Thailand braces for 150,000 dengue fever cases

webfact

image.jpeg

Health authorities in Thailand issued a warning about a potentially significant outbreak of dengue fever in the country. Predicted figures from the Department of Disease Control (DDC) suggest that up to 150,000 instances of infection may occur by year-end.

Opas Karnkawinpong, the permanent secretary for public health, yesterday confirmed that this year has already seen a significant rise in dengue cases, with numbers exceeding 30,000 and resulting in 33 fatalities. Dr Opas was speaking at a seminar titled “Dengue: Effective Action for Treatment and Prevention,” held at Rajavithi Hospital.

He said…

“The ministry is highly concerned about the increasing number of dengue infections. They may reach up to 150,000 cases this year if preventive measures fail.”

Dr Opas noted a shift in the demographic typically affected by the virus. Historically, children were most commonly infected, but now, the disease is also becoming widespread among adults and older members of the population. This could potentially be due to a lack of immunity in adults and older people who have previously not had the disease.

by Mitch Connor

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-braces-for-150000-dengue-fever-cases

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I like the ones with a high voltage grid cage, that give a satisfying electrical ZAP when  mozzies gets sparked, 

Yes, different bulb with not the same wavelengths for mosquitoes, but good for most other bugs outside. Zappers make it hard to sleep at night. This one is quiet, and works the best on mosquitoes.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

Yes, different bulb with not the same wavelengths for mosquitoes, but good for most other bugs outside. Zappers make it hard to sleep at night. This one is quiet, and works the best on mosquitoes.

Well it doesn't go in a bedroom. I had a much cheaper one similar to what is shown there, but with a little couple of LEDs and fan.. powered with a USB connector, wasn't particularly effective. Me and mozzies have a long history.....bought one when I first came here with a 12 inch black light tube, and HV grid, looked like a bird cage. 

Edited by jacko45k

53 minutes ago, Foek said:

Government not spraying enough, haven't seen them in my village for years.

Always the government, like a broken record, couldn't possibly be the local authority.

They come round here with monotonous regularity, now we have actually had some rain expect them any day.

36 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

I use these mosquito traps, about 1000 baht, inside the house. Can order it online from a retailer that starts with ‘L’. Special bulb, not an LED, has a fan that sucks them into the trap where they dry out. Extremely effective. 

IMG_7347.jpeg

IMG_7348.jpeg

How long is that mosquito grave...a month or something ?

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Getting Dengue is one way of losing weight, I ended up in hospital for 5 days I think I was a day away from being put in ICU, 

For some reason it affects people differently. I had a really thumping headache for a few days but there is no real treatment other than trying to relieve the symptoms. I went and had a platlet count at a local clinic and that wasn't too bad, wouldn't want to go through it again.

If it deteriorates into hemorrhagic fever, a different ball  game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

For some reason it affects people differently. I had a really thumping headache for a few days but there is no real treatment other than trying to relieve the symptoms. I went and had a platlet count at a local clinic and that wasn't too bad, wouldn't want to go through it again.

If it deteriorates into hemorrhagic fever, a different ball  game.

might be something to do with the different strains, im told 5 different ones 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

might be something to do with the different strains, im told 5 different ones 

I could see that between different countries but I would have thought that in any particular area it was the same virus being passed around. Also from what I gather is that if there were several strains in the same area the death toll would be higher.

I got it in Pattaya and my niece got it 3 months previous, not that far away, and she was hospitalised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Getting Dengue is one way of losing weight, I ended up in hospital for 5 days I think I was a day away from being put in ICU, 

same  10 lbs in 5 days    wound up in CM ram for 4 days....was bad...took me 6 weeks to recover

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I could see that between different countries but I would have thought that in any particular area it was the same virus being passed around. Also from what I gather is that if there were several strains in the same area the death toll would be higher.

I got it in Pattaya and my niece got it 3 months previous, not that far away, and she was hospitalised.

Possible, lets say the first time you get strain A and the next time you get strain D the virus fight against each other in your body, well something like that

32 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Possible, lets say the first time you get strain A and the next time you get strain D the virus fight against each other in your body, well something like that

Yes, I believe the risk of hemorrhagic fever is higher if you get another strain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Had it as well, was mis-diagnosed....horric infection so it is...and if you get it a 2nd time you can lose limbs organ failure...is that right ?

You can get dengue haemorrhagic fever from a second infection with a different serotype. Not good. 

yes

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:
  6 hours ago, sandyf said:

For some reason it affects people differently. I had a really thumping headache for a few days

That's it?

I've heard horror stories.

Sounds like you got a lucky break.

How were you tested? 

I expect the calls for blood donations will be coming soon. I think I heard through Richard Barrow that us Brits can now donate blood in Thailand too, so I'll be waiting for the announcements to finally donate my rh A- blood. 

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

That's it?

I've heard horror stories.

I can't speak for him but let me describe my 4-day headache from my dengue infection last year.

The headache was no worse than the migraines I often get. But no matter what there was no relief for 4 days, except if I sat in a almost boiling shower. But the relief only lasted in the shower and 10 minutes after it. That brief period was the only chance I had to fall asleep. 

So for 4 days and 4 nights, I went back and forth to the shower every 30 minutes or so. I felt so exhausted from the pain and lack of sleep, that I gave up even drying myself off from the shower. I would just walk to my bed soaked wet and drop to sleep.

I was so sensitive to light that when I went for a short walk at 2 in the morning, I wore sunglasses, and I still felt dazzled by the night light of the moon.

There were other problems as well but this was the largest problem for the last few days. It was just a headache and yet there are very few people who have a headache which does not end for that length of time at that intensity.

I'm so glad I did not go to hospital. By being home I could control the lighting, get to the shower, and keep the room completely quiet.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Don Chance said:

These little tiny mosquitos seem to come out of now where in Bangkok and bite me,maybe flies?  Also on the bus, why they don't spray the bus in the morning? Little tiny mosquitos all day in the buses.

The problem arises from the breeding areas, standing water, probably the canals, swamps and ponds, rice paddies. Myself, I would question the toxicity of the insecticide used, but might be worth the risk. If they spray they'd have to do it multiple times in the day since windows are usually open and allow them in all day. But I defer to the professionals, I'm sure they already know how to approach this, it's not like it's a new thing. In the US there is a program where thousands of genetically engineered sterile males are released and the females then lay unviable eggs. This has proven successful. 

With regard to the vaccine, from the CDC: Dengvaxia is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever, children in particular,  or populations in which most people have been previously infected. The value of Dengavaxia vaccine is limited by the fact that it may increase the risk of severe dengue in those who have not previously been infected.

I advise people tp go online perhaps Lazada or Shopee and look for repellent with the highest possible level of DEET. I wouldn't trust that 7-11 stuff. I brought my own from the US, high concentration made for hunters and campers. It's a little smelly, not in a real bad way, but it works very dependably. 

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:

How long is that mosquito grave...a month or something ?

I wish.

That was one day. Tossed the dried buggers out.

They seem to like the bathroom , hence thats where I put the trap.

Here is 3 days worth, from today:

IMG_7563.JPG

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

I wish.

That was one day. Tossed the dried buggers out.

They seem to like the bathroom , hence thats where I put the trap.

Here is 3 days worth, from today:

IMG_7563.JPG

We put mesh barriers on all windows when we got our house...never seen anything like that get in the house..that is nuts...dogs would nose open the mesh sliding doors at times and they'd get it - but 1 or 2 every few days !

Edited by freedomnow