Biker’s road rage terrorising Bangkok family evokes societal concerns

snoop1130

จวก2-696x392-1.jpg

A road rage incident escalated on Pattanakan Road in Bangkok last week, when two young motorcyclists aggressively pursued and damaged a pickup truck, leaving the 39 year old driver shocked and distressed. He said that this type of behaviour presents a societal risk and has now been shared on social media.

The disagreement started when the driver, Nattawat, was driving his Isuzu pickup with his wife and daughter. A motorcycle overtook him on the right, a move inappropriate for the location. Concerned, Nattawat honked twice to alert the bikers but carried on, not anticipating that they would follow him to Triam Udom School.

“Then they smashed the window,” he said, pointing at the damaged left side mirror of the pick-up. This marked the start of a horrifying few moments of road rage for the family, which was captured on video by Nattawat’s daughter from inside the car. In the heat of the situation, the young motorists honked before overtaking Nattawat on the left and using a bottle to strike his mirror, shattering the glass.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of Khaosod

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/bikers-road-rage-terrorising-family-on-pattanakan-road-evoke-societal-concerns

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Never honk your horn at a Thai. They are never, ever in the wrong, even when they are...

The family was lucky they didn't have a gun. 

Being chased like that if he'd have slammed on his breaks he'd have been the 'winner'  !!!!.... 

Not condoning such behavior, but if protecting your family comes into it, then.... 

This behavior sometimes makes me wonder if front and rear 'Bull bars' are necessary, the amount of times I have to take 'avoiding' action to prevent a careless motorcycle hitting me is countless. 

• Like 2

Everything in life is cause and effect. Why are these punks so misguided? I have been saying for a long time now, the youth of today are very scary people. They have little perspective on anything, and it seems that most parents worldwide, have lost the art of parenting. The very fact that this kid would act like this is proof, that his mother and father have been absent on the job. I am very, very fortunate to not have children. But, if I had them, I would be very strict. Children need boundaries, much like pets. They will test you, to determine where the limits are, and will try to find how far they can push you. These days parents are so hung up on trying to be "friends" with their kids, they hesitate to show them the limits. I see that everywhere I go these days. Here in Thailand it is very pronounced. I hear it is worse in China, where the parents spoil their kids rotten. It is very bad in the US.

If I were a parent and my kid was acting up, when I got home, he would be locked in his room for a 2 days. No school, no play, no TV, no devices, no screens, 2 meals a day, some water, and a bucket for elimination. With a padlock on the outside of the door. He would learn very quickly where his limits were. And my guess it that he would straighten out.

Please, no lectures on parent cruelty. I am NOT a believer in political correctness. On any level. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. In this case, the kid owns the mother. So, this monster has turned his mother into a child. And he owns her. In the past, parents knew the art of parenting. This generation has largely lost it.

Way too many snowflakes trying to be friends with their kids. Your kids are not your friends. They are your kids. Who is the parent? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Confused 3

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Everything in life is cause and effect. Why are these punks so misguided? I have been saying for a long time now, the youth of today are very scary people. They have little perspective on anything, and it seems that most parents worldwide, have lost the art of parenting. The very fact that this kid would act like this is proof, that his mother and father have been absent on the job. I am very, very fortunate to not have children. But, if I had them, I would be very strict. Children need boundaries, much like pets. They will test you, to determine where the limits are, and will try to find how far they can push you. These days parents are so hung up on trying to be "friends" with their kids, they hesitate to show them the limits. I see that everywhere I go these days. Here in Thailand it is very pronounced. I hear it is worse in China, where the parents spoil their kids rotten. It is very bad in the US.

If I were a parent and my kid was acting up, when I got home, he would be locked in his room for a 2 days. No school, no play, no TV, no devices, no screens, 2 meals a day, some water, and a bucket for elimination. With a padlock on the outside of the door. He would learn very quickly where his limits were. And my guess it that he would straighten out.

Please, no lectures on parent cruelty. I am NOT a believer in political correctness. On any level. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. In this case, the kid owns the mother. So, this monster has turned his mother into a child. And he owns her. In the past, parents knew the art of parenting. This generation has largely lost it.

Way too many snowflakes trying to be friends with their kids. Your kids are not your friends. They are your kids. Who is the parent? 

What is true is that a lot of parents , especially here with dads, are missing. A child without a father around grows up with only one for guidance, and a woman can't teach a boy how to be a man. What she can teach, if she's not in Bangkok while the kids are with grandma, is respect for elders, other's property, animals, and other's space. Being very strict doesn't work, nor does being too lenient. There's a fine line between discipline and not caring enough. Locking a child in his room is abuse. It shows them you are out of control, and controlling a bad situation is a parent's job. It's abandonment instead of teaching a lesson. Time out's are always good, if they are a teaching tool and not just top shut them out because you don't want to let them learn what they did is wrong. If a fire happened, not that there would be such bad timing, and they were locked in, it might be a disaster. As far as it being very bad in the US, that's also false. This happens everywhere there is poverty. dads leave, and moms think they have to go elsewhere to work instead of being a parent. leaving the kids with others, many of whom are illiterate, too old, or not caring teaches the child that this is normal behavior. it isn't. If you're going to be a parent, do it. It isn't anyone else's job. Teaching respect for others is priority one, and as we see here, it's not being taught on even a basic level. What they did was wrong from the start. First of all, a scooter can't compete with a car. You always lose. Not wearing helmets and trying to pass on the wrong side is why thousands die each year here. Of course, not enforcement of laws already there is the police not doing their jobs, which leads to more doing the same daily. All that driver had to do was turn slightly to the side and two are on the ground, either very hurt or dead. The stupidity of scooter drivers amazes me. Lastly, the breakdown of the family is the root of all problems worldwide, which is what I agree with in your statement. Not having any kids leaves you totally clueless on the dynamics of raising them, and that's not a putdown. You think it's do this or that, because you saw it growing up, or heard it from others, and it doesn't come close. It's the hardest job on earth, and is why so many fail at it and walk away. Parenting isn't for cowards, and kids having kids, especially here and other poor countries, leaves the next generation in the dark.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Never honk your horn at a Thai. They are never, ever in the wrong, even when they are...

The only way to let others know they are in the wrong is telling them. Honking your horn lets others know, and it doesn't matter that some think Thai's are never wrong. This is why bad behavior continues. Mai pen rai doesn't work all the time like many here think it does. If I see someone going very slow in the lane, hugging the line, I'll pass them and pull over far to the left for awhile, letting them know it's what you do if someone wants to pass safely. Of course, many won't care nor understand what you're doing, but some will, and then it'll be a habit of theirs from then on, to show respect for others on the road. Something millions here don't yet have. If you drive like many do here in the US, you'll pay a lot of money, and that's the best teacher. As far as others having a gun, yes, that happens and people get shot at. If someone pulled a gun out at me while passing and pointed it at me, they're going down, and then to jail, because no court system on earth allows that behavior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our social habits are molded by our parents and teachers first, then friends, As the current older generation are showing a lack of concern for others, it is not surprising their kids are also showing antisocial attributes.

19 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Why should somebody be scared all the time? Don't let them get away with that behavior. I don't take sht from anyone, never have and never will. 

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I blame boomer mommies worldwide... they have sissified their son's and have refused to hold them accountable for their behavior

Pity you dont even know what a boomer is. By posting this you come off quite silly. 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have two daughters, and more cherished (perhaps?) is my SUV. If some punk(s) came at me in a threatening manner with their motorbikes, I would probably blow it off. But if the harassment continued, then I would honk my vehicle's horn. If more harassment continued, then I would practice making pancakes.

A 3500 lbs vehicle will always win against a 500 lbs (or less) vehicle.

A word to the youth... don't test me!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I blame boomer mommies worldwide... they have sissified their son's and have refused to hold them accountable for their behavior

The boomers re their grand parents now, not parents. I'm 54 and my parents are of boomer age. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DavisH said:

The boomers re their grand parents now, not parents. I'm 54 and my parents are of boomer age. 

It started with the boomer mommies... sorry that I didn't describe it down to the last detail... I made a mistake that the following generations could extrapolate beyond their own noses... it's being passed down since then... get it???

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Completely agree with everything else, but this part will probably get you arrested ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why should somebody be scared all the time? Don't let them get away with that behavior. I don't take sht from anyone, never have and never will. 

Some day, you might meet someone who is quicker, stronger and more skilled than you. What will you do then?

22 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

The only way to let others know they are in the wrong is telling them. Honking your horn lets others know,

Honking your horn is just a way of saying, look out, I'm here too. Weirdly enough people see it as being aggressive. 

It's weird though how motorcyclists here think that having your blinker on to turn left, actually means: Wow, how kind, he'll let me pass on the left! 

So many times I've experienced this. I'm just driving closer and closer to the sidewalk to make less and less space for them, sometimes I just turn left instantly. They always turn their head, looking at me as if I'm crazy, but my blinkers were on for about 20 seconds or so. Motorcyclists should maybe just get a tougher exam before they may go on the road. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Some day, you might meet someone who is quicker, stronger and more skilled than you. What will you do then?

Then I loose but don't change my attitude. Don't loose often though and never in Thailand so far.

Edited by FritsSikkink

On 6/27/2023 at 6:01 PM, Dmaxdan said:

I have heard the story of an Indian being asked what he regarded as the most strange thing in a western country. He said: "Why dont you honk all the time while driving" ? Clearly someone with a death wish when he were in Thailand.

Edited by moogradod

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I knew a former test driver for BMW motorcycles. Go figure. And on the weekends in Switzerland you see some drivers on the streets of the alps passes which go downhill in a breathtaking speed, then speed through an approaching 225 degree curve wihout noticeably slowing down while at the curves apex it might go down 1000m unsecured. Shall I now regard this as a remarkable stunt or just an expression of stupidity of a driver even if he has obviously more than full command of his bike (but maybe not of the street.....) ?