Gay sex was illegal here 16 years ago. Now this country could be the next big LGBT vacation spot

Social Media

image.png

As Nepal’s first openly gay parliamentarian, Sunil Babu Pant educated his colleagues on LGBTQ topics. More than a decade later, the former lawmaker and activist is sharing similar knowledge with locals and tourists on the capital’s streets.

On Saturdays, Pant hosts a heritage walk through the heart of Kathmandu, which is dotted with ancient temples, stupas and decrepit old houses that have withstood haphazard urbanization. The three-hour tour introduces the city’s matriarchal religious sites while exploring elements of gender and sexuality.

These sites, some in Hindu temples, feature paintings and wooden carvings with deities engaging in sexual acts, along with homoerotic illustrations and hermaphroditic figures.

“You’ll see a lot of nudity, it’s very normal … living in Kathmandu, it should be taken as pride, not shame,” says Pant. As he navigates the dusty streets, the aroma of incense, along with freshly brewed chiya, or milk tea, and traditional morning breakfast items – gwara mari, or fried dough balls, and the sweet fluffy malpuwa – in nearby shops fills the morning air.

Pant’s heritage tour, which he pioneered in 2010, is a personal endeavor, partly aimed at promoting LGBTQ tourism in the South Asian country. Now, the Nepal government is showing interest in investing in LGBTQ-specific services to tap into the multi-billion dollar “pink economy” and promote LGBTQ inclusion in the country’s tourism industry.

STORY

image.png

Only the most backward countries still care about folks living an alternative lifestyle.

Even in the USA, anal sex, or a good BJ, is still illegal in some states, but nobody cares or would bother enforcing such a law.

Although a wife might use it as grounds for a divorce, and royally screw in the butt with that little tidbit of the law.   Even though she really enjoyed it at the time, at divorce court, it's ....

"OMG, you wouldn't believe what he used to make me do, isn't sodomy illegal" ... "I've been the victim the whole marriage" ... "I want the house, car, kids, and most of your income"

image.png.1eb15dda0f14f764f1df246d0a98ba9c.png

Oh Krap ....

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

I travel to Nepal regularly and oh my, being gay is still a big deal - in the negative sense of the word - there. Also, there's nothing for gay travelers, one gay-ish bar in KTM, that's it. Will be nice to see this change and people not discriminated against something they were born with. 

Well I'm sure it's an interesting destination but I doubt there will ever be gay circuit parties there.

I've had good trips in homophobic destinations. You need to read the room. But it depends. People that can't pass as straight would be better off not going to hostile places.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I spent some time in Nepal in the 1970s-80s.  There were "pleasure rooms" where tourists gathered to smoke interesting things.  A common sight at these places were European guys doing semi-drag Greta Garbo impersonations (brim hats, feathers boas, etc).  The locals would giggle at them and that was about it.

As for history and traditions  https://lgbtqia.fandom.com/wiki/Hijra

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well I'm sure it's an interesting destination but I doubt there will ever be gay circuit parties there.

I've had good trips in homophobic destinations. You need to read the room. But it depends. People that can't pass as straight would be better off not going to hostile places.

One time I couldn't return to Pharping, as the buses had stopped running due to upcoming elections, so I needed a place for the night and booked a $2 bed in Thamel. The check-in guy ended up coming on to me and I got upgraded to a single room (with him joining me in bed for some time as well). It was unexpected & enjoyable ????

He was extremely concerned about others finding out about his orientation and I felt for him experiencing this suffering.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I find your post anti gay.

It's like telling Jews just be like Christians and make yourself invisible and then we might tolerate you.

It's actually more bizarre than that. They implicitly concede that LGBQT people are discriminated against, but then prospectively offers a preview of what a scolding would look like for what LGBQT folks might do after discrimination is eliminated.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I find your post anti intellectual.

I'm not telling gay people to be straight. I'm suggesting they continue to be gay and stop shouting from the rooftops about their sexuality and just get on with their lives.

Here's what you wrote originally:

"I wish them all the best in integrating into society as a normal citizens.

Once they reach the status of acceptance, I would advise them not to hold annual pride marches, not to assault people who misgender them, not to demand special treatment and to be celebrated. 

Originally, you said that when the day comes that the no longer experience bigotry they should stop protesting, but now you're saying that they should cease immediately."

So between the interval that you wrote that first post and the second, did gay people "reach the status of acceptance"?  Wow and Halleluiah too!  That was fast. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I find your post anti intellectual.

I'm not telling gay people to be straight. I'm suggesting they continue to be gay and stop shouting from the rooftops about their sexuality and just get on with their lives.

You can't stop people from expressing themselves more. It's for them only to decide how to live their lives.

You may not like it, so take your own advice to just look the other way and get on with it. 

• Like 1

No "need" for Christmas decorations either. 

Life must be very trying for you during Pride Month. All those bright colors. All that feeling of being offended. It can't be healthy.

Edited by Pink Mist
quoted post removed
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sharksy said:

I'm no Christian, so that comment is wasted on me.  

I'm also finding your posts anti intellectual.

Christmas and decorations is about a culture, or a belief and celebration of that.

You really are so wide of the mark in linking Pride events to Christmas.

You respond with child-like antics.

LGBT people have a culture. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_culture

You respond with child like insults.

I stand by comparing Pride Month decorations to Christmas ones 

If you lack the intellect to perceive the similarity that's on you.

The gist of these LGBT people should be invisible arguments come off like everything will be OK if LGBT people aren't uppity and behave like gay equivalents of Uncle Toms.

As far as corporations going rainbow during pride months in some countries that's their initiative because they think there's profit in it. It's not fair to collectively blame LGBT people for that.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As far as corporations going rainbow during pride months in some countries that's their initiative because they think there's profit in it. It's not fair to collectively blame LGBT people for that.

That bit of your post I actually agree with!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, sharksy said:

Does no one care that I feel offended when I walk across this rainbow crossing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ck5908wd00wo

What is the purpose of this other than wasting money.

At least with pride events, usually one makes a conscious decision to go there.

Thank you for bringing our attention to this important issue. Even more so now that it has been decided not to fund rainbow crossings.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sharksy said:

Does no one care that I feel offended when I walk across this rainbow crossing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ck5908wd00wo

What is the purpose of this other than wasting money.

At least with pride events, usually one makes a conscious decision to go there.

How fragile is your sense of self that to walk across a painted road causes you consternation? Are you concerned that it might cause you to doubt your hitherto alpha masculinity, or are you simply alt-right virtue signalling in the most tedious of manners?

30 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This is awful. Are they strapping you in, in front of a TV, and forcing you to view these events? Or is there an endless gay parade being conducted in the street your home is located on? I guess I'm lucky so far because no one has come to my place to force me  to view or hear much about events that don't interest me. I'm still able to choose what I want to see and hear on the media. But how knows how much longer that will last?

Everyone  can live their lives as they wish, and good luck to them, just don't ram in down other people's throats at every turn, in every news report, in every social media outlet, in every public debate, even on every forum  

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Everyone  can live their lives as they wish, and good luck to them, just don't ram in down other people's throats at every turn, in every news report, in every social media outlet, in every public debate, even on every forum  

Should all proclamations of community be banned? I don't particularly like pancakes. Should I object loudly every Shrove Tuesday? I find motorbikes loud, noisy and stressful. Do you think I should demand that all biking groups disband and never sully my ears again?

Or should I just accept that there are things which interest me but disinterest others, and vice versa, and that to get bent out of shape for those which I don't naturally align with suggests that I might be the problem rather than the answer?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

When people refer to stuff being shoved down throats, it's an easily transparent CODE.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

You must be living in an alternative universe or experiencing some cognitive disorder. Every news report? Every public debate? As for media outlets and forums, there's a wide range of issues featured on them. Are you maintaining that there's near exclusivity featuring only lgbqt issues on this forum or on social media? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2