The price war on EVs may harm interests of customers

The CEO of the Volkswagen Group's Chinese operations, Ralf Brandstätter, has warned of recent developments within the electric vehicle market, suggesting high capital investment and discounting “will ultimately harm the interests of consumers”.

In an address at the 2023 China Automobile Forum hosted by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers in Shanghai, Brandstätter said the electric vehicle market is “overheating”.

“Currently, there are more than 120 car makers within the [electric vehicle] market, and about 150 new models will be launched in 2023. Intense market competition and high battery prices make them face severe economic pressure. Short-term sales success requires extremely high capital investment,” he said.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody ever asked me, so please don't say 'we'.

But if you did ask me, nuclear, oil, gas and coal are the most sensible fuels to use in temperate climates.

Volkswagen and Fanta ....... two Nazi created companies whose products I will never use.

Fanta is a brand of the American Coca Cola company.  It was created during WW2 and Coca Cola profited handsomely from selling it in Nazi Germany during the war.

22 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Absolutely that video is fake news, it's why I called your post.

From the others idea of the coin so to speak....

"So take the YouTuber's allegations with a pinch of salt. They reportedly belong to a failed car-sharing service called Microcity, which had thousands of Kandi 11 models, as documented by the Chinese state-owned newspaper People's Daily."

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

From the others idea of the coin so to speak....

"So take the YouTuber's allegations with a pinch of salt. They reportedly belong to a failed car-sharing service called Microcity, which had thousands of Kandi 11 models, as documented by the Chinese state-owned newspaper People's Daily."

It would appear this field of cars is more of a failure of car sharing (Car rental without anyone cleaning of making sure the car is in A1 condition ready for next Rental)

Their growth was sparked partially by attempting to cash in on the sharing economy (even though, again, this is closer to rental than sharing) 

https://www.scmp.com/abacus/tech/article/3029238/thousands-shared-electric-cars-seen-discarded-hangzhou

Edited by vinny41
added url
  • Thumbs Up 2

Of the nearly 850,000 new cars registered in Thailand last year, only around 1% were EVs, according to government data. But between January and April this year, that proportion rose to more than 6%.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/china-led-ev-boom-thailand-threatens-japans-grip-key-market-2023-07-09/#:~:text=Of the nearly 850%2C000 new,rose to more than 6%.

For some brands that sell both EV's and ICE I suspect they are not fussed on what you buy so long as its a vehicle from their Brands

I suspect when EV's reach a total share of the market of 25-30% of sales that we will see a fightback from ICE brands a major cost cutting promotion to undercut EV sales

EV price cuts occurred today in China

GM cuts Lyriq EV price in China by 14% as market pressures intensify

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/gm-cuts-lyriq-ev-price-china-by-14-after-vw-discounts-2023-07-10/

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Of the nearly 850,000 new cars registered in Thailand last year, only around 1% were EVs, according to government data. But between January and April this year, that proportion rose to more than 6%.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/china-led-ev-boom-thailand-threatens-japans-grip-key-market-2023-07-09/#:~:text=Of the nearly 850%2C000 new,rose to more than 6%.

For some brands that sell both EV's and ICE I suspect they are not fussed on what you buy so long as its a vehicle from their Brands

I suspect when EV's reach a total share of the market of 25-30% of sales that we will see a fightback from ICE brands a major cost cutting promotion to undercut EV sales

EV price cuts occurred today in China

GM cuts Lyriq EV price in China by 14% as market pressures intensify

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/gm-cuts-lyriq-ev-price-china-by-14-after-vw-discounts-2023-07-10/

Interesting #s in first half of post ... the 1% & 6%

Somehow, in my mine, I'm equating that to the 1% & 5%'ers of the higher income levels of people that control something like 70-80% of finances.

Maybe they are just a wee bit smarter with their finances, and how they acquired so much.

Using that same savvy business & financial sense, in their transport choices.

Always good to be the dumbest person in the room ...

... as long as you are learning.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:32 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Fake news

I have just watched an interesting Vlog on EV by The Mac Master (YouTube) on how much monies he has lost on his EV in the first year. Suggest you EV peeps have a good look at his vlog and then comment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't know about the 'mac master', and his situation outside of TH.  For me it's been win win, and ROI will pay off in a very short time.

Invested to upgrade to an EV.   My ICEv's 2 yr depreciation was about 10% more than I'd prefer, but sold that for ฿400k

EV ฿949K - 400K = ฿549K 

Insured value if totaled ฿960k ????????

฿549k ÷ ฿35 (petrol price) = 15,685 L of 91

ROI after 220k kms (15,685 X 14kp/L)

About 10 yrs or less for us, and the cost to upgrade, paid for itself, not counting the 20 oil changes, 5 ish total tune ups avoided.  Along with exhaust system upkeep.

That's without spending another ฿549k for petrol, and at today's prices.

If getting just half the expected battery life, (900k kms) and still having 70-80% capacity, the wife is good for another 10+ yrs of almost free transport.  After that, she can add the 10-25kWh of battery left to the solar system, if the rest of the car kraps out, selling the motor of course.

Someone want to point out those negatives again, because I missed them.

LFP Battery cycle.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

That video is actually using a failed car sharing's stock of cars seen here https://www.scmp.com/abacus/tech/article/3029238/thousands-shared-electric-cars-seen-discarded-hangzhou and misrepresenting it as the manufacturer stockpiling.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

So which is the correct video link?

The one that you provided or the one that I provided.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So which is the correct video link?

The one that you provided or the one that I provided.

The guy in the link you posted (Winston Sterzel) has been discredited as a China hater, he can't go to China, hasn't been there in years.  Most of his videos are anti-China.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The guy in the link you posted (Winston Sterzel) has been discredited as a China hater, he can't go to China, hasn't been there in years.  Most of his videos are anti-China.

And that makes him wrong?

YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

That video is actually using a failed car sharing's stock of cars seen here https://www.scmp.com/abacus/tech/article/3029238/thousands-shared-electric-cars-seen-discarded-hangzhou and misrepresenting it as the manufacturer stockpiling.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

35 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There are two sides to the discarded EV story in China.

1. Cars dumped from failed schemes subsidised by the government.
2. Cars registered then dumped in fields so that manufacturers can meet government subsidy numbers.

The video in question clearly shows both sides of the story and then goes on to talk about environmental issues. Those struggling to understand should listen carefully as the video makes the transition at 3:36.

I guess one can expect videos like these to come under heavy attack from Chinaboo's and the army of online soldiers paid to keep China looking squeaky clean.

The creator of said video Winston Sterzel; has quite the story to tell about his China adventure which includes the making of Conquering Southern China (8.4 IMDB rating). I have only scratched the surface but it quickly becomes apparent that he fled China with his Chinese wife not because he hates China or its people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's of cause you don't add on the deprecation of an EV against and Diesel lump. Here a diesel car will hold their price big time. Then there's the added time on trips to take into consideration. + the cost of coffee +++ while you wait for the thing to charge. (Not even going down the route of one having to go slower due to the Electric used if one travels fast) + As you say EV are a lot more expensive to start with.

I can do a trip in My Diesel 2.8lt Tuna say to Pattaya a distance of some 500km from where I live in 5.5 hours with a coffee/snack stop.  Oh I can do that return trip with one 5 Min: fill up tank of fuel. Try that in an EV.

I will give you if you travel short journeys and charge at home you might get you monies back in say 5 + years. Then we are back to deprecation. Question. How much will you get back if you tried to sell your EV in say 5 years??? An answer no one seems to know at present.

Edited by fredob43
  • Thanks 1