Occupation lockdown: Thailand’s Labour Ministry draws the line for foreigners, 27 out, 13 in the conditions

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Quite possibly she did not know this. There are surprising gaps in the average Thai’s knowledge about their own country it seems.

Agree most Thais don't know the visa rules, why would they, unless they are involved with 'falang'

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Cobblers!

Knife making?  I suppose I get the point, shoe making and hat making  if you want to keep one step "a head" of the opposition? I'll get my coat! (does that come under "dress making"?

4 hours ago, fdimike said:

Strange no mention of teaching English here in Thailand.

Its almost as if teaching english is on the banned list. My several experiences have been stressful and awkward so much so that I gave that line up. A pity really.  Imagine if Thai kindergarten had intensive english continued for 4 years. I could go on.... But i'll save my mouth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Nothing like official xenophobia to warm the cockles of an expats heart. 

I'm sure this policy has many western fans, wishing their own homeland was as hateful, not realising Thailand can kick us out tomorrow if the wrong guy gets to be PM. 

It could be worse; you could be in France.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I'm sure this policy has many western fans, wishing their own homeland was as hateful, not realising Thailand can kick us out tomorrow if the wrong guy gets to be PM. 

More about local countries coming in and nicking jobs. Personally wouldn’t fancy working in the heat for a fraction of what I can earn back home. One is of course not curtailed in doing certain trades in the oil industry, eg. 

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Many years ago I went to a barber shop, at the time I was married to a Thai and living in the UK

I noticed a younger guy who worked there maybe mid-thirties, sitting down and practice writing in Thai script trying to learn the language.

Talking about things he said he was sending money out every month and building a house for his future wife and family.

It was abrout 3/4 built with about 6 months more work and landscaping to do.

I asked him on what visa he was going to stay there and what what work he was going to do?

He said get a multi entry visa then later a marriage visa and open a barber shop nearby.

I asked if he had the required bank deposit required for the marriage visa.... what deposit he asked?

I then told him he wouldn't get a work permit as being a barber was a restricted profession.

To say he didn't know about any of this and his g/f hadn't said anything came as quite a shock to him.

why am I not surprised that the GF said nothing!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Get it through your heads guys, we are NOT appreciated, welcome or wanted in this country, at best, we're tolerated, and anyone thinking differently are just deluding themselves.

I am wanted, needed and more than tolerated. Just not by the authorities. 

59 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I admire the Thai immigration policy.

They have it set up to benefit their own country -- as it should.

Yet, if that is so then why are many of the jobs not staffed by Thai's and migrant workers are doing them?  My GF is a Paul Mitchell trained hair stylist and colorist.  She had her own shop before Covid and employed 3 Thai ladies.  Covid caused her to close and then she went out of business.  She then picked up a job as a teacher at a training school for barbers and stylists.  Last February when the Korean man was caught and arrested for running his own shop and styling hair, this reverberated through the Area in BKK and anyone not Thai was told they could not cut hair or work in a salon unless they were just a cleaner.  Why if one is trained and has certificates can one not work in the profession I have indicated above.  No waiver is available.

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

I admire the Thai immigration policy.

They have it set up to benefit their own country -- as it should.

But its not benefitting the country.  Foreign workers and technology and know how would make society better off as whole.  I guess I may be wrong if you value tradition over progression. So i do accept any counter argument as valid. But,   One example is roads and road safety.  Get the Norwegians and Germans in to fix that. Why would you not? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

....and there in lies the problem! I would call it lazy or complacent! How can a population of near 70 million in such a small country be short of labor??? ????

Yes no shortage, but a real shortage of get up and go, my local Bar in Issan has been looking for staff for 2 months, kitchen and front of house, nobody is interested,  the 2 that started didn't like the no phone policy

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Many years ago I went to a barber shop, at the time I was married to a Thai and living in the UK

I noticed a younger guy who worked there maybe mid-thirties, sitting down and practice writing in Thai script trying to learn the language.

Talking about things he said he was sending money out every month and building a house for his future wife and family.

It was abrout 3/4 built with about 6 months more work and landscaping to do.

I asked him on what visa he was going to stay there and what what work he was going to do?

He said get a multi entry visa then later a marriage visa and open a barber shop nearby.

I asked if he had the required bank deposit required for the marriage visa.... what deposit he asked?

I then told him he wouldn't get a work permit as being a barber was a restricted profession.

To say he didn't know about any of this and his g/f hadn't said anything came as quite a shock to him.

If he is that short-sighted he has a rough road ahead of him in the Kingdom.

Makes me wonder if he is making a similarly blind move with his pending marriage.

I'm not sure about truth setting one free but know for sure ignorance can make life rough.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chalawaan said:

The Thai government must protect the Thais....not the Farangs. It is not nice for us.....but they don't need to be nice.

That is not xenophobia that is protection. I wish my European country would do the same.

2 hours ago, Almer said:

Yes no shortage, but a real shortage of get up and go, my local Bar in Issan has been looking for staff for 2 months, kitchen and front of house, nobody is interested,  the 2 that started didn't like the no phone policy

We were looking for a cleaning woman for 2 years....One that cleans and not only chats all day....Doesn't need to clean like a maniac, but these did not do anything.

I agree that this is itself not a new thing - but been around in this more or less form for years and years..

that said, I also think that it’s fair for a government of country X to seek to employ it’s own nationals in domestic jobs before those of non-citizens.. but.. I don’t think it should be hard “no” either …

for example, if a job classification is deemed “for domestic hire only” then before an employer can legally hire a non-citizen, I do think that they should have to reasonably prove to the government that despite a fair effort, no suitably qualified citizen either exists within X range of the job and has applied, or a the job requires a specialized skill that is lacking in the domestic labour pool.

6 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

It could be worse; you could be in France.

Or.....any Anglophone country. 

Ever examined their [collective mindset] their foreign immigration/visa laws and regulations? 

10 hours ago, pollyog said:

legal services are not permitted by foreigners, yet there are definitely foreign lawyers working here, in Bangkok, Phuket, etc.  and have been for years.  

Foreigners are permitted to work as consultants in the legal profession here, they are not allowed to practise law, per se, or represent clients in court.