How many days in advance of visa expiration can we apply for a new Non-O visa?

I posted this in another thread but I think it's rather buried so thought I'd re-post here, hope that's ok.

I have a Multi-entry Non-O based on marriage to a Thai from Savannakhet that is due to expire toward the end of July. I'm thinking to go this week or next to get a new one (in Savannakhet) as I might be away when the visa expires and would prefer to return to Thailand with a valid visa. I thought I read somewhere that one can apply for a new visa up to one month in advance of the expiration date. Can anyone confirm that or am I batty? Also, and this is a lesser issue but since I'm on the topic, will the new visa be dated from the expiration date of the old visa or will it be dated from the day on which the new one was applied for? ...The concern being that I might be short-changing myself a little bit.

Many thanks! Bam.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

When you are given a new visa by a consulate, the visa is valid starting on the day the visa is issued. Your previous visas and visits to Thailand have no bearing on the validity period of the visa.

That makes sense. That's what I had figured. Cheers!

When applying online to renew my visa, I mark my calendar for between 3 weeks and 1 week before the notification date stated on my last receipt. If you try to do it before or after the window you cannot access the online form.  the website I access is https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login if you have never used the online system you may have to set it up which may be done using the parent url.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, bamboozled said:

That makes sense. That's what I had figured. Cheers!

You can always apply for a 60-day extension to 'visit Thai spouse', which will effectively change the date you need to renew your Non Imm O ME visa, if that helps.
You can also obtain a re-entry permit for the 60-day extension.

Are you aware with the Non Imm O ME, it's possible to stay in Thailand for almost 17 months, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions, before applying for a new Visa.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You can always apply for a 60-day extension to 'visit Thai spouse', which will effectively change the date you need to renew your Non Imm O ME visa, if that helps.
You can also obtain a re-entry permit for the 60-day extension.

Are you aware with the Non Imm O ME, it's possible to stay in Thailand for almost 17 months, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions, before applying for a new Visa.

Thanks for your reply, Liquorice. I'm aware of those options and appreciate the reminder. Going to weigh them all and make a decision.

Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1

As said you can exit/return any day before visa expires for a new 90 day stay - so that is the normal path.  Do not believe Consulate will provide a new visa with an active visa in your passport from them (they might or might not agree to cancel it) - best to make trip after expiration to be sure.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As said you can exit/return any day before visa expires for a new 90 day stay - so that is the normal path.  Do not believe Consulate will provide a new visa with an active visa in your passport from them (they might or might not agree to cancel it) - best to make trip after expiration to be sure.

He would need to exit Thailand prior to the 90-day stay expiry date of his 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (marriage) otherwise he would be on overstay.  So when there is unclarity whether the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet will issue a new 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa, when the permit to stay from the current one has not expired yet, it would probably be best to exit Thailand on last day of current Permit to stay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

He would need to exit Thailand prior to the 90-day stay expiry date of his 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (marriage) otherwise he would be on overstay.  So when there is unclarity whether the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet will issue a new 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa, when the permit to stay from the current one has not expired yet, it would probably be best to exit Thailand on last day of current Permit to stay. 

@bamboozled stated his visa expired towards the end of July. He didn't state when his current permission of stay expires.
If he does a border run before the visa expiry date, he'll get a further 90 days on re-entry, which he could extend for a further 60 days. That would take him to Nov/Dec before he needed a new visa.
Re-entry permits would protect his permission of stay during his proposed trip.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

@bamboozled stated his visa expired towards the end of July. He didn't state when his current permission of stay expires.
If he does a border run before the visa expiry date, he'll get a further 90 days on re-entry, which he could extend for a further 60 days. That would take him to Nov/Dec before he needed a new visa.

Yes, that's fully correct. 

After re-reading @bamboozled post it is clear that he is talking about the Visa validity expiry date, and not about the Permit to stay he got on entry from that valid Visa.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

@bamboozled stated his visa expired towards the end of July. He didn't state when his current permission of stay expires

Correct.

In most situations the OP would exit Thailand after his ME Non O visa has expired but still with current permission of stay.

Then upon exit his current permission of stay would end and he could attend Savannakhet for a new ME Non O.

Savannakhet will not issue him with a new visa if (as per the plan he outlines) he would still have current valid visa in pp. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Liquorice, you just woke me up from my slumber and saved my butt and I thank you. As most of you know, I think, with a Multi-entry Visa, and not extension, one must exit the country every 90 days. I totally spaced a few months ago and overstayed by 4 days. ...Tried to check into a hotel and they asked me where my current and valid visa/stamp was to be found. Whoa...heart drop! Realized I had overstayed in that moment, completely unaware and unusual for me. Luckily, I was close to a border and did my run with no ill-consequence (I hope!...time will tell) other than paying 2000 baht extra. Because of these 4 days, however, my visa expiration date and permission to stay date diverge by 4 days with visa expiring 4 days earlier.

I'm now leaning toward doing a border bounce right before the visa expiration date to extend the permission to stay to 15 months (instead of going to Savannakhet for new visa....that will be later) and had the date of the permission to stay lodged in my head and not the 4-day prior visa expiration date. Yikes! Would not have been a fun border bounce.

Kudos to you all, thank you! Bam