Soi Cowboy: Crackdown on Drugs, Guns, Human Trafficking, Child Abuse

webfact

So  I count 14 cops to bust 2 employees, out of 123 people.

for one horrible scary moment I thought they might have prostitution, as if. 

sad to say but if they checked 123 young people anywhere they'd probably find more than that and guns. IMO

Edited by brianthainess

On 7/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Used to be the late night expat hangout in the mid to late 90's and early 00's. I was down there nearly every night! Saw Trink many times on our travels!

Some great bars down there; Pam's, Shark, Dollhouse, Cactus, Five Star, The Old Dutch, Penny Black upstairs etc...

All turned into a bit of a tourist trap neon wonderland now. The charm has definitely been lost.

Don't forget Shadow, Darling Bar, Our Place, Blue Bar, Black & White ......  ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, save the frogs said:

who reads these things or even cares about or remembers the bar owners? 

Well you might do if you had been shot by one, been threatened, had your Mrs followed and been blackmailed by one!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where else can you go out for an evening beer and be surrounded by police raiding the bar.

Or be enjoying your favorite beer when the police sweep in and require everyone to pee into cups for drug testing....

That definitely would have been the highlight of my vacation!

---------------------

A long long time ago, I was at a mostly Thai night club in Hua Hin when the local police arrived to do one of those raids. Of course, all the announcements were in Thai, so I didn't at first understand what was going on.....

At time passed, I came to understand what what occurring. I don't and didn't do drugs, so I didn't have anything to worry about. But I also didn't fancy pissing in a cup for Thai police...

So, at one point, as the Thais were lining up for their cups, I just walked out the front door and no one stopped me, so I went on my way.... 

And we sometimes wonder how all too often, the suspects in this or that case manage to evade the surrounding Thai police.

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

TAT can spin it as a tourist attraction. Where else can you go out for an evening beer and be surrounded by police raiding the bar. Other times, they arrive and close them all down at midnight for no other reason than that they can.

Hence Pattaya if family friendly   kids eat free!  ping pong!

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, at one point, as the Thais were lining up for their cups, I just walked out the front door and no one stopped me, so I went on my way.... 

And we sometimes wonder how all too often, the suspects in this or that case manage to evade the surrounding Thai police.

I've sometimes read of people being rounded up from a bar or club and put in the back of a police pick-up (riding in the back of a pick-up is actually illegal, but we don't expect the police to obey the law, do we). And when they arrive at the police station everyone just jumps off and runs away. I love this country. It's like living in a lunatic asylum. Sometimes it's dangerous but it also provides plenty of laughs from the antics of the inmates.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, garygooner said:

Don't forget Shadow, Darling Bar, Our Place, Blue Bar, Black & White ......  ????

We still have Moonshine, almost unchanged in years, plus Jungle Jim's, Fanny's, they are last of their kind in SC

44 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't know if it is true, but rumour has it that a very large and "unsubtle" bar adjacent to "Soi Cowboy" is owned by the constabulary. Could it be that the competition needed to be quietened down?

I don't think it's a rumour.  It's well known that Crazy House has police ownership connections. A fun gogo to visit.

18 hours ago, Seppius said:

We still have Moonshine, almost unchanged in years, plus Jungle Jim's, Fanny's, they are last of their kind in SC

They are but the rest of the bars, clientele, and attitude of the staff puts me off going these days.

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't know if it is true, but rumour has it that a very large and "unsubtle" bar adjacent to "Soi Cowboy" is owned by the constabulary. Could it be that the competition needed to be quietened down?

Several of the bars are owned by the Police. 

54 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They are but the rest of the bars, clientele, and attitude of the staff puts me off going these days.

Changed so much since the good old 90s. Much more fun & easy-going back then. Also about 95% of customers were westerners.