Weird practises at Thai banks

I've always been curious about what happens to all of the paper each bank transaction generates (and at immigration). Do they box up the copies of passports and other pages signed? Where does it go? I can't imagine the number of boxes of paper generated from the hundreds of customers from every branch in the country.

Does anyone know anyone who works at a bank who would know? How long do they keep it and where? And could they find a single sheet of paper later if required?

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

How long do they keep it and where? And could they find a single sheet of paper later if required?

Just last week I went in to BBL to cancel a direct debit.  They pulled out the paperwork used to set it up around 3 years ago in just a few minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I've always been curious about what happens to all of the paper each bank transaction generates (and at immigration). Do they box up the copies of passports and other pages signed? Where does it go? I can't imagine the number of boxes of paper generated from the hundreds of customers from every branch in the country.

Does anyone know anyone who works at a bank who would know? How long do they keep it and where? And could they find a single sheet of paper later if required?

I have an acct at the little Krungsri Branch in the CW/Bangkok Immigration Building...have had the acct for around a half dozen years.   Last year I went to the branch regarding a tax withholding issue....the rep went into their storage area and quickly produced all the paperwork they had kept on me since acct opening to include the tax withholding docs signed years ago.   Now I don't mean like a copy of your passport photo page when you make a withdrawal....I mean all the important paperwork like acct opening, withholding tax related....just anything of that nature.

And a ditto type thing occurred with the wife's acct at a small KrungThai Bank branch.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

My landlord wants a payslip.

With regard to your other thread on the Visas forum, why not tell him that you'll only give him a payslip if he'll give you a completed TM30?????

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

With regard to your other thread on the Visas forum, why not tell him that you'll only give him a payslip if he'll give you a completed TM30?????

LOL. You think, he'd go for that? I'd have to prove otherwise that I transferred the rent. And as for the other thread, I already had to pay a fine, as, unaware, I had not done a TM.30 instead of my landlord on the first day of the lease... TiT!

Edited by StayinThailand2much

7 hours ago, loong said:

Been a few years since I deposited money inside a bank (usually small amounts but up to 30,000 Baht), never been asked for my passport.

They will now as the practice started after you last made a deposit and I think that was more than 2 years ago. I think 3 - 4 years ago it started.

oh man, this topic could run and run; why so much paper and photocopying and stamping involved in banking? it's like the internet had never been invented. why don;t branch staff seemingly have authority to do anything, they are always having to ring head office... i could go one but thankfully i don't need to use my thai bank very often so i can cope with their idiosyncrasies

• Thumbs Up 1

If you sign up to use the banks mobile banking App you can transfer money to other bank accounts, without paying a fee.

Also you can pay your bills, PEA etc without going to the office or going to your bank or 7-11.

On 7/4/2023 at 9:27 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

To be fair, NO BANK wants to deal with the onerous FBAR reporting that the USA forces on foreign banks which open accounts for Americans. Just another example of overreach.

Oh, yawn. FBAR is a reporting system for American citizens with over $10k in foreign banks. You're apparently referring to FATCA, which Thailand has signed up to, and which has turned out to be non onerous -- and effective. But, quit blaming the Yanks -- the Europeans have the son of FATCA, namely, CRS. The whole world now is making it hard for those poor money launderers to thrive. So sad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Oh, yawn. FBAR is a reporting system for American citizens with over $10k in foreign banks. You're apparently referring to FATCA, which Thailand has signed up to, and which has turned out to be non onerous -- and effective. But, quit blaming the Yanks -- the Europeans have the son of FATCA, namely, CRS. The whole world now is making it hard for those poor money launderers to thrive. So sad.

I AM a “Yank” and the story I hear directly from bankers is that the FATCA system is a disaster and does nearly NOTHING to curb money laundering.  The irritating submissions I have to go through every year for merely having a bank account which receives my pension money, is absolutely INSANE.  The penalties for not submitting my paltry income information, are draconian.