Constitutional court requests update on petition filed against Pita, Move Forward

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Constitutional Court has requested an update on a petition lodged against the Move Forward Party and its leader, Pita Limjaroenrat. The petition was filed by Theerayut Suwankesorn, over MFP’s policy to reform the country’s lèse-majesté law.

The court has requested an update from the attorney-general, after Theerayut lodged his petition, which accuses MFP of violating Section 49. This law prohibits people from using citizens’ liberties and rights to overthrow the monarchy.

Section 49 also states that anyone who believes someone to be plotting such a move can request that the attorney-general forward the issue to the Constitutional Court.

ByPeter Roche

PHOTO: Facebook/พรรคก้าวไกล - Move Forward Party

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/constitutional-court-requests-update-on-petition-filed-against-pita-move-forward/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Section 49

No person shall exercise the rights or liberties to overthrow the democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State. Any person who has knowledge of an act under paragraph one shall have the right to petition to the Attorney-General to request the Constitutional Court for ordering the cessation of such act.

In the case where the Attorney-General orders a refusal to proceed as petitioned or fails to proceed within fifteen days as from the date of receiving the petition, the person making the petition may submit the petition directly to the Constitutional Court.

The action under this section shall not prejudice the criminal prosecution against the person committing an act under paragraph one.

The guy's not even PM and he's being accused overthrowing the government.

That's got to be Defamation?

nahhh that's got to be Thailand ...555

Edited by Mavideol

1 hour ago, webfact said:

This law prohibits people from using citizens’ liberties and rights to overthrow the monarchy.

What are they smokin' down there in Bangkok? Absolutely absurd and ridiculous accusations.. Which might actually WORK... geeeeeeeeez 5555 555.  TIT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Trying to get inspired by the story cover photo ......

Well as a gay I can't help noticing he's far and away the most hansum man in the room.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, marin said:

As an indicator of how popular this idea is just go to a movie, and see what happens now when the royal anthem is played. 

Indeed. I was surprised by the amount of people that remained seated last time I was in the theatre to watch John Wick 4. Must have been 50% or more. Some Western tourists who probably didn't know better but a lot of Thais as well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

REUTERS: Thailand's leading prime ministerial candidate Pita Limjaroenrat said on Tuesday he has enough support in the upper house to become the country's next premier, just days ahead of the new parliament's first session

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailands-pita-says-enough-support-senate-become-pm-2023-06-27/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Pita announced today that the party will push for amendment of the lèse majesté law, in line with “the changing context of Thai society”

From the article in this post...

Pita noted that there is still a lot of misunderstanding about the party’s policy on the lèse majesté law, adding that a number of senators now understand the party’s position after having talked with them.

He should probably start pitching his party's position to the public.

I've heard/read some of what they are thinking, and it is not revolutionary, nor would it limit the powers of the Head of State and the Head of the Military.

But then I'm not sure what is allowed to be discussed here.

It should be noted that until fairly recently it was illegal to even discuss a specific 112 case, and it still may be.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed. I was surprised by the amount of people that remained seated last time I was in the theatre to watch John Wick 4. Must have been 50% or more. Some Western tourists who probably didn't know better but a lot of Thais as well.

I've been in theatres, mostly for packed blockbusters over the past few years, and not a single person stands. I'm surprised this has been allowed to happen.

Thais don't understand reform or adjust.. They all think it is abolish/overthrow/end or whatever.. I see it as my house sometimes you need to do some renovations. That doesn't mean that I will breakdown my house and a new one, only I will make changes....Why are they so obsessed by idea of revoking and overthrowing.. Why not see that that is something different and not the intention at all

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Thais don't understand reform or adjust.. They all think it is abolish/overthrow/end or whatever.. I see it as my house sometimes you need to do some renovations. That doesn't mean that I will breakdown my house and a new one, only I will make changes....Why are they so obsessed by idea of revoking and overthrowing.. Why not see that that is something different and not the intention at all

Way to sweeping and broad of a statement. Also think about the 14 million people who voted for MF. Please desist with the Thai's dont...... Even your analogy is silly. Thai's renovate their houses all the time. The same Thai's want the government reformed, hence the election results. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marin said:

Way to sweeping and broad of a statement. Also think about the 14 million people who voted for MF. Please desist with the Thai's dont...... Even your analogy is silly. Thai's renovate their houses all the time. The same Thai's want the government reformed, hence the election results. 

IIn my opinion the Thai army government never have done anything about their house, not even painted with a result a lot have to be done and still they don't want it...Still in same condition as before WWII or even older... 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

IIn my opinion the Thai army government never have done anything about their house, not even painted with a result a lot have to be done and still they don't want it...Still in same condition as before WWII or even older... 

The educated 18 to 30 year olds finally got out and voted. As it turned out millions of others found MF's message the right one. Not bought but earned. This is the best time in Thailand's modern history for a change. It will take time. The next elections will clinch it after growth is shown. The bottom line is that in Pita they simply have someone they can be proud of rather than embarrassed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marin said:

The old dinosaurs are reduced to throwing sh&t at the wall and seeing if it sticks. Literally beyond belief, fueled by brain dead hardcore loyalists.  

As an indicator of how popular this idea is just go to a movie, and see what happens now when the royal anthem is played. 

Funny you should say that, a friend of mine went and watched a film, when the National Anthem was played, no one moved, he has known Thailand for 20 years plus, he was rather shocked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Funny you should say that, a friend of mine went and watched a film, when the National Anthem was played, no one moved, he has known Thailand for 20 years plus, he was rather shocked.

No wonder.. It is not like father like son and the are literally miles away from the public