In the market for a new PC Keyboard

BenStark

I'm very happy with my Logitech MK295 "Silent Touch" keyboard, which sounds like a requirement for you.

It’s full size with a Num Pad.

Used daily, bought in Dec21, and still works flawlessly. It came packaged with a small wireless mouse, I prefer those as opposed to the standard size as they hurt my wrist after prolonged use. Less than B900 for the combo on Lazada back then.

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

I'm very happy with my Logitech MK295 "Silent Touch" keyboard, which sounds like a requirement for you.

It’s full size with a Num Pad.

Used daily, bought in Dec21, and still works flawlessly. It came packaged with a small wireless mouse, I prefer those as opposed to the standard size as they hurt my wrist after prolonged use. Less than B900 for the combo on Lazada back then.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have ordered this one.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3442580608-s12736634494.html?

I have had a few Logitech keyboards, the cheaper versions like MK220 and 270, in the past 20 years, and didn't really have complaints. If a 300 baht keyboard fails after 2-3 years, you don't have a reason to complain.

My last Logitech was an MK345, at about 900 baht if I recall correctly, and one of the mouse buttons started to fail after only 6 months, which I could fix with replacing the micro switch, but it failed again a few months later, and then also certain tabs on the keyboard started to stick or fail to respond, so it was ready for replacement.

I would not expect that from a 900 baht keyboard.

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have ordered this one.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3442580608-s12736634494.html?

I have had a few Logitech keyboards, the cheaper versions like MK220 and 270, in the past 20 years, and didn't really have complaints. If a 300 baht keyboard fails after 2-3 years, you don't have a reason to complain.

My last Logitech was an MK345, at about 900 baht if I recall correctly, and one of the mouse buttons started to fail after only 6 months, which I could fix with replacing the micro switch, but it failed again a few months later, and then also certain tabs on the keyboard started to stick or fail to respond, so it was ready for replacement.

I would not expect that from a 900 baht keyboard.

I think you were just unlucky with your MK345.

I also have two small Logitech K400+ that I use for TVs and they have been working great for years.
Good luck with your ROBOT keyboard, that was a nice price.

• Thanks 1

I didn't buy a fancy wireless keyboard(Logi K350) but I've learned to go over a certain price point otherwise the keyboard either won't work well or will crap out within a year. 

I wish I could remember the name of the store, but near or on the top floor of Central Festival(under the bowling alley) there's a really nifty store that has one row of wired and wireless keyboards/mice that are very reasonably priced. If mine ever conks out on me that's the first place I'm going for at least an "emergency" replacement. 

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

I have a keychron mechanical keyboard, I really like it. I can connect it to up to 3 devices.

They do a 10 key version.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k10-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

If you can’t wait so long, it might be an alternative.

They seem to be sold out, but thanks. 

I hate to buy a keyboard I can't try. I'm back using an old Dell that's not too bad. 

Does a wireless keyboard use more power/battery as it gets further away? 

Are the red, blue and brown colors universal. in that they if blue is "clicky" on one brand, it's the same on all brands? 

What is the benefit of "hot swapable" keys? 

Every time I start shopping I end up thinking, f this, it's not that bad yet. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BenStark said:

Connecting a wired keyboard to my PC would involve a 10 meter USB wire, going through 2 walls,

How do you connect your monitor(s) to the PC tower please?

7 hours ago, Furioso said:

or will crap out within a year

I have both Microsoft Keyboard 2000 combo, and a Logitech combo, each around the

Bht 2000 mark, and both working fine after 6 - 7 years.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Does a wireless keyboard use more power/battery as it gets further away? 

Are the red, blue and brown colors universal. in that they if blue is "clicky" on one brand, it's the same on all brands? 

What is the benefit of "hot swapable" keys? 

Every time I start shopping I end up thinking, f this, it's not that bad yet. 

I understand what you mean about trying a keyboard, they have physical stockists  https://keychronthailand.com/pages/where-to-buy I bought mine in a pre order and was quite a bit cheaper.

I was always under the impression that the colour keys used on all these mechanical keyboards were made by the same manufacturers. 

Not too sure about the hot swap feature, seems a bit of a gimmick. People pay a lot more for mechanical keyboards, these seem reasonably priced - I had a couple of Logitech keyboards like a k380, that would always stop working with dust and crumbs under the keys, I took a gamble on this company. The mechanical is a little high and took a little getting used to, but after that - it’s solid.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How do you connect your monitor(s) to the PC tower please?

You still can't be bothered to read? I explained already that I don't have a tower, and how I connect my monitor.

My PC is in another room, and with wiring in the walls, in my office there is only a control board with start button, USB ports and card reader, all built into the wall.

My monitor, which is a 55" LED screen that hangs on the wall, is connected to the PC by HDMI cable inserted in the wall when I built the house.

Behind the monitor is only a HDMI wall plate, which leads to the PC.

HDMI Wall Plate

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Unfortunately, Amazon US won't ship Logitech products to Thailland. 

I have had full size  Logitech MXKeys,  MXMechanical , and now an MXKeys S  - all purchased on Lazada and shipped from China with US Keyboard Layouts. While they are cheaper in the US the shipping costs would have been more than the keyboard from the US.  Typically arrived in 7-10 days - no problems.

I dont recommend the MXMechanical because the backlighting control is a mess and despite me being temporarily seduced by the current fashion for "real" clicking keyswitches it was noisy and less easy to type on. 

Both the MxKeys and MxKeys S are fine but dont order the MX Keys S in Silver/Grey (I did!)  because while it looks great, the contrast on the keys isnt good,  and under weird lighting the back light erases the characters.

If you are using Bluetooth any of them are fine but beware of Bolt which is Logitechs new "secure" dongle on the MX Mechanical and MXKeys S and newer  high end mice.   The new keyboards and mice are not compatible with Logitechs  old dongle, and the older keyboards and mice  wont work with the new dongle.  Logitech  dont seem to have enough confidence in Bolt to offer a USB C version and devices connected via Bolt cant check their firmware through it so it doesnt seem to be well supported yet if ever.  I use Bolt because  I have a standing desk and an aging PC  where Bluetooth stutters when its up in the air.  Bolt works OK  but so did the old dongle and I dont feel anymore secure.       

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You still can't be bothered to read? I explained already that I don't have a tower, and how I connect my monitor.

My PC is in another room, and with wiring in the walls, in my office there is only a control board with start button, USB ports and card reader, all built into the wall.

My monitor, which is a 55" LED screen that hangs on the wall, is connected to the PC by HDMI cable inserted in the wall when I built the house.

HDMI Wall Plate

You only have one monitor? (just kidding)

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You only have one monitor? (just kidding)

You encouraged me to look into that, so that I in rare cases can use my PC through the smart tv in my bedroom, and it seems there are options like HDMI over Ethernet

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You encouraged me to look into that, so that I in rare cases can use my PC through the smart tv in my bedroom, and it seems there are options like HDMI over Ethernet

If I was still working I'd have two for the desktop.

Thinking about getting a portable monitor so I can get rid of the laptop. You might look at those. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

HDMI Wall Plate

That is interesting. The big, (off topic) question for me is, why? 

1 minute ago, Muhendis said:

That is interesting. The big, (off topic) question for me is, why? 

That one was also already answered.

No noisy heat source with cables going everywhere in my office. Saves my quite some space as well, since the PC is mounted on the wall in the storage room, where router - Ethernet switches and everything else is located

On 7/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, KannikaP said:

How often do you move your keyboard relative to your PC/tower? Very rarely I guess, so why have a wireless one. Mouse, yes, because you move it slightly more.

Had both Logitech & Microsoft combos for years with no problems

I have to have a wireless one because my rabbits bite through the cable, usually when I'm using it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BenStark said:

That one was also already answered.

No noisy heat source with cables going everywhere in my office. Saves my quite some space as well, since the PC is mounted on the wall in the storage room, where router - Ethernet switches and everything else is located

Thank you for your answer.

Apologies for missing the earlier explanation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I'd like to get a Logitech with MX Keys but I need a 10-key, and I can't find one with an English keyboard. Next time in the US I guess. 

I bought mine here in Thailand off Lazada, it is the english only keys version! I don't think this model is available with Thai on the keys.

25 minutes ago, Soondae said:

I bought mine here in Thailand off Lazada, it is the english only keys version! I don't think this model is available with Thai on the keys.

What model is that? Does it have the 10-Key? 

On 7/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, Yellowtail said:

What model is that? Does it have the 10-Key? 

I'm not sure what you mean by the 10 key model, but here is the advertisement from the seller I purchased from. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3071735475-s11270146580.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=604605239993922&tradeOrderLineId=604605240093922&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

1 hour ago, Soondae said:

The numeric pad on the right. Laptops and smaller keyboards generally don't have it. 

• Thumbs Up 1