My new Thai gf (35/f) invited me (42/m) to visit her family in Isaan after < 1 month of dating? I feel uncomfortable but agreed. What do you think?

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@AventurasEnMadrid

can't wait till she brings up the Sin Sot, and no Thai person would pay for someone with kids already.  That should really let you see things clearly.

There will be a nice piece of land of hers or family you can build on, or buy something new in 'her' name.

RUN

True! But too early in the relationship for that !

For the consideration she’s got two kids . This drastically lowers the sinsot contribution !

Its in his favor.

imop

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

True! But too early in the relationship for that !

For the consideration she’s got two kids . This drastically lowers the sinsot contribution !

Its in his favor.

imop

I doesn't lower it, it illuminated even asking for it.

Who pays extra for used, when you can rent or buy new.  Then if she wants to have a kid with him, just became a family of 4, without the hanger ons...

... RUN

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the typical yob insurance

I think it's cheeky

Go along, pay for everything not out of line

Consider it a learning experience on many levels

Now you know the score you need not repeat this with another

Go find a different and younger woman

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Come on now some women like commitment, you look for one's who don't, so ok for you.

I am since forever together with my gf. Most of the time we are happy and likely we will stay together until we die. In the time since we are together, I saw lots of couples marry and then divorce. It seems the marriage didn't help. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But do you want that? Especially in Thailand.

It might be nice to be married to a woman from a rich family. But imagine you have some misunderstanding. And she tells her dad that you are so mean to her. Now what will her rich, and probably influential dad do?

If you’re afraid of her father I don’t recommend starting the relationship at all.

Edited by JimTripper

Has to be a wind up

Six pages of yada yada yada but OP only ever made the original post

If not a troll then pretty sad state of affairs when a 42 year old man needs relationship advice

on a public forum & cannot decide on a simple matter of visiting GF's family or not

Ok I'll play along.....

My Advice would be for this girl to run from this sorry excuse of a man ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, BangkokReady said:

He might not have put it very tactfully, but there are many, many reasons not to take on another man's kids.  Especially if you're still reasonably young yourself.

Agree, its politically incorrect to say like the way he did it, but if you are being totally sensible , the thought should.come.into your mind.

Like saying its advisable not to date a woman who has had 3 husbands and 6 kids 

On 7/8/2023 at 3:19 AM, AventurasEnMadrid said:

My new gf, divorced and working for an insurance company in Bangkok and a mother of 2 young children that live with her parents (children’s grandparents) in a city in Isaan wants me to visit her family for the weekend .  She actually invited me the first time after only 1 week of dating but I turned her down then. This time I feel a bit uncomfortable but have agreed. Fwiw, I have been supporting her financially somewhat as well and her son is sick with long COVID, but have explained that there are limits. There are several other red flags I am feeling in the relationship but do feel I love her. Feedback welcome. Thank you everyone

My new Thai gf took me to another city After7 days to meet the whole clan. Whatever. You have to admit it if she is a vacation fling. 

From what you are doing she might think marriage is in the works.  That is what usually happens when they want you to meet the parents. 
You say you think you love her.. The relationship is less than one month.  You need to get to know her more.  You might right now like her, be attracted, and infatuated.  But a true love.  You need more time. And you already have questions about certain things about her. 
What you are doing to help her is over and above for a very short time in the relationship. 

My suggestion would say to her you will meet her parents.  But make it clear you are doing out of courtesy.  Not for a quick marriage.  
And maybe you should talk to her about these negative things you don’t want to mention.  You don’t want to have a relationship with questions in your mind. Or lack of trust . 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, AventurasEnMadrid said:

My new gf, divorced and working for an insurance company in Bangkok and a mother of 2 young children that live with her parents (children’s grandparents) in a city in Isaan wants me to visit her family for the weekend .  She actually invited me the first time after only 1 week of dating but I turned her down then. This time I feel a bit uncomfortable but have agreed. Fwiw, I have been supporting her financially somewhat as well and her son is sick with long COVID, but have explained that there are limits. There are several other red flags I am feeling in the relationship but do feel I love her. Feedback welcome. Thank you everyone

Think of it in a different way, up to now she has "hopefully been honest" with you regarding herself and family back home.

You are unsure of how far you wish to pursue this relationship.

Go to her parents under the understanding it's a casual meeting without any promises.

Assess the situation for yourself then make your decision if you wish to continue the relationship or bail-out.

Realise if you want IN... there are no financial limits... you're IN the family or OUT.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 4:27 PM, Myran said:

"after < 1 month of dating"

"but do feel I love her"

You can't love someone that you don't know, and getting to know someone on that level takes considerable time. Considering you're just a month in and already giving her money and getting invited to the family, it doesn't really sound promising.

Only you can decide what works for you, but it's not a relationship I would take any further.

Long covid sounds fishy.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think finding a good woman requires a proper qualification process. Taking a long time to make a determination to see if she is worthy of your time, and devotion, is always a good idea. See what she is made of. See what kind of heart and soul she has.

Took me 5 years to find out that the women I first lived with wasn't worth my time. She was a good woman, but not right for me.

You try to make it like we can have auditions for a partner, but life isn't like that.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

All these warnings that the family will likely descend upon the OP with endless financial hardship stories and conniving invitations to go sightseeing at the local Big C Supercenter, as amusing and entertaining as they are, are mostly just bar stool tales which have been embellished and handed down over the years. 

The chances of the OP encountering this behavior on an initial visit are pretty slim. Everyone is going to be on their best behavior. The girlfriend will be keeping everyone on a short leash, not only so as to not scare the OP off, but to make sure she remains the main beneficiary of his generosity.

Yes, happened to me.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He doesn't owe any sin sod on a woman with children. At the most give something for show and get it back after ( what I did ).

I don't get what is so funny about that. It's a fact he doesn't have to give sinsod for a woman with kids.