Do I have to pay the Pu Yai Baan to come to the Amphur with me?

stubuzz

18 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I had wondered why anyone would want the job. It pays so little. But then I looked at it like a server in a restaurant that are paid little but make their money from the tips. You don't have to pay but most everyone does.

They get a salary plus ' bungs ' our Pu Yai Baan has just treated himself to a big fancy new tractor.

His wife also grows next to our land Sugar Cane, which she shouldn't be doing inside village areas.( not even her land) It's a well known No-No because it sucks all the water and nutrients out of the land, the chemicals involved and spraying plus the amount of bugs and pests it attracts,............ but she carries on regardless.

But of course, one rule for them and another for us.

They pretty much leave us alone unless it's festivals, or parades then they send their minions ' on the tap ' for cash.

Love the village life with the natives, me!...........Good job I have seven foot walls around the perimeter!

When we’ve had the involvement of the Pu Yai Baan we’ve given a small token of gratitude…

if could only find how much to give to <deleted> off the village loudspeakers….. we’re on outskirts of village 

and there’s a loudspeaker on the pole at next door neighbors…

22 hours ago, Elkski said:

Wasted part of my life.   What sort would post this?  It's a valid question.  

First off do the rules really require a pu yai to be there?  Or is this just another Thailand scam?

Keep in mind that there's rules and reegulatins and they are interpreted and applied differently in every province/town etc. That's life and it's not going to change.

Also keep in mind that there's very likey some local precedents about such things, possibly going back decades, and regardless of whether it's a written regulation.

As mentioned, go with the flow and offer a bottle of whisky.

• Thanks 1

Yes, you need to give him some money after your business is finished. If you haven't met him before, 500 Baht is appropriate. Let your wife give him the money. As a farang, you should never directly give 'bribes' to anyone (it can be misconstrued).

If someone is providing you with a service to enhance your life here it only seems sensible for them to receive an acknowledgement because of the service they have provided.

A small sum of money is nothing compared to you losing out on living here or obtaining documents that make your life easier.

Remember we are all guests and it isn't a good idea to upset your hosts.

Be humble and show respect, you'll find it goes along way here.

• Thanks 1