List of witnesses against Trump cannot be secret in documents case, judge rules

Social Media

image.png

US district court judge Aileen Cannon also scheduled a hearing to start the discovery process for classified documents

The federal judge presiding over the criminal prosecution of Donald Trump in the classified documents case ruled against the government in her first pre-trial order on Monday, denying a request from federal prosecutors to file a list of potential witnesses against the former US president under seal.

“The government’s motion does not explain why filing the list with the court is necessary; it does not offer a particularized basis to justify sealing the list from public view,” the US district court judge Aileen Cannon wrote.

The ruling from Cannon means that the list of 84 witnesses who may testify against Trump at trial would be made available publicly and offer clues about the case prosecutors are bringing, unless the government files a new motion with a detailed rationale for submitting it under seal.

FULL STORY

image.png

42 minutes ago, Tug said:

Perhaps to protect the witnesses and their families from the trump extremests 

Well the judge obviously didn't think there was any risk from "trump extremests" as you so eloquently describe them.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

That's logical. Why would anybody think those witnesses would recieve death threats? Oh, wait...

I'm sure the judge had all the relevant information at her disposal when she reached her conclusion.

No need for hyperbole here.

Just now, JonnyF said:

I'm sure the judge had all the relevant information at her disposal when she reached her conclusion.

No need for hyperbole here.

Hyperbole? Do I need to prove that witnesses against Trump have been threatened? She had the relevant information when she was trashed by an appeal court in her last Trump case, how did that work out?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Hyperbole? Do I need to prove that witnesses against Trump have been threatened? She had the relevant information when she was trashed by an appeal court in her last Trump case, how did that work out?

Let's see how the appeal goes, if there is one.

For now, I am sure she is more than capable of reaching a logical decision. No need to get over excited. 

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Let's see how the appeal goes, if there is one.

For now, I am sure she is more than capable of reaching a logical decision. No need to get over excited. 

Ok, we'll revisit this soon enough. I'm not sure where you get your confidence because she hasn't made a logical decision to date. I thiuk there will be a motion to recuse soon.

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well the judge obviously didn't think there was any risk from "trump extremests" as you so eloquently describe them.

This judge always wrong in her judgement. She will be indirect culpable should any witness gets hurt badly by Trump's lunatics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Republican judges seemed to have slept through law school class 101 that judges should recuse themselves if there is even the appearance of a conflict....Thomas and Alioto and now this biased judge who was heavily scolded by a very conservative panel of district judges in previous rulings that did not follow the law in her desire to support trump...not to mention that she is very green and has spent a massive total of 14 days as a trial judge in her entire career but now she is going to handle a complex trial whose consequences are vast....no wonder trust in the judicial is at record lows.

The good news is regardless of what she does there are a lot more indictments coming for trump that will hopefully be handled by experienced non biased judges in Georgia, Washington and perhaps several other venues.

I guess she is unaware of the propensity for the trump cult to threaten judges, senators, and yes witnesses for anyone who dares to challenge dear leader.  Welcome to North Korea.

• Like 2

Legal experts said Cannon’s ruling on the witness list was routine and does not illuminate much about how she will handle the case.

“There are going to be a lot of ministerial orders that are administrative or scheduling or procedural. This is a trial, and not everyone agrees how these things should be done,” said David Aaron, a former Justice Department lawyer who prosecuted national security cases.

“So people shouldn’t get too excited about each one of these.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/26/trump-witnesses-cannon-order-pretrial/

.... As with most of the previous posts.

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Perhaps to protect the witnesses and their families from the trump extremests 

I am sure the prosecution will appeal her ruling to a higher court in order to shield these folks from any possible retribution.  One wonders if they may even be moved into Witness protection.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am sure the prosecution will appeal her ruling to a higher court in order to shield these folks from any possible retribution.  One wonders if they may even be moved into Witness protection.

From the June 26 Court Order:

" Upon review of the foregoing materials, the Government's Motion 33 is denied without prejudice,"

... Without prejudice meaning it can be re-filed with amendments if the Prosecution so chooses.

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

How do you know that?

Perhaps it’s something beyond her imagination and limited experience of only ever presided over 4 previous cases.

She has a sterling history of being overturned by the appellate court and clear conflicts of interest, she should recuse herself or be recused.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

This doesn't seem like a big deal.

More of an issue between the Magistrate Judge at arraignment, and Judge Cannon. I think the Magistrate Judge was worried about trump continuing a conspiracy with some of the witnesses, maybe to protect him?

The government (Jack Smith et al) didn't ask for this.

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Clearly, you are not aware that this is the same judge whose previous rulings in the Mar-A-Lago case were overturned and sternly rebuked by a panel of 3 judges 2 of whom we're very conservative and appointed by Donald Trump.

What is beyond me is that Judge Cannon was even part of the electable Judges to handle this case since 1. her non pipartisan opinion was well known and 2. she has obviously limited experience at all. But as we say here TIT we should obviously introduce TIA as well.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1