Thai rainfall faces below-average levels as El Niño prompts dry spell

webfact

I guess we're upper southern or lower central, but all seems about normal here.   Late start, end of May.  

The telling point will be late Aug/Sept/Oct.   Last year I noticed very wet, and longer season, up to Nov.

Just now, Geoffggi said:

How about excavating where possible some of these water storage areas in preparation for when the rains do finally return or is forward planning not allowed .........LOL

You would think it easy to find construction companies around here who have a lot of experience digging holes and then leaving them!

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You would think it easy to find construction companies around here who have a lot of experience digging holes and then leaving them!

Was out yesterday on the scooter, and notice a few more private 'reservoirs' dug by residents, not the govt.

Haven't been out to the local lakes/reservoirs lately, but they were a bit low last time out there, April/May maybe;  Pranburi, Yang Chum & Khuean Khlong Bueng

13 minutes ago, huangnon said:

We had a much bigger than average rainfall last year, especially in Eastern Thailand.

So fair enough.

In Mahasarakham area the rain is below that of last year but still fair. 

I started up my Permaculture farm and we have one employee 70 years old who was telling us to invest a little money by renting the surrounding rice fields.

This old fellow is a real wealth of knowledge and he also said due to last year heavy rains we will face a year or two dry spells which are fully normal for that area.

As soon we did what he said he popped up with his family and a load of used blue pipes which he laid through the borders of the rice fields to our lake.

Lucky enough we have him, the result is more than satisfying... 

Lake before. (The lower clay step is about 4 meters)20221222_085037.thumb.jpg.742fbdc41f82419d22e5014b96d57a26.jpg

Lake now after a few rainy days

IMG-20230703-WA0004.jpg.c58e52e50eeb185180f01676c2026230.jpg

Well thought uncle... 

• Like 2

Quick peek and last year/PKK, was as wet as I thought.  With Oct being extremely wet.  Maybe another 300mm added on.

"October has historically been the province’s rainiest month, and during the first nine months of 2022, Prachuap Khiri Khan has already exceeded its full-year precipitation (10-year) average, which was about 1,113 mm.

According to data from the Thailand Meteorological Department (TMD), from January 1 to September 29, 2022 the province received 1,138.5 millimetres of rainfall, which is 44% higher than the 1995 baseline year-to-date “normal” value of 790.1mm."

Although their 1995 baseline year is a silly low one to pick, when yearly average is closer to 1162 m.

image.png.812bf706a201e752bec1f9be8bba6bce.png

WorldClimate / PKK

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

How about excavating where possible some of these water storage areas in preparation for when the rains do finally return or is forward planning not allowed .........LOL

Only thoughts are the money and the now...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

a significant proportion of the country has experienced a shortfall in expected rainfall. This includes the North, Northeast,

That surprises me as here in Khon Kaen we have had a lot of rain recently. Very heavy most of the time, not showery.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, loong said:

That surprises me as here in Khon Kaen we have had a lot of rain recently. Very heavy most of the time, not showery.

Not believing the news-blip either, as it's been raining everywhere we've gone, the past 6 weeks, some lite, some heavy, some all day. PKK, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phang-Nga,  Hua Hin, Krung Thep.

Only place where very little was Phuket.

Getting ready to rain here/PKK now.  And right on time, per forecast.

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

It's all about reaction instead of more practical proactive. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, loong said:

Well here in Pattaya we are certainly not getting much of the wet stuff....more like April/May heatwaves!

17 hours ago, loong said:

Some scattered rainstorms don't make a rainy season.

We live 80 km west and total rain is not overwhelming.

Reservoirs closed, irrigation channels dry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well here in Pattaya we are certainly not getting much of the wet stuff....more like April/May heatwaves!

Without a knee deep flooded Soi Buakhao there is nothing to be called rain ????

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Without a knee deep flooded Soi Buakhao there is nothing to be called rain ????

Yes a paddle down Soi Honey or ride with the water lapping around my ankles is a distant memory.....

Just now, jacko45k said:

Yes a paddle down Soi Honey or ride with the water lapping around my ankles is a distant memory.....

I arrived in 2011 (worst year in decades) and unknowingly drove to Pattaya in September.

Almost ruined my brand new car. Water around the ankles IN the car.

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

How do you drive "unknowingly"?

"unsuspecting" ????

2011 worst flood disaster in decades.

English is not my first language and sometimes I'd better look up the dictionary.

Edited by KhunBENQ