think about with who people may have sex...I am not much interested in other peoples life.

30 minutes ago, h90 said:

Really....I never know that.....but I never think about with who people may have sex...I am not much interested in other peoples life.

All the gay people I know don't go on and on about their sexual preferences either. They're all perfectly normal, hardworking, decent people, who I can enjoy a beer and a laugh with.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

All the gay people I know don't go on and on about their sexual preferences either. They're all perfectly normal, hardworking, decent people, who I can enjoy a beer and a laugh with.

Than why should they be so easily recognizable (as bignok writes)?

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cisgender refers to both males and females.

Apples and oranges.

Is it that hard to learn the actual definition of cisgender?

You might want to publish a phrase book, so that ordinary people can communicate with you without accidentally offending you. 

Edited by sidneybear

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As I explained before normal is not a precise word.

From the OED!

normal 
n    adjective 
1    conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. 
2    technical intersecting a given line or surface at right angles. 
3    Medicine containing the same salt concentration as the blood. ØChemistry, dated (of a solution) containing one gram-equivalent of solute per litre. 
4    Geology denoting a fault in which a relative downward movement occurred in the strata on the upper side of the fault plane. 
n    noun 
1    the normal state or condition: her temperature was above normal. 
2    technical a line at right angles to a given line or surface. 

ORIGIN
    C17: from Latin normalis, from norma (see norm).

PS;  The word "word" has 7 definitions in the same dictionary!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

From the OED!

normal 
n    adjective 
1    conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. 
2    technical intersecting a given line or surface at right angles. 
3    Medicine containing the same salt concentration as the blood. ØChemistry, dated (of a solution) containing one gram-equivalent of solute per litre. 
4    Geology denoting a fault in which a relative downward movement occurred in the strata on the upper side of the fault plane. 
n    noun 
1    the normal state or condition: her temperature was above normal. 
2    technical a line at right angles to a given line or surface. 

ORIGIN
    C17: from Latin normalis, from norma (see norm).

Let's all act normal, and see if we can catch each other out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

You might want to publish a phrase book, so that ordinary people can communicate with you without accidentally offending you. 

I have already answered this above but on second thoughts;

It is impossible to publish such a book as they get offended so often by words and letters, and invent new ones so often that any such book would be out of date before it could get posted on the internet, never mind printed in hardback!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I have already answered this above but on second thoughts;

It is impossible to publish such a book as they get offended so often by words and letters, and invent new ones so often that any such book would be out of date before it could get posted on the internet, never mind printed in hardback!

Very true. These people constantly redefine and invent words and phrases to disorient and denounce their opponents. 

Insist on using plain English, and laugh at them. Their worldview is founded on falsehoods. 

Edited by sidneybear

3 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Insist on using plain English, and laugh at them.

I am and will continue to do so!

I am not "Gay" bashing or whatever the term is now but bashing there tautology!

PS;  that will wind them up in more ways than one!

Edited by scottiejohn

Why should the Thai healthcare system accommodate young children whose parents want them to have the genitals mutilated?  If a family wants to go that route?  Then pay a private hospital. 

14 minutes ago, proton said:

So heterosexuals are not allowed to decide what they find offensive now, according to you, only the alphabet people. I find cisgender highly offensive and would never use or accept it as a description.

You can choose to be offended by any word you like but that doesn't make that word a slur. Cisgender is not a slur.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, connda said:

Why should the Thai healthcare system accommodate young children whose parents want them to have the genitals mutilated?  If a family wants to go that route?  Then pay a private hospital. 

No send the parents to a psychiatrist first!

5 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Very true. These people constantly redefine and invent words and phrases to disorient and denounce their opponents. 

Insist on using plain English, and laugh at them. Their worldview is founded on falsehoods. 

These people.