Pheu Thai concedes House speakership, promises to stick with Move Forward

webfact

image.jpeg

The Pheu Thai party has reportedly conceded the House speakership to Move Forward, which will stay in the coalition, even if Pita Limjaroenrat, the Move Forward prime ministerial candidate, does not receive enough parliamentary votes to become the prime minister.

Sources told Thai PBS that, if Pita fails to take the premiership, Pheu Thai will lead the government, with Move Forward promising to stay in the coalition to form the administration.

With members of both parties exchanging heated opinions on the House speakership for days, Pheu Thai and Move Forward have agreed that their members should no longer voice their opinions on the matter publicly since it might affect the talks among 8 coalition partners, scheduled to take place this Sunday, July 2nd.

#news

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-concedes-house-speakership-promises-to-stick-with-move-forward/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sources told Thai PBS that, if Pita fails to take the premiership, Pheu Thai will lead the government, with Move Forward promising to stay in the coalition to form the administration.

This seems like the best possible outcome/compromise of this overly "ginned up" controversy.

So who will MFP put forward for Speaker, that veterinarian, Phaidpat, from Phitsanalouk? Any cat-herding experience. will be helpful.  ????

So if Pita does not get enough votes for PM, PTP will put Srettha up? Will he get enough votes?

Now the Senate is on the back foot. Do they block the Speaker vote? And kick-off a period of instability? I think they're now forced to approve a MFP speaker.

Then somehow justify blocking Pita, but maybe accepting Srettha?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Pheu Thai party has reportedly conceded the House speakership to Move Forward, which will stay in the coalition, even if Pita Limjaroenrat, the Move Forward prime ministerial candidate, does not receive enough parliamentary votes to become the prime minister.

So now the daily BS rumours can stop about a so-called rift.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

This seems like the best possible outcome/compromise of this overly "ginned up" controversy.

So who will MFP put forward for Speaker, that veterinarian, Phaidpat, from Phitsanalouk? Any cat-herding experience. will be helpful.  ????

So if Pita does not get enough votes for PM, PTP will put Srettha up? Will he get enough votes?

Now the Senate is on the back foot. Do they block the Speaker vote? And kick-off a period of instability? I think they're now forced to approve a MFP speaker.

Then somehow justify blocking Pita, but maybe accepting Srettha?

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

"So if Pita does not get enough votes for PM, PTP will put Srettha up? Will he get enough votes?"

Good point, maybe PTP will run into the same senate roadblocks.

Perhaps that depends of what PTP has said/is saying about continiung/not continuianf the past status quo.

So the old fox Thaksin killed the premiership from Pita "if Pita fails to take the premiership, Pheu Thai will lead the government".

Next step is to ensure that it fails....convince some senators who wanted to vote for Pita that there is a better option that is equal democratic....Alone this article will cause that.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Do they block the Speaker vote?

I've read "The Senate under Transitory Provisions of the Constitution" and do not find any provision wherein the Senate members can vote on the Speaker of the House. Only for the PM under certain conditions.

However, in the combined Senate and House called the National Assembly a member of the Senate acts as Vice-President while a member of the House acts as President of the National Assembly. Wherein the Vice President of the Senate in the absence of a House of Representatives or absence of a President of the National Assembly can then act automatically as President of the National Assembly. 

Why is Pita the only candidate? Surely the part with the most votes should lead the government... it would be disastrous if the young Shinawatra lady is put in charge: she literally has no experience whatsoever.

Edited by Brickleberry
spelling error

9 hours ago, webfact said:

I wanted to post this already a few days ago.

That circus clown petitioner was a PTP member in the past, then moved to Prawit.

Prawit was named a few months ago as being the key to Thaksin's return.

What are the chances that the clown is actually filing all those petitions on behalf of PTP?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So now the daily BS rumours can stop about a so-called rift.

The rumours will never stop until either the MFP or the PTP win an overall majority and that hasn't happened since 2004/2005 in Thaksin's second term.

21 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

Why is Pita the only candidate? Surely the part with the most votes should lead the government... it would be disastrous if the young Shinawatra lady is put in charge: she literally has no experience whatsoever.

I think I read something that if PTP has the prime minister it will not be the Shinawatra lady....They said something from in 5 years maybe....They know it, and don't want to burn her.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BenStark said:

I wanted to post this already a few days ago.

That circus clown petitioner was a PTP member in the past, then moved to Prawit.

Prawit was named a few months ago as being the key to Thaksin's return.

What are the chances that the clown is actually filing all those petitions on behalf of PTP?

There are rumors but it is Thailand, there are rumors for everything.

23 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

She has all of her dad's experience pulling her strings.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

I think I read something that if PTP has the prime minister it will not be the Shinawatra lady....They said something from in 5 years maybe....They know it, and don't want to burn her.

Yes, you're right. According to the news this morning, it 's likely to be Srettha Thavisin.

PT have played their hand beautifully. They've snatched the best cabinet positions, have more positions in the cabinet than MF, they've claimed both deputy speaker roles, and are highly likely to be successful in gaining the PM's office. Not bad for 2nd place.

They even got Pita to agree to step out of the race if he is unsuccessful after two rounds of PM votes, and to allow PT to form the next government. They will stay together under the same deal, but this means the party that came 2nd will have the most cabinet positions, and the PM. Democracy at its finest? Sadly not.  

Edited by Brickleberry

7 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Yes, you're right. According to the news this morning, it 's likely to be Srettha Thavisin.

PT have played their hand beautifully. They've snatched the best cabinet positions, have more positions in the cabinet than MF, they've claimed both deputy speaker roles, and are highly likely to be successful in gaining the PM's office. Not bad for 2nd place.

They even got Pita to agree to step out of the race if he is unsuccessful after two rounds of PM votes, and to allow PT to form the next government. They will stay together under the same deal, but this means the party that came 2nd will have the most cabinet positions, and the PM. Democracy at its finest? Sadly not.  

Well my country had a coalition of the 2nd and 3rd with the 3rd having the PM and no one complained....

But that promise to stay together: I would not believe it.....I recently read the list of Thai PMs and how long they last....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, h90 said:

Well my country had a coalition of the 2nd and 3rd with the 3rd having the PM and no one complained....

But that promise to stay together: I would not believe it.....I recently read the list of Thai PMs and how long they last....

It would be utterly foolish for MF to stay in. They can only lose by being in government with PT, it would make much more sense for them to stick to their principles and go into opposition. There is no way the population would be happy with PT working with PPRP, bringing back Thaksin etc.

It may transpire that Prawit gets the PM's office as a gift from the senate if he puts his name up for consideration. A general election may happen much sooner if they go down this route, & MF can sweep up even more seats next time.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

It would be utterly foolish for MF to stay in. They can only lose by being in government with PT, it would make much more sense for them to stick to their principles and go into opposition. There is no way the population would be happy with PT working with PPRP, bringing back Thaksin etc.

It may transpire that Prawit gets the PM's office as a gift from the senate if he puts his name up for consideration. A general election may happen much sooner if they go down this route, & MF can sweep up even more seats next time.

I doubt Prawit can get enough votes and he won't get 250 MPs...without the 250 MPs he can't govern.

I could imagine that they let some votes fail and than someone brings the real candidate.....So PTP can say...Pita failed, Prawit no....but we jump in to the rescue or some other obvious scripted story.