Thai Senior Immigration Officer Vows to Purge the Country of All Overstayers Within Three Months

webfact

10 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Amazing Thailand ! nothing amazes me anymore with regards to such announcements there are 1,000s of overstayers first stop should be Phuket around the Russian area 

I dont think there is 1000's of O/S, do you have any evidence regarding Russians, there is a lot in Rawai lets see 

On 7/8/2023 at 2:49 AM, webfact said:

Immigration officers would be deployed regularly to conduct on-site passport checks at places, especially entertainment venues nationwide, and businesses would be required to report the accommodation of foreign individuals to the officers. 

On 7/8/2023 at 5:39 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like they will be also rounding up the migrants working without passports, extensions of stays or other needed documents to be in the country. Many H-So households better keep there housekeepers, maids, or Gardners inside and hidden. Factories will be loosing workers it would appear. This isn't just about tourists and expats I am afraid.  

Oh dear me, has a certain lassitude crept in to the approach to the informal fiscal practices in these areas? Revenue below expectations? A tightening up needed?

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, mikebell said:

Having just mastered the on-line 90 day reporting; can anyone justify the requirement to take my up-dated 800K bankbook for a personal visit after getting my annual extension? 

The Extension requirement is that you maintain 800k for 3 months after renewal, or you would be in default of the Extension requirements. Jomtien, (and one or two other offices) have made up the need to prove it has been complied with at that juncture. There is not actually an order to do that. Not related to 90 day address reporting.......(also not required if an agent got the extension either). 

Edited by jacko45k

but it is so clear how thailand can change....before covid i was stopped on motorbike in pattaya almost every few days...and checked for drivers licence.....but when i cam back after covid....you did not even need a helmet for <deleted> sake....and they stopped me only once in 5 months...before they stopped me like 20 times.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, parafareno said:

it would be great to lie on pattaya beach without being surrounded by bloated russian grannies screaming Harasho, Harasho, Putin Is Great.......  give us back the beach.... we dont need whales with vodka problems....

I recall when we last had a surge of Russians come here years ago, I had issues a couple of times with them trying to get in front of me at supermarket checkouts..... not had that happen, so these must be polite and well mannered Russians. 

I'm aways amazed how easy it seems for a tourist to overstay. Passport has a stamp with date permitted to stay and every hotel must submit a TM30 with passport details for every foreigner that stays in their hotel. 

If TM30 worked the only way for a tourist to get away with overstay is by living on the street (should be easy to find) or staying with friends in their home, which means the home owner is now breaking the law by not submitting the TM30

So in summary, scrap the TM30 as it's obviously not fit for function and is a pain in the <deleted> for the rest of us that are not over stayers ???? 

Edited by Pattaya57

33 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I'm aways amazed how easy it seems for a tourist to overstay. Passport has a stamp with date permitted to stay and every hotel must submit a TM30 with passport details for every foreigner that stays in their hotel. 

If TM30 worked the only way for a tourist to get away with overstay is by living on the street (should be easy to find) or staying with friends in their home, which means the home owner is now breaking the law by not submitting the TM30

So in summary, scrap the TM30 as it's obviously not fit for function and is a pain in the <deleted> for the rest of us that are not over stayers ???? 

there lies the problem, the TM30 so the next time they need to extend their visa they dont bother and go into O/S, I think it would be better to drop that TM30 nonsense,  

Just now, ChipButty said:

there lies the problem, the TM30 so the next time they need to extend their visa they dont bother and go into O/S, I think it would be better to drop that TM30 nonsense,  

Now and again, I believe it proves it's worth by helping catch some bad boys...... personally, I have never done a TM30 for myself, and been here many years! Not sure it forces tourists into overstay.... most know nothing about the requirement. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There is not actually an order to do that.

So what are the consequences if I don't do it?  On previous occasions when I've handed in the form + photo-copies, they've snatched it without looking.  My 800K is in a fixed saving account and I never touch it.  Normally I just grit my teeth but this year I will be away on the demand date.

Can anyone understand the fine logic for overstay. If you surrender at airport it's 500 baht per day with a maximum of 20,000. That's 40 days, so staying an additional 50 days has no extra penalty, if you're in for 40 might as well do 90 days (91 days give 1 year ban)

I guess there is the stress of an extra 50 days not being caught, which would then give a 5 year ban

Edited by Pattaya57

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

So what are the consequences if I don't do it?  On previous occasions when I've handed in the form + photo-copies, they've snatched it without looking.  My 800K is in a fixed saving account and I never touch it.  Normally I just grit my teeth but this year I will be away on the demand date.

Theoretically, they check if you complied when you do your next extension anyhow.. I have not heard of anyone getting any punishment for not doing a 3 month bank report..  then again, who wants to tempt fate! I once never got told to do mine.. so didn't, no issue. Since then I got lazy and pay an agent to do the legwork... all works well. 

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I recall when we last had a surge of Russians come here years ago, I had issues a couple of times with them trying to get in front of me at supermarket checkouts..... not had that happen, so these must be polite and well mannered Russians. 

I have the same experience.. The russians before covid, i find alot of them to not be polite. But after covid, (and the war started) I find russians to be more polite in pattaya. so its not only me who experience this..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

didnt the crazed russkie trash the 7/11 store recently on beach road?

Edited by parafareno

Technically you are on overstay, not only when your Permit to stay has expired, but also when you do not meet the conditions under which that Permit to stay has been provided.  So those that made use of an Agent to circumvent the 'funds in bank' requirement, are technically on overstay from the moment their Permit to stay was provided. 

As long as the envisioned Immigration raids only focus on showing your Passport with the Permit to stay stamp, there would be little to worry about when having made use of that Agent service.  However, the Visa or extension Permit to stay stamp from an easy up-country Imm Office, would be already a give-away in their Passports that the holder is not meeting the requirements.  I hope it never happens, but it would become a real blood-bath when Immigration would require those Non Imm O (retirement) Visa and extension holders, to come to the Imm Office with their passports and Bank Passbook to provide proof that they met the financial requirements.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:49 AM, webfact said:

Immigration officers would be deployed regularly to conduct on-site passport checks at places, especially entertainment venues nationwide (...)

I'm sure tourists will love that! Well, just another way to eliminate overstays; by discouraging people to come...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Technically you are on overstay, not only when your Permit to stay has expired, but also when you do not meet the conditions under which that Permit to stay has been provided.  So those that made use of an Agent to circumvent the 'funds in bank' requirement, are technically on overstay from the moment their Permit to stay was provided. 

As long as the envisioned Immigration raids only focus on showing your Passport with the Permit to stay stamp, there would be little to worry about when having made use of that Agent service.  However, the Visa or extension Permit to stay stamp from an easy up-country Imm Office, would be already a give-away in their Passports that the holder is not meeting the requirements.  I hope it never happens, but it would become a real blood-bath when Immigration would require those Non Imm O (retirement) Visa and extension holders, to come to the Imm Office with their passports and Bank Passbook to provide proof that they met the financial requirements.

ok, maybe send a detailed guide by PM on what a load of rubbish you just said

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I guess there is the stress of an extra 50 days not being caught, which would then give a 5 year ban.

It depends whether you want to return to Thailand later, or not. I would not overstay in a country that I would want to visit again and, possibly, would require me to apply for visas or visa extensions. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

13 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

If TM30 worked the only way for a tourist to get away with overstay is by living on the street (should be easy to find) or staying with friends in their home, which means the home owner is now breaking the law by not submitting the TM30.

I stayed at two apartment buildings where the owner did not do the TM.30. Also, thanks to a recent visit to Immigration, I got the impression that some hotels don't do them either.

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I hope it never happens, but it would become a real blood-bath when Immigration would require those Non Imm O (retirement) Visa and extension holders, to come to the Imm Office with their passports and Bank Passbook to provide proof that they met the financial requirements.

You have to show your bank book to do anything at CW L section now.

10 hours ago, parafareno said:

didnt the crazed russkie trash the 7/11 store recently on beach road?

I saw  many bad examples when we first got them 8 or so years ago, before the rouble took a nosedive from parity, a daily feature. Even women struggling with paralytic men at the airport..... I wondered that they would be even allowed on a plane. 

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

stayed at two apartment buildings where the owner did not do the TM.30. Also, thanks to a recent visit to Immigration, I got the impression that some hotels don't do them either.

Seems that is where Immigration's focus should be, rather than trying to catch overstayers by raiding Go Go bars.

On 7/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, Classic Ray said:

This is not such a silly idea. A wrist bracelet with QR code giving ID details and departure date could be affixed at port of arrival, allowing any official or hotel operator with a smartphone camera to interrogate the official immigration records. If you get an extension you get a new bracelet. All paid for by the arrival tax. 

And released from Thailand on good behavior