Pheu Thai’s leverage may be getting stronger

webfact

image.jpeg

Amid post-election shocks and Move Forward’s euphoria, the Pheu Thai Party looked all but dead and buried immediately after the May 14 election. It was a peculiar political mishap, though, because Pheu Thai still won 141 seats and as of now will still be able to be the second biggest party in a Pita government if it chooses to.

The difference now is that playing the second fiddle to Move Forward is no longer Pheu Thai’s only option. Much has to do with the parliamentary numbers generated by the May election. A lot has to do with Pheu Thai starting to realise that. The rest has to do with Move Forward itself.

Things have changed significantly after about one month and a half. Days after the election, Pheu Thai was under immense pressure to support Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat because all of the democratic logic demanded so. Take away Thaksin Shinawatra, who has been softly criticised by Move Forward, the two parties share virtually the same thinking, albeit with different levels of seriousness, aggression and extremism. There was no reason or justification why Pheu Thai should not back Pita.

Now, what Move Forward has done since May 14 comes in. A victory parade has been followed by comments, activities or announcements that irritate or upset the conservatives. A viral clip of a female political leader deeply associated with Move Forward pretending to call a late Khana Ratsadon hero saying “We are making it” is not helping Move Forward’s difficult path.

By Tulsathit Taptim

#news

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thais-leverage-may-be-getting-stronger/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the two parties share virtually the same thinking, albeit with different levels of seriousness, aggression and extremism.

yes... make booze more easily accessible and make weed a punishable by jail offence once again. great going... too bad too few people dont see what is coming. there is no alternative for the thais, but i am not on the band wagon cheering pitiful pita either. he will reveal his true nature soon enough. i get lots of confused emojis for stating the obvious but soon enough i will 'i told you so'???? ???? :crazy: ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, h90 said:

And the alternative to it is Shinawattras....Soon people will miss Prayut and not because he was in any way good. Not being Pita will be good enough

completely agree. we know what the shinawat's true colors are. shoot first ask questions later. i dont get why people are so blinded by pitiful pita. wish i understood. maybe cos there really arent any alternatives? as for prayut and the watch guy i think they are out to pasture... finally. i think deep down inside the people who support weed know the reality of it. if you compare then with now, there are much fewer people advertising. weed seeds and weed paraphernalia on shopee and lazada... the stoners seem to know better what is coming than the boozers and  the straits

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Yet, some are just realizing that there is not much difference amongst any of them..... 

so why are people (foreigners included) wrapped up with pitiful pita? i guess it is just the handsome man syndrome in action. same can be said about justin trudeau. his politics suck, but hey... he is handsome... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

My personal, earnest wish for MFP to make it all the way through the traps & ambushes set by their opponents is strong to the point where I'm unsure how much more of this charade I can handle without striding out onto an upstairs balcony beside the street and letting go with the angriest of primal screams......but I still have some admiration for the way that some MFP members, like the lady mentioned in the Khana Ratsadorn incident, are not afraid to say such things and....to my knowledge....NOT do an embarrassing damage-limitation U-turn that betrays their own apparent principles. 

And anyway, maybe she know what everyone knows.....that MFP are sadly scr*wed no matter what. Why not show some flair?

After all, there's the long game, and the long game IS MFP's to win.  

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, marin said:

Remember this is an Op Ed obviously written by a die hard Pheu Thai supporter. It should not be presented as "News".

It should not be presented as "News".

Maybe not News ....but surely a reality ????

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1