COVID infections falling steadily, fewer fatalities over past month

webfact

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

maybe it will but it will not stop either which was the original claim i was disputing

There are many meanings for "stop" which don't all involve a complete halt. That's just another covid denier talking point

transitive verb

1 a: to close by filling or obstructing

b: to hinder or prevent the passage of

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, huangnon said:

How many boosters have you had now.?

As many as they'll give me.

Anti-vaxxers seem to all believe that a) the vaccine is dangerous, b) that it doesn't work, and c) that masks don't work.

Those are three separate issues, and each requires a separate conspiracy.

If the vaccines don't work, and they're dangerous, that means that they believe that:

- We are not capable of producing an effective vaccine

- Even without the requirement of effectiveness we can't make it safe

Insert appropriate amount of eye-rolling here.

If all your beliefs depend on conspiracy theories then you're doing it wrong.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

from your 1st link..... Here’s what we know about the current variants circulating globally at the current time.

I am looking for more than just the current variants circulating at present 

this bit is not exactly helpful either,,,

" plus many others which have not yet been characterised".

many others  lol clear as mud

from your second link ,,,, Below is a list of—and information about—some of the variants that have been top-of-mind. 

I'm not interested in "some" I am interested in the total number

So despite what you say neither of these effectively useless links links gives a simple answer to my simple question. Th leads me to the conclusion that nobody, including you, has the faintest idea how many variants/ mutations actually exist

That, so it would seem  is the reason I cannot get a simple answer to a simple question 

All these so called experts and nobody knows, a very sad state of affairs in my very humble opinion

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There are many meanings for "stop" which don't all involve a complete halt. That's just another covid denier talking point

transitive verb

1 a: to close by filling or obstructing

b: to hinder or prevent the passage of

I would not know very much about "covid denier talking points" as I am not a covid denier, how could I be , I have had it several times , despite being vaccinated so stop with the smarmy comments

the poster i was replying to was claiming that covid would stop as in "cease to exist" if everybody was vaccinated. It clearly will not.

Whether you choose to believe him or me  is neither here nor there, and petty grammar policing comments like the one you have made are of no consequence whatsoever

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I would not know very much about "covid denier talking points" as I am not a covid denier, how could I be , I have had it several times , despite being vaccinated so stop with the smarmy comments

the poster i was replying to was claiming that covid would stop as in "cease to exist" if everybody was vaccinated. It clearly will not.

Whether you choose to believe him or me  is neither here nor there, and petty grammar policing comments like the one you have made are of no consequence whatsoever

No, the person you quoted was clearly using the meaning in b above.

If 1 person in a thousand still got covid and 999 didn't, you'd still claim it didn't stop the infection.

Edited by ozimoron

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, the person you quoted was clearly using the meaning in b above.

If 1 person in a thousand still got covid and 999 didn't, you'd still claim it didn't stop the infection.

what a ridiculous statement did you even read what he posted .....

"The way that it works is, if enough people are immunized, a disease effectively disappears. You know, like polio and smallpox."

and 

"If enough people were to get annual boosters, Covid would effectively disappear."

clearly if even "only" 1 in 1000 caught covid the disease has not effectively disappeared and even a "covid denier" would understand that in a population of 1 million that would equate to 1000 people infected many of whom may be asymptomatic and each of them would have the potential to infect many others.

Looks to me like you are  some sort of  covid denier 

41 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

If all your beliefs depend on conspiracy theories then you're doing it wrong.

If all your beliefs are based on what governments tell you then you are somewhat naive.

Did you try to combat covid simply by washing your hands as they recommended in the early days?

Were you wearing your mask when travelling alone in your car lol

Did you take off your bathroom door to make a shelter in the case of a nuclear attack? Like they were suggesting back in the late seventies / early eighties ? 

Did your wife take thalidomide for morning sickness as they suggested in the early sixties

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

what a ridiculous statement did you even read what he posted .....

"The way that it works is, if enough people are immunized, a disease effectively disappears. You know, like polio and smallpox."

and 

"If enough people were to get annual boosters, Covid would effectively disappear."

clearly if even "only" 1 in 1000 caught covid the disease has not effectively disappeared and even a "covid denier" would understand that in a population of 1 million that would equate to 1000 people infected many of whom may be asymptomatic and each of them would have the potential to infect many others.

Looks to me like you are  some sort of  covid denier 

Yep. Good and effective vaccines work. Flu continues on though, common cold no vaccine and covid will coninue to be around. It's a different virus to things like polio. 

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Quite right. How can a virus "cease to exist" if the vaccine doesn't stop transmission. It's a very easy concept to understand unfortunately so many don't. Pita. Seven jabs and gets covid and can transmit it. Very, very efficient virus and the vaccines can't stop it spreading. Doesn't matter if the entire population of the world is vaccinated if you can still catch it and transmirt it after being vaccinated the virus will survive. 

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Actually Alpha was more deadly than original strain, then Delta brought it up another notch so that's two.

Yep. And then Delta came in and kicked the lot out. Virul evolution in work. We were lucky. It could have gone the other way. Now for most people it's (Omicron and it's variants/sub-variants) a mild infection. Still can't believe people are wearing masks.

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So you know how many would have died if not for vaccines and masks? Are you suggesting they made little or no difference?

You are speaking in the past tense and yes I think vaccines played a part. Masks and lockdowns are a different conversation.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The global look at COVID things in the most recent update from the WHO:

"Globally, over 1.2 million new cases and over 7100 deaths were reported in the last 28 days (22 May to 18 June 2023)."

"Reported cases are not an accurate representation of infection rates due to the reductions in testing and reporting globally."

"The highest numbers of new 28-day deaths were reported from Brazil (978 new deaths; -19%), Spain (729 new deaths; +70%), the Russian Federation (577 new deaths; -13%), Australia (496 new deaths; -6%), and Italy (420 new deaths; -36%)"

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---22-june-2023

and dying with or from is another thing. People die all the time with a cold but it's not the cold that killed them. Might have been enough to push them over the edge though. , Covid's there's now. Omicron now not Delta. Two different beasts. It's now an endemic virus. Again I will say if you think getting jabbed continuously and wearing mask is a good thing go right ahead and do this for the rest of your life. This virus is here to stay.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

and dying with or from is another thing. People die all the time with a cold but it's not the cold that killed them. Might have been enough to push them over the edge though. , Covid's there's now. Omicron now not Delta. Two different beasts. It's now an endemic virus. Again I will say if you think getting jabbed continuously and wearing mask is a good thing go right ahead and do this for the rest of your life. This virus is here to stay.

If you are vaccinated with annual boosters, you are less likely to get infected and pass on the infection to others.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Quite right. How can a virus "cease to exist" if the vaccine doesn't stop transmission. It's a very easy concept to understand unfortunately so many don't. Pita. Seven jabs and gets covid and can transmit it. Very, very efficient virus and the vaccines can't stop it spreading. Doesn't matter if the entire population of the world is vaccinated if you can still catch it and transmirt it after being vaccinated the virus will survive. 

Once again, the more people are vaccinated, the fewer are infected, and therefore the virus evolves more slowly.

The anti-vaxxers are in denial that they are keeping the virus alive.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I have no idea about the political beliefs of recently deceased Thais.

I would suspect that they would vaccinate, if given another chance.

the article says that most of the deaths were from unvaccinated. which the vast majority are quite old. 

so according to many here they are anti vaxxers. 

strange. 

1 minute ago, stoner said:

the article says that most of the deaths were from unvaccinated. which the vast majority are quite old. 

so according to many here they are anti vaxxers. 

strange. 

I don't know how you come to that conclusion that they were anti-vaxers.  I just expect many slipped through the cracks, or never really knew or understood what it was all about. In the early vax days, Thais were not getting the vax in great numbers.. I was of the opinion there was more focus on foreigners. Thailand also made a right mess of procuring them... hanging in for their own production to cover them... which got mired in bureaucracy (shall we call it). My wife's family made efforts to get their old mother done.. had they not it would not have happened. But to label them anti-vaxers, is senseless.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know how you come to that conclusion that they were anti-vaxers.  I just expect many slipped through the cracks, or never really knew or understood what it was all about. In the early vax days, Thais were not getting the vax in great numbers.. I was of the opinion there was more focus on foreigners. Thailand also made a right mess of procuring them... hanging in for their own production to cover them... which got mired in bureaucracy (shall we call it). My wife's family made efforts to get their old mother done.. had they not it would not have happened. But to label them anti-vaxers, is senseless.  

yet they are at times still labeled anti vaxxers. the sentiment is usually anyone who didnt obey is anti.

why are you talking about the early days and thai not getting vaxxed ? this is 3 yers on now.

saying they don't understand now is ingenious. before if they didn't understand ok i agree with you. but now ?  years of info out all over the world to humanity. 

1 minute ago, stoner said:

why are you talking about the early days and thai not getting vaxxed ? this is 3 yers on now.

Because if they did not get done when the initiative and momentum and incentive was there, some years ago, I do not expect them to pursue it in recent times. Even I gave up on the idea after 2 and a booster.

Just now, stoner said:

so wait youre an anti vaxxer now ...because you don't have 35 boosters ? 

I don't believe I am having 3 vaccinations in my past.....I firmly believe the vaxes served a purpose, brought about benefit, saved a lot of lives etc....I regard anti-vaxers as the nuts who believe it's a government plot to dominate the world!  But the situation with Covid today differs... I might be persuaded to have a Covid jab with the same thoughts as having an annual flu jab.

• Like 2