Miraculous survival: Woman wakes up en route to her own funeral in Udon Thani

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo Courtesy of KhaoSod

A baffling miraculous survival incident occurred in Udon Thani, when a woman aged 49 years old, supposedly dead, awakened just as her family prepared for her funeral at a local temple. The family believed she was waiting for her daughter who was travelling from Bangkok.

Yesterday, Weeraphon Rak Samerwong, admin of the Ban Dung Update page, was informed about transporting Chataphon, a resident of Ban Dung district, back to her home after succumbing to a severe illness. Mali, the mother, advocated for her daughter to return home as it was the final wish she held dear. As she was informed by the doctor that there were slim chances of her survival, she intended to take her daughter back home.

However, mid-journey to Ban Dung, Chataphon died. Mali, her mother, promptly alerted relatives anticipating them at the temple to start the funeral procession. Bizarrely as the vehicle entered Wat Sri Phadung, Chataphon revived, causing an astonishing reaction among the people in the van. On realising that her daughter had regained consciousness, Mali hurriedly rushed her to Somdet Phra Yuparaj Hospital in Ban Dung. She joyfully informed everyone about their good fortune, stating Chataphon’s miraculous survival, reported KhaoSod.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo Courtesy of KhaoSod

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/presumed-dead-woman-wakes-up-en-route-to-her-own-funeral-in-udon-thani-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

Sounds like the doctor that declared her dead needs to go back to medical school......

1 hour ago, webfact said:

As she was informed by the doctor that there were slim chances of her survival,

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So mother decided she was dead, not a doctor, so you can have someone cremated without a doctors death certificate, 

No that would never happen. The body of a deceased person would never go straight from the hospital to the cremation oven. In Thai society, the mourning period is very important. It's obvious from the narrative that Chataphon's mother's plan was taking her home so that she could die there, surrounded by her family. That is the preferred way for almost all Thais.

Most Thais are also 'laid out' at home for the mourning period, which lasts a minimum of 2 days. But sometimes the body is laid out at the temple instead and that appears to be what their arrangements were, hence the quick of change of plan when Chataphon apparently died.

A doctor would have been summons to the temple to confirm the death and issue the death certificate. But she confounded them all didn't she and at the very least she got to see her daughter.

55 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A doctor would have been summons to the temple to confirm the death and issue the death certificate.

Sorry but I don't believe that, anything in Thailand is possible

57 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The body of a deceased person would never go straight from the hospital to the cremation oven

She was not pronounced dead by any doctor.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A doctor would have been summons to the temple to confirm the death and issue the death certificate.

Sorry but I don't believe that, anything in Thailand is possible

In the village that I live in, most old folk die at home. The doctor is always called in to certify the death. Having a death certificate is very important. Think insurance payouts, pension/widows payments. Bank accounts. You can't deal with any of these things without a death certificate. You're being totally illogical..

She was not pronounced dead by any doctor.

At the time she left the hospital no she wasn't. because she wasn't dead was she and at press time she still wasn't! The plan was to take her home as it said in the O/P and my post. Seems to me you read neither the O/P or my post in any depth before typing your kneejerk response.

I've asked my wife about this. Apparently, and this is hard to believe, she tells me it is normal, if a person dies at home (or in this case 'dies' in transit), for the family merely to accept that person as dead. No medical personnel at all are called to confirm it. That only happens in the case of an accident or mysterious death (body found in field etc).

I guess that sometimes the family member gets the diagnosis wrong and you get people 'waking from the dead'. Not the first case I've read of it happening here, and now I know why. I go to bed wiser than when I woke up, always a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1