Thai woman’s fingers and toes amputated during hospital visit for diarrhea sparks outrage

snoop1130

47 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

and the cure for that is to amputate toes and fingers...........right. 

No, the implication was that the only thing wrong with her when she went into hospital was a stomach upset, whereas in fact when she arrived at the hospital her kidneys had already almost completely stopped working and her blood pressure was already critically low.

The poor lady quite clearly had much more serious medical problems than is implied by the headline.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In 1976, I suffered a bursted appendix, but didn't pay too much attention to it.
Only, after 3 days, I had a terrible belly ache and I went straight to the hospital.
The diagnose was a bursted appendix and a dangerous level of white blood cells.
Thee doctors started immediatly with surgery and I was kept in an artificial induced Coma for 1 month.
Luckely, I did keep all my limbs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My wife had a appendectomy earlier this year. The surgeon left the incision open for a week with a tube inserted.

When I asked him about this, he explained that it was because of the risk of infection that they left it open so that they could drain any fluid and to do an internal inspection to make sure there was nothing nasty going on inside. 

She made a full recovery so fair dos. It seems that he knew his stuff.

Perfectly normal, the same happened to me at Camillian after a ruptured appendix except that the appendectomy incision was closed and a second small incision for a catheter was made nearby to drain anything noxious.   And, much to the relief of everyone here, I survived.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Her initial outward symptoms may only have been diarrhoea but at the hospital she was found to be suffering from kidney failure and in the midst of a hypotensive crisis.

She then needed dialysis so that means she had only 10 - 15% of her kidney function left.

This does not sound like just a simple case of mild food poisoning and "the runs." She was having serious, serious kidney problems.

If what the husband says, is correct. Then no doctor's examination or interview from the 12th to the 20th of April. Seems a bit like neglect to me They may have caught it in time and limited the damage with a bit more attention..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Her initial outward symptoms may only have been diarrhoea but at the hospital she was found to be suffering from kidney failure and in the midst of a hypotensive crisis.

She then needed dialysis so that means she had only 10 - 15% of her kidney function left.

This does not sound like just a simple case of mild food poisoning and "the runs." She was having serious, serious kidney problems.

correct

9 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Horrid, what a horror story.

Her right hand seems to be totally gangerous-not "just" her fingers? 

I'm no medic, others here would have such knowledge, but how did kidney issues lead to her being chopped up?

Possibly the lack of senior doctors having a ball for Songkran. 

8 hours ago, milesinnz said:

Sepsis causes multiple organ failures due to the lack of ability of the blood to carry oxygen (hence the Kidney failure).. you can die in as little as two hours... more people die of sepsis than heart attacks and many "survivors" have had limbs amputated..

yep

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

What part of " she developed sepsis don't you understand? "

She didn't go to hospital with sepsis she developed sepsis post operative therefore the comment he made is valid and relevant the sepsis had no bearing on it, your insulting comment is totally unnecessary and invalid

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Typical surtitle reader comment:coffee1:

I did read the article and didn't want to go through lots of speculations when I wrote my post. it appears to me that there has been nothing short of enormous negligence on the part of the doctors and hospital staff.

"...Throughout her hospital stay from April 12 to 20, Chai noted that his wife did not see or interact with any doctors..."

The doctors have never checked the state of health and the course of the prescribed therapy(possible side effects?)

..."It wasn’t until April 24 that the doctor questioned Chai and his wife about any prior infections..."

The doctor worries when it is too late to save the patient's fingers and toes.

I never disparage Thai people or anything related to Thai culture, after 13 years I still feel a sense of gratitude towards all Thai friends who are always kind and helpful.

Mine was a veiled criticism of the professionalism of the hospital medical staff, a fact that could have happened anywhere else in the world:coffee1:

Regards

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, RobU said:

She didn't go to hospital with sepsis she developed sepsis post operative therefore the comment he made is valid and relevant the sepsis had no bearing on it, your insulting comment is totally unnecessary and invalid

And the implication that she went to hospital with diarrhea and the doctors amputated her limbs because they had nothing better to do during Songkran?

Ridiculous. if her extremities turned black, that's gangrene. The Doctors saved her life.

Sepsis can attack at anytime given the right environment.

She already had kidney failure, it wasn't a case of ' Bangkok belly '  or the ' Trots ' on further investigation various other health issues came to light once she was admitted. Who knows what other underlying health issues they discovered.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It was then revealed that she had developed sepsis, a serious blood infection, leading to reduced oxygen levels and the subsequent darkening of her extremities.

Oh sure, they saved her life,????
but after their "slow treatment".????

Edited by The Theory

38 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

And the implication that she went to hospital with diarrhea and the doctors amputated her limbs because they had nothing better to do during Songkran?

Ridiculous. if her extremities turned black, that's gangrene. The Doctors saved her life.

Sepsis can attack at anytime given the right environment.

She already had kidney failure, it wasn't a case of ' Bangkok belly '  or the ' Trots ' on further investigation various other health issues came to light once she was admitted. Who knows what other underlying health issues they discovered.

Correcting someone is fine, however doing it in an insulting manner is not. The article said she went to hospital with diarrhea the sepsis and blackened extremities developed whilst she was in hospital 

• Thumbs Up 1

So there was a ruptured appendix, taken out, but from that sepsis still developed or keep on going? Kidney failure due to that? No anti biotics?

The sepsis caused dying toes and fingers which had to be amputated? They were lost.

She didnt stay in hospital longer? You would expect that with burst appendix AND kidney failure AND low blood pressure AND a dangerous drug.

In the thaiger article you can read, she got a medicine for rasing blood pressure, Levophed, a medication used to raise blood pressure. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of this medication is compromised blood circulation to the fingers and toes.

Then i dont understand why the woman wasnt hospitalized which such a drug AND all other failures.

I would say doctor has neglected a lot in this case, not really the right procedure.   

She was send home after ruptured appendix, kidney failure, extreme low blood pressure and had a drug which caused the dying fingers and toes.

I have serious questions on the doctor(s?), malpractice.

• Like 1

This should spark international outrage. I mean WTF is this!

Obviously, the hospital most have been so desperate for money that they decided to go heavy against this unfortunate individual. They should sue the hospital and every doctor involved must be either sent to prison or pay a hefty fine. 

Unbelievable.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:52 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

But no explanation as to why her appendix needed to be removed, with nothing said about it previously. Looks like she got much worse after that operation.

10 hours ago, loveushorttime said:

But no explanation as to why her appendix needed to be removed, with nothing said about it previously. Looks like she got much worse after that operation.

Appendicitis can be a potential complication of kidney infection. 

Or the other way round - appendicitis can lead to kidney problems, so it could be she had appendicitis to start with, since diarrhea is one of the symptoms of appendicitis (albeit not the most common one).

Or as mentioned, it could have been a side effect of her kidney issues.

• Thumbs Up 1