French man Intending to retire in Thailand in 5 years from now

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That previously was the case.

Thinking that has changed and allows non Thai insurance companies.

Thinking that change occured Sept last year? 

When there was change in required coverage 

Yes there were some changes effective 1 Oct 2022....OA insurance changes which still made it VERY hard to allow the use of foreign insurance (thanks to the Thai insurance mafia) or allowing self-insuring if a person is denied/rejected insurance coverage.   And of course various notarizations/certifications by the gods also required if not buying/being rejected from obtaining an acceptable insurance policy.  The OA visa/extension medical coverage changes are still pretty much like asking a 75 year old in a wheel chair to run a military basic training obstacle course.

See full details in below immigration police order.

OA Visa Extension Requirements - 406244182_RTP-Order-No.654-2564-1RevisingClause2.22oforder327-2014 (7).pdf

Partial quote from above Immigration Police Order regarding the medical coverage requirement.

image.png.61a2189ac739fe6bd6ba01373ab92c7a.png

On 7/12/2023 at 7:23 AM, Henryford said:

Retired here 17 years, dead easy to renew visa every year, last month took me 15 minutes. Do it yourself don't use an agent. Best to have the 800k in the bank method.

Even better to import Bht 65k per month of which you can spend 100%. The 800k cannot be used so you still need money to live on (off?)

My experience has been that if you comply with the requirements for a Retirement visa,  you can get one with no trouble, but if you try to do it 'on the cheap'  you will get obstructions from most I/O  I have no problems with keeping 800KB in the bank, and regard it as final ,emergency insurance sum.

But.. my experience is that it is not easy t lie in Thailand without the frequent help of someone who is fluent in Thai.  I live up-country, it may be easier if you live in a major urban centre.

Do not burn any bridges you do not have to.  At least for the first 2 years, try to keep a way out if you find you need it.  A good rule to remember is that anything you bring into Thailand will have to stay there when (if ) you leave.  Buying a car/ property is much easier than selling one and getting the money back to France, especially if you have to leave in a hurry.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:59 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

Been here on a retirement visa for over 20 years. Most of that time I did my own paperwork and every time, I have found Immigration to be friendly and pleasant. Sometimes, I would have to go with some changes and get a different photo or form to fill out - I was living in an outer province - I had to mail in my 90 day report.

I am now in a larger province where there are visa agents who fill out all the paperwork and for a nominal fee, they make the entire process very easy and fast. 

I do meet the legal requirements and keep the 800,000 baht in the bank - 

It probably appears very confusing but if you qualify, it is not so bad and if you use an agent, it is very easy. 

Hey!
Your message seems reassuring about the potential hassle. But can’t you renew for an entire whole year? You have to report every 90 days? How much does it cost to do it through an agent?

Do you feel you made the right choice to go and live in Thailand? As a retiree, we can’t work or volunteer in Thailand… Hasn’t that be some kind of frustration? Has it never got boring because of this restriction? Just asking to get to know more,

thanks, ????

45 minutes ago, Franck60 said:

Your message seems reassuring about the potential hassle. But can’t you renew for an entire whole year? You have to report every 90 days?

Where 1FinickyOne talks "....report every 90 days...." he's not referring to annual visa/extension of stay renewal requirement.  Instead he referring to the separate 90 address reporting requirement where a person needs to report his current address to immigration every 90 days when staying in the country continuously  for 90 or more days.  Now if you exit/reenter Thailand before the 90 day address report is due the 90 date clock is reset to zero and no report is due until 90 days.   Or said another way every 90 days address report is a separate issue from the one year annual renewal/extension of a 1 year Non immigrant type visa/extension.

Now if you have a LTR or SMART visa the address reporting requirement is just every 365 days vs 90 days.

Edited by Pib
  • Love It 1

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

Where 1FinickyOne talks "....report every 90 days...." he's not referring to annual visa/extension of stay renewal requirement.  Instead he referring to the separate 90 address reporting requirement where a person needs to report his current address to immigration every 90 days when staying in the country continuously  for 90 or more days.  Now if you exit/reenter Thailand before the 90 day address report is due the 90 date clock is reset to zero and not report is due until 90 days.   Or said another way every 90 days address report is a separate issue from the one year annual renewal/extension of a 1 year Non immigrant type visa/extension.

Now if you have a LTR or SMART visa the address reporting requirement is just every 365 days vs 90 days.

Hi there,
… thank you for clarifying the 90 day report issue. It’s perfectly clear now,
Thanks,

On 7/12/2023 at 1:01 AM, Mike Teavee said:

"Retirement" Visas for Thailand are relatively easy to obtain/maintain but which one you go for depends mainly on your finances... 

1. If you have an income of > $80,000 per year or have > $40,000 and can invest $250,000 you can apply for the Long Term Resident "Wealthy Pensioner" Visa which will give you a 10 year Visa that can be extended for another 10 years assuming you still meet the criteria.
  2. If you have 800,000THB that you can leave in the bank or (as you are French, I believe your Embassy still provides Income Letters) can show an income of >65,000THB per month or a combination of the 2 (e.g. 400,000THB in the bank & income > 32,500THB per month) then you can get a Non-IMM O
  3. If you have no finances you can go see an Agent (approx 24,000THB for the initial Visa then 12,500THB each year to extend).  

In terms of obtaining your 1st Visa you have the choice of...

1. Obtaining it in your home country (NB Unless you have a good Health Insurance policy or are planning to get one then I would recommend going for a Non-IMM O Visa rather than a Non-IMM OA)
  2. Obtaining a Non-IMM O Visa in a neighbouring country to Thailand (I believe Laos & maybe Vietnam are favourite places to do this, you will need to be able to show the equivelant of 800,000THB in a Bank Account somewhere. 
  3. Enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt & convert in country (As mentioned approx. 24,000THB for an Agent to do this for you no proof of finances required - If you do it yourself you'll need the 800,000THB in a Bank Account & it will cost 2,000THB) 

Hi there,
Thank you so much for all the information. It’s super helpful.
So both the Non-IMM O and Non-IMM OA visas can be extended for one year? Would you say that most people favour the Non-IMM O kind of visa ?
Thank you,
Frank

51 minutes ago, Franck60 said:

You have to report every 90 days?

Yes but you can do it online. Best to live somewhere where the Immigration, driving licence and other government offices are close and not busy. 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, BritTim said:

At the current time, staying long term as a retiree is pretty easy. You get an initial visa, and then extend your permission to stay once a year. However, the rules are subject to change, and a lot can happen in the next five years. I can appreciate why you would want to have firm plans for your retirement but, if it involves Thailand, you will need to wait until a lot closer bto your retirement date before this is possible.

Hello,
Yeah, I understand that things are constantly subject to changes. I’m just starting to get curious about the current situation and requirements. It’s better to get well acquainted with the dealings beforehand… It’s easier to process that way,
Thanks,

On 7/12/2023 at 1:11 AM, bignok said:

Stay away from bad farangs is the main tip.

I don’t intend to mingle much with the expat community. I tend to keep to myself a lot.  I believe I will prefer to talk mostly to thai people. I’ve been living in Europe. Change will do me good,
thanks,

On 7/12/2023 at 1:21 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Prepare yourself by learning basic Thai phrases. It's a difficult language, but I've found the locals appreciate the attempt.

Also, don't burn any bridges. Many of us love living here (almost 18 years now for me) but Thailand is not for everybody.

Hey!
What do you mean when you give me the advice … « not to burn bridges »?
I believe I could be fine there in Thailand. I want change from Europe.

I will try to learn some thai once I live there (if it’s doable / not too hard). I believe I’ll be more looking to engage with thai people than with the expat community. I need this change,
Do you feel you made the right choice to go and live in Thailand?
As a retiree, we can’t work or volunteer in Thailand… Hasn’t that be some kind of frustration? Has it never got boring because of this restriction? Just asking to get to know more,
thanks,

On 7/12/2023 at 1:46 AM, VinnieK said:

I would look at other (nearer) possibilities..Georgia, E Europe,, Turkey, Egypt maybe 

Their culture, food etc is way closer to us than Thailand.

Yeah..even the Muslim ones.

Also, bear in mind that you will have emergencies as you age.

Suddenly, France is on the other side of the world and you are stuck in a Thai hospital with no friends/family ????

Hi there,
I don’t see myself living in a muslim country. Islam is a set of values and ideas I don’t always feel confortable with. Eastern Europe ? Yeah, why not, but then, I felt well in Thailand…
I don’t have really many friends nor family here so … that wouldn’t be an issue. I’m pretty much alone. As for the dire prospect of « being stuck » in a thai hospital far from france, well… I believe I would have to research information and see how I could get a reasonably good health insurance. I hope I could afford a reasonably good health insurance but I also believe that I’ll have to live and die somewhere.
I’m not sure I would go back to france, ever
I need a change. I haven’t felt that much happy living in france altogether. I would probably not miss it at all. Europe is good to grow and work but then, apart from that, it’s better to move on.
Thai food is excellent,

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 1:54 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with that.

First of all, where do you want to live? In Bangkok? Or Pattaya or Hua Hin? Or somewhere up country?

Do you have already any woman in mind who loves you so much and wants that you live with her in her village?

Many of us, including myself, that that we know Thailand after staying here for a couple of months.

And then, maybe 2 or 3 years later, we realize that we didn't really know it.

And then 10 years later...

You get the idea.

If you think you want to live here maybe start by thinking you want to live here for a few months. If you still like it, then maybe for a year or two, and if you still like it, then stay.

It seems too many make the mistake of deciding they want to live in Thailand, and if they don't really like it anymore, they feel like a failure for not living here forever. Don't do that.

Keep your mind open that maybe you don't like it - for whatever reason.

And I would suggest at least for the first two years or so make no long-term commitment. Don't buy a condominium, don't buy a house for your darling. Just live! 

Hi there!
I believe I would like Thailand. I lived 20 months in England and visited 26 different countries (some of them multiple times). I’ve already stayed in Thailand for about three months. It was fine. I don’t want to live in France anymore. 
I know no one in Thailand. I haven’t been to Phuket, Pattaya nor Hua Hin, yet
I’ve mainly been to BKK, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Laos, and a few towns in between.

I agree with a step by step approach. There is no rush to buy a condominium or settle anywhere precisely. I’d like to explore the places I haven’t been to… and after 1, 2 or 3 years, I’ll see my best options. My hands are free. Nothing is cast in stone yet,
Thank you !

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 1:56 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, that reminds me of the father of a friend who might move to a home for old people in Thailand.

Under normal conditions they can take care of him. But if he has a big medial problem, then what?

That is a real problem. 

Didn’t he have a health insurance to cover hospitalisation ?

On 7/12/2023 at 2:23 AM, Henryford said:

Retired here 17 years, dead easy to renew visa every year, last month took me 15 minutes. Do it yourself don't use an agent. Best to have the 800k in the bank method.

Hey!
That sounds good.
Which kind of visa did you renew ? In which city did you do it ?
Thank you!

On 7/12/2023 at 11:46 AM, VinnieK said:

I would look at other (nearer) possibilities..Georgia, E Europe,, Turkey, Egypt maybe 

Their culture, food etc is way closer to us than Thailand.

Yeah..even the Muslim ones.

Also, bear in mind that you will have emergencies as you age.

Suddenly, France is on the other side of the world and you are stuck in a Thai hospital with no friends/family ????

Are you overlooking the  reason why so many guys want to retire in LOS?

For the food, sure sure????

On 7/12/2023 at 8:28 AM, LOG54 said:

Hello

We are french and retired here for nearly 10 years..We had before spent 5 years in Thailand from 2000 and 2005..

We also stayed in other countries ..India..South America and to tell the truth, even if it is not perfect here (which country is ?)  we enjoy it here..

First of all, go for a O visa (not for OA visa as this would require an expensive health thai insurance)

As a health insurance go for CFE (caisse francais de l etranger) and subscribe at least before 3 months after leaving France)..

Then choose where you would like to live... Islands are nice for holiday, but for long term not so much..Phuket, climate seems to us quite humid "tropical"..Chiang Mai, cold in winter + no sea + haze issues

...so we are happy with Pattaya choice..we live a bit outside, right on the beach, climate is good, all types of restaurants to go out, not far from airport or Bangkok, good hospitals and close to Bangkok if you still need better ones..

We understand your wish to leave France, as we wouldn't like to go back at any cost

Have a great day

Hey !
Thanks for sharing advice and information…
What you mentioned about O visa and the health insurance is particularly helpful to me.
Is the CFE health insurance the good choice according to your experience ? Is the protection ok ? Is it affordable ? I guess it’s reassuring to have this covered.
Did you advise to subscribe before or after leaving France. I didn’t get it.

I don’t know where I’ll choose to live yet. I thought I would hop from place to place for at least a year before settling on a more permanent basis. Did you choose to buy a condominium or house or have chosen to keep on renting ?

I’ve only visited Thailand for three months some time ago. I didn’t get to know phuket, pattaya nor hua hin so I have to explore more and check out those places. I’m not too worried about the location as I can take some time before making up my mind.
Thank you,

On 7/12/2023 at 9:00 AM, newnative said:

I would also recommend giving Pattaya a look.  It checks all the boxes for me.

I definitely will check out Pattaya or places nearby.

Thank you,

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:08 AM, khunPer said:

I've been living here on retirement extension since 2006 – I made an early retirement when 57 year old – it's easy, if you just follow the rules and has enough fund to be self supported.

You need 800k baht deposited in a That bank – preferably in a 12-month fixed account – as financial support for your permission to stay in Thailand as a retiree. Using the deposit method and just leave the money in a separate account makes it easy for both you and the immigration officer, and you can sleep nice in nights not having nightmare about funds for next annual extension of stay. Furthermore the fixed-account gives you a better interest, which you can withdraw once a year.

You need a non immigrant type O-visa that gives you permission to stay in the country 90 days from arrival. About two weeks or one month before your stay expires, you can apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement. There is a bit of paperwork – varies from province to province – but nothing you cannot do yourself. I live in the probably most demanding province for extension as retiree – Surat Thani, Koh Samui – and it's not that big a deal.

To have a good life a retiree in Thailand the requested amount of income of 65k baht per month, or 800k baht per year, actually fit quite well. You can live for less money per month and you can easily also spend a lot more. Of course it depending of one's life-style and eventual family relation with a native; i.e. a Thai girlfriend or wife is not free, you are the provider, which can include part of an extended Thai family.

I'm still happy here after 18 years – my first year here was with a 12-month multiple entry visa, as I still traveled a lot between my European home country and Land of Smiles – I have not regretted my decision of settle here...????

Hello !
Thank you so much for all the shared information and details. It’s helpful to hear from someone who lived through this life experience in thailand. It all sounds positive.
I’m curious. Do you still go back to your native country or has become somewhat unappealing now. I guess at one point, there’s no incentive to visit our native country. I’m not sure I would go back to france after settling in Thailand,
Thank you,
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:41 AM, Yme said:

You might also look at Cambodia. The only requirement is be agd 55+ and not working. 
No minimum bank balance required
No 90-day reporting
No reentry visa requirement
Get 8% pa interest paid monthly on your savings in USD or KHR on 12 mth TDs. 

Hi there !

Why not ? It’s always good to have a back-up plan. Thank for sharing information. I only stayed one week in Cambodia when I visited Angkor.

I’ll keep it in mind,

Thank you,

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:54 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with that.

First of all, where do you want to live? In Bangkok? Or Pattaya or Hua Hin? Or somewhere up country?

Do you have already any woman in mind who loves you so much and wants that you live with her in her village?

Many of us, including myself, that that we know Thailand after staying here for a couple of months.

And then, maybe 2 or 3 years later, we realize that we didn't really know it.

And then 10 years later...

You get the idea.

If you think you want to live here maybe start by thinking you want to live here for a few months. If you still like it, then maybe for a year or two, and if you still like it, then stay.

It seems too many make the mistake of deciding they want to live in Thailand, and if they don't really like it anymore, they feel like a failure for not living here forever. Don't do that.

Keep your mind open that maybe you don't like it - for whatever reason.

And I would suggest at least for the first two years or so make no long-term commitment. Don't buy a condominium, don't buy a house for your darling. Just live! 

Great Post!

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:47 AM, rwill said:

I've never had a problem getting annual extensions.  The original visa was much more work than the extensions in Thailand.

I would say to avoid getting an O-A visa so you don't have to worry about the extra insurance requirement.  There are thread on the forum here about how to apply for an O visa after you arrive in Thailand.  The hardest part with that seems to be opening a Thai bank account which you will need to get extensions.  If you already have a Thai bank account great.

I also find it easier to just leave 800,000 baht in a separate account to use just for immigration.

Also you do need to think about medical insurance here.  If you don't have any pre existing conditions right now it would be best to have insurance already.  All the insurance companies here will try to exclude everything they can.  It also gets quite more expensive the older you get.

Hello !
Thank you for your very thoughtful and informative message. It’s reassuring. 
My project is 5 years in the future so it’s still a bit far out. The demands and requirements from thai authorities might change a bit over time but as of now, it looks rather straightforward.
I’ll have to check out this health insurance thing.
Thank you,

On 7/12/2023 at 9:49 AM, bignok said:

Sounds way better

Except its Cambodia

Hey…

… what do you mean ?
Is it less pleasant option for retirement? Just asking. I don’t know enough about this country.
Have a good day,

Frank

On 7/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, save the frogs said:

seriously? you guys got the cote d'azur, one of the nicest regions in the world.

world-class cuisine, wine, warm weather and beaches in the south. 

also, EU passport gives you chance to retire in greece/portugal etc... also with warm weather and beaches. 

thailand is cool too, but with health insurance issues in later years, i would consider going back to france at some point if i were you.

are you worried about recent politics? i dont think france will get worse and worse. but maybe politics is over my head, so what do I know? 

good luck. 

Isn’t France more expensive?

On 7/12/2023 at 9:55 AM, spidermike007 said:

The retirement visa is easy to get. If you have enough money in the bank it is inexpensive. If you do not, you pay an agent a fee of 15,000 to 30,000 baht per year, and all is handled for you.

My question is why wait? I presume you must still be working and earning money needed to retire? Who knows what the world will be like in 5 years, but for now many of us enjoy very good lives here. Lives we could only dream about back in our native countries.

I don’t have much doubt about that. Life would be kinder to me there.
Unfortunately, I still have to work for a few years in France. That’s the way it works, 
  • Like 1