French man Intending to retire in Thailand in 5 years from now

On 7/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, scorecard said:

As eluded to, good idea to use the gap years to learn Thai, some preety good web sites nowadays.

I like languages and if it’s achievable… well, I might try to learn some Thai. But I’ll think about that when I get there. There’ll be more incentive… With my work, I have enough on my plate for now

On 7/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, Pib said:

As mentioned earlier avoid a Non "OA" visa due to the medical insurance requirement.  Don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to have medical insurance....it's just Thai immigration basically requires a person with a Non OA visa to have very specific medical insurance from a select group of "Thai" insurance companies....the insurance is expensive and the coverage is weak....full of exclusions.  Thailand makes it pretty much impossible to use a foreign insurance policy to initially get or extend a Non OA visa.   Even though you may have outstanding home country medical insurance that provides worldwide coverage it would not be accepted for annual extensions of your Non OA visa.  Up until 2019 the Non OA visa was VERY popular...had been for many years....but the medical insurance requirement that began in 2019 turned it into a visa to avoid.

If going with a 1 year type visa go with the Non O visa...no medical insurance required to get the visa or annual extensions.  Annual extensions will cost Bt1,900.  See the Thai Embassy in Paris webpage at the bottom of this post for details. 

And if you meet the requirements and want to avoid 1 year extensions consider a 10 year Long Term Resident (LTR) visa....probably the LTR Pensioner visa if you meet the requirements.   This LTR visa is really a 5 year plus 5 year visa totaling 10 years...although issued for 10 years you only initially get a 5 year permitted to stay and just before that 5 years is up you apply for an LTR extension to get the remaining 5 years of the 10 year visa.  Cost of a 10 year LTR is Bt50K (averages out to Bt5K/year)....no fee for the 2nd 5 year extension. Full details at the BoI LTR website and also the Thai Embassy Paris website.

Thai Embassy Paris....Non O over 50 visa

http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa-rdv/les-types-de-visa-et-les-documents-necessaires/visa-non-immigrant-o/

Non-immigrant visa O

Non-immigrant visa O

image.png.ade1ce6db7398320d8a7bf0ac304bf30.png

Hello,
thank you so much for this thoughtful and informative message.
It’s complete…
Have a good day,

On 7/13/2023 at 5:07 AM, Robin said:

My experience has been that if you comply with the requirements for a Retirement visa,  you can get one with no trouble, but if you try to do it 'on the cheap'  you will get obstructions from most I/O  I have no problems with keeping 800KB in the bank, and regard it as final ,emergency insurance sum.

But.. my experience is that it is not easy t lie in Thailand without the frequent help of someone who is fluent in Thai.  I live up-country, it may be easier if you live in a major urban centre.

Do not burn any bridges you do not have to.  At least for the first 2 years, try to keep a way out if you find you need it.  A good rule to remember is that anything you bring into Thailand will have to stay there when (if ) you leave.  Buying a car/ property is much easier than selling one and getting the money back to France, especially if you have to leave in a hurry.

How do you do when you need help from someone fluent in thai ?

Why would I need an emergency way out ? I don’t intend to get into trouble. I understand that Thailand may be a challenge to navigate but I hope I won’t get in these kinds of situations ……….

9 hours ago, Franck60 said:

Hey!
Your message seems reassuring about the potential hassle. But can’t you renew for an entire whole year? You have to report every 90 days? How much does it cost to do it through an agent?

Do you feel you made the right choice to go and live in Thailand? As a retiree, we can’t work or volunteer in Thailand… Hasn’t that be some kind of frustration? Has it never got boring because of this restriction? Just asking to get to know more,

thanks, ????

Yes. I do renew for an entire year - the 90 days is just a notification - I used to mail it in but now have an agent who takes care of that too... I never remember as for me it is a nominal fee- I think maybe 6,000 baht for the agent and that includes the 1900 baht fee for immigration - - the 90 day notification is maybe 1500 baht for 4 times for the year???? 

Yes, for me, I definitely made the right choice. I was first here as a young backpacker many years ago and fell in love with the people and the culture. 

No, it is never frustrating that I can't work here. It does not mean that I cannot get involved with people or donate to charities. Life in general can be boring anywhere, and yes I get bored here, but not because I can't work. I would get far far more bored in my home country. 

I assume you have visited here, not sure if you mentioned this in your initial post, but keep working and keep visiting and keep experiencing the country. I have been charmed for 50 years - - here and nowhere else. And keep learning - the language is very helpful. 

ps - I think you will find the language a fun challenge. If English is not your first language, your written English is terrific, better than many Americans... I am here a long time and never have any problematic situations. You will be fine - I also am not looking for trouble and do not get drunk nor do I enjoy hanging around drunks. 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

Travel around first. You have 5 years. Pattaya is one place I'd skip. Start in Phuket then go Nakhon si Thammarat up the coast right up to Chiang Mai.

Hi there,
Yeah, that’s what I’d like to do. I’ll have no urge to settle anywhere so soon.
There are many places I don’t know… and I want to explore them. 
Why would you skip Pattaya? I would be curious to know that place too ????
Thanks for the advice,

9 hours ago, Franck60 said:

Hi there,
Thank you so much for all the information. It’s super helpful.
So both the Non-IMM O and Non-IMM OA visas can be extended for one year? Would you say that most people favour the Non-IMM O kind of visa ?
Thank you,
Frank

Yes both Visas can continue to be extended for 1 year at a time for as long as you meet the requirements.

The only difference between the 2 when it comes to extending is you will need Health Insurance for the Non-IMM OA which is why most people prefer the Non-IMM O. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, Franck60 said:
Hey !
Thanks for sharing advice and information…
What you mentioned about O visa and the health insurance is particularly helpful to me.
Is the CFE health insurance the good choice according to your experience ? Is the protection ok ? Is it affordable ? I guess it’s reassuring to have this covered.
Did you advise to subscribe before or after leaving France. I didn’t get it.

I don’t know where I’ll choose to live yet. I thought I would hop from place to place for at least a year before settling on a more permanent basis. Did you choose to buy a condominium or house or have chosen to keep on renting ?

I’ve only visited Thailand for three months some time ago. I didn’t get to know phuket, pattaya nor hua hin so I have to explore more and check out those places. I’m not too worried about the location as I can take some time before making up my mind.
Thank you,

Hello

You can see covering details and price on CFE website.. Advantage is the price, you are covered mainly 60 to 65 % of spent money..Also they take in charge preexisting health conditions (which usually are excluded by private insurances)

Pls note that maximum price taken into account for refund is the price for same treatment in France..if you avoid private luxury hospitals it is OK..we go to Queen Sirikit, excellent doctors and reasonable price.

We had purchased a condo but sold it recently taking into account this would be a problem for our kids when time comes and we now rent..

Finally we find it better..we took a 3 years contract as it was our choice..but you can take shorter ones..Also, renting allows you to move if you wish or...if noisy neighbours have appeared, which happens here and which is a difficult issue to solve..

Have a good day

• Love It 1

Forgot to answer one point..

When you leave France you're covered for max 3 months by french social security (travel purpose)

Therefore I recommended contracting CFE during this 3 months period..

Don't forget to change your tax department you're moving abroad and you will then be on Centre des non residents Noisy le Grand center..Depending if you have only 1 pension or various, this will reduce your tax..Also inform your retirement pension companies as you won t pay any CSG/Crds on your pension..

For tax too difficult to explain it on the site and also is of no interest for majority of participants..

If you need infos pls send a private message

Have a good day

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, Franck60 said:
Hello !
Thank you so much for all the shared information and details. It’s helpful to hear from someone who lived through this life experience in thailand. It all sounds positive.
I’m curious. Do you still go back to your native country or has become somewhat unappealing now. I guess at one point, there’s no incentive to visit our native country. I’m not sure I would go back to france after settling in Thailand,
Thank you,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I hardly go back to my cold native Scandinavian country. I have no family left there that I'm in contact with, but I have a lot of friends. Many of my friends began coming to Thailand after I moved out, so some of them I see more often now, than when we lived a few kilometers apart in my home-country. I even had a friend that I sometimes helped with computer-network in his business. One day he bought a new laptop and couldn't get it to connect to the Internet. I tried to explain the procedure detailed and made screen shots of it, but instead he answered me that he now had put the new laptop in a bag and bought a ticket to Thailand. Of course, settling in a holiday destination makes a difference; if I had chosen a remote village up in Nakhon Nowhere, my friends might not have passed by regularly.

If nothing change so I have to leave Thailand for whatever reason, then I have no desire to go back to my home-country. My half Thai daughter is now in boarding high-school in my home country, so I have been back twice because of her within the last four years. Both to introduce her to also her half home-country, and to set her off at school. Then I of course also used the occasion to meet some of my friends; especially those that think Thailand is too far away or don't plan to vist Southeast Asia. If it hasn't been for my daughter going to school, I wouldn't have been back.

Today it's quite easy to migrate and live abroad with Internet communication. I've tearlier been living half a year in Tunisia back in the late 1960s when it was snail mail, and a long-distance telephone connection preferably should be ordered a day before. Today you can easily keep your bank – even some business – in your home country and do litterally everything online via the Internet. Cheap or free video communication – not to forget social media as for example Facebook – also makes it easy to keep contact and follow friends and eventual family. I still follows the news from my home country, so in a way I don't feel far away – and reading the weather forecast from home especially makes me happy when living a place with all year summer and barefoot Xmas...????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, Franck60 said:

As a retiree, we can’t work or volunteer in Thailand…

I have a couple of points to make on this.

First of all, following some rule changes a year or two ago, it is now safe to do many kinds of volunteer work as a retiree. There are restrictions, most notably that you cannot receive any financial benefit.

Secondly, it is true that you cannot work on the most common type of permission to stay in Thailand for retirees. If you are well off financially, and want to avoid that restriction, look into the LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) visa that optionally provides you with a work permit.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Franck60 said:

Why would I need an emergency way out ? I don’t intend to get into trouble. I understand that Thailand may be a challenge to navigate but I hope I won’t get in these kinds of situations ……….

Thailand is not fully stable. Look at what has happened in Myanmar (right next door) or, even worse, in Sudan. Indeed, political violence, possibly severe, is likely here a few months from now. Circumstances can arise where you need to relocate temporarily or permanently. That cannot be done without some money. Another possible need for money can occur if you are up country and involved in an accident. Good insurance will cover everything if you are in a private hospital in a large city. If you need treatment in a provincial hospital, they will want you to pay cash and sort out reimbursement from your insurance company yourself. Given that the treatment will often involve overcharging, besides needing to front the money, you can be in for a tough time getting the insurance to reimburse.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:46 AM, VinnieK said:

Suddenly, France is on the other side of the world and you are stuck in a Thai hospital with no friends/family ????

Yes, that's why I am planning to go the other way in a few years. Not getting younger, my plan is to reestablish myself back home, then coming back for shorter holidays. 

On 7/14/2023 at 12:32 PM, Franck60 said:

Didn’t he have a health insurance to cover hospitalisation ?

He has (for old people in Germany free) government health insurance. But that is only valid in Germany, or by now probably in the EU. It is not valid in Thailand.

Probably in his old age he won't be able to get a long-term health insurance for Thailand, and if he would be able to get it, then it would be very expensive.

That is the same problem for many old people.

• Love It 1

On 7/14/2023 at 6:12 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Many retain some allegiance with their home country, a bank account an address ( usually a family member ) or a house/apartment etc  usually rented out.

A bad relationship, lack of tolerance for the food/people/weather can cause depression and many find themselves returning to their home country.

Of course, many have success here also and find happiness but it is always advisable to keep a plan B ( return home ) available if possible.

Hi! 
…… I completely get the idea but I don’t think I can afford a plan B.
I don’t really have any family left. I will probably prefer to sell my apartment and have the money available in a bank. If I kept an apartment to rent out here back home, then, I would need someone to help me follow up on the situation. I don’t have any support system in France. So, I might need to burn ???? some bridges. 
But I heed your advice to keep at least one or two bank accounts opened in France.
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:35 PM, save the frogs said:

not if you factor in health insurance / self-insuring in thailand.

yes, until after 65 maybe

For french people, there is the CFE (Caisse des Français à l’Etranger)… A good option for the health insurance,

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have a couple of points to make on this.

First of all, following some rule changes a year or two ago, it is now safe to do many kinds of volunteer work as a retiree. There are restrictions, most notably that you cannot receive any financial benefit.

Secondly, it is true that you cannot work on the most common type of permission to stay in Thailand for retirees. If you are well off financially, and want to avoid that restriction, look into the LTR-WP (Long Term Resident Wealthy Pensioner) visa that optionally provides you with a work permit.

Hi there,

… thank you for the information. If some kind of (selfless) VOLUNTEERING ACTIVITIES have become allowed, it brings some more flexibility & interest in our lives there,

Thanks,

On 7/14/2023 at 1:32 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes. I do renew for an entire year - the 90 days is just a notification - I used to mail it in but now have an agent who takes care of that too... I never remember as for me it is a nominal fee- I think maybe 6,000 baht for the agent and that includes the 1900 baht fee for immigration - - the 90 day notification is maybe 1500 baht for 4 times for the year???? 

Yes, for me, I definitely made the right choice. I was first here as a young backpacker many years ago and fell in love with the people and the culture. 

No, it is never frustrating that I can't work here. It does not mean that I cannot get involved with people or donate to charities. Life in general can be boring anywhere, and yes I get bored here, but not because I can't work. I would get far far more bored in my home country. 

I assume you have visited here, not sure if you mentioned this in your initial post, but keep working and keep visiting and keep experiencing the country. I have been charmed for 50 years - - here and nowhere else. And keep learning - the language is very helpful. 

ps - I think you will find the language a fun challenge. If English is not your first language, your written English is terrific, better than many Americans... I am here a long time and never have any problematic situations. You will be fine - I also am not looking for trouble and do not get drunk nor do I enjoy hanging around drunks. 

Thank you for congratulating my written english. It’s indeed a second language. I can speak spanish too. My english is ok due to the fact that I love languages. I am used to reading everyday in english.

I’ll have probably a go at learning Thai. I’ll even might try to attend some kind of Thai course for beginners… I’ll see by then how I can navigate this…

Anyway, I appreciate what you say about not getting drunk. When I stay/live abroad, I never drink alcohol or get drunk. Mistakes may have greater consequences when we are abroad. For me, it a way to stay safe and enjoy more too,

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

so you're saying the public health care in france extends to other countries if someone retires abroad? that's quite progressive. i've never heard of that before. 

Yes…. That’s what I’m saying. Which was your home country?

22 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

my country has nothing like that.

i have not heard of any western country that has anything similar.

it's quite an impressive policy on the part of france.

Check your in-box. I just sent you a message,